Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel Pump Electrical Connector
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
warrenoliver
I just installed my rebuilt fuel pump - thanks Rich at HPH piratenanner.gif It is on a '73 2.0 with the fuel pump in the original engine compartment location.
The plastic electrical connector seems loose. Does it just slide on and stay on by friction, or is it supposed to snap into the fuel pump housing? I can't see that it should snap in, and I don't want to break it by pushing too hard. I am afraid it will vibrate loose and I will be stuck again with no fuel pump. If it just slides on and stays on with friction, how do I make it fit a little tighter?
BTW, that fuel pump is a bitch to remove and reinstall. Tiny flexible hands would be a real bonus!

Thanks.

Warrenoliver
Cap'n Krusty
The metal female spade lug connectors should fit tightly on the male lugs. The plastic is just a locating and insulation device. The Cap'n
Dave_Darling
If you are motivated, you can pop the metal connectors out of the plastic plug and give them a small squeeze with some pliers to tighten them up. Do this one wire at a time so you don't mix the wires up!!

Don't squeeze too tight or you'll break the connector. (Don't ask how I know.)

The connectors have a tab, or a "barb", that locks them into the plug body. If you have a small enough screwdriver, or a similar implement, you can push that barb in toward the rest o the connector to release it from the plug. Notice that the end of the plug has T-shaped slots where the connectors go. You push the tool in the leg of the T, and push the barb upward toward the top of the T. If you do it right, you can then pull the connector out of the back of the plug with just about zero resistance.

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.