Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What spare parts do you keep on hand (in your garage or trunk)?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
drue
I just bought a '75 914-4 (converted to carburetor) and was curious if anyone has suggestions regarding what spare parts they would keep on hand (either in their trunk or in their garage). As a new 914 owner, it would be helpful to know what things fail most often so I will be prepared when my 32-year old car breaks down. Any ideas?

Joe Ricard
Most of us have an entire parts car.
Some of us that live close together share a parts car. So basically an extra everything.
TC.356
Duct tape, vice grips, wire coat hanger and a buck knife for starters. No kidding, really.
drue
QUOTE(TC.356 @ Nov 7 2007, 08:22 AM) *

Duct tape, vice grips, wire coat hanger and a buck knife for starters. No kidding, really.

What's the wire coat hanger for? Just spare wire for whatever?
Allan
Throttle cable, clutch cable, a few feet of electrical wire and assorted electrical connectors, fuses, distributor cap, rotor, points, plugs, and a qt. of oil.
type47
fan belt, points, spark plug

if fuel injected (you said yours has (a) carb(s)), 1.8 dual relay, fuel pump, haynes, electrical diagram, DMM, tools, mechanic suit, mirror or piece of a mirror, fuses...
TeenerTim
QUOTE(TC.356 @ Nov 7 2007, 10:22 AM) *

Amen on the vice-grips. I had the end of a throttle cable break once. I was able to clamp the vice-grips to the cable and use them just like a gas pedal.

Spare cables, plugs, points, tools, tools, tools...

Oh, and steal as many handi-wipe packets from the restaurant as you can.
orthobiz
This is a good post:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...c=40479&hl=

Paul
Pat Garvey
In the garage? Everything (just about) but a spare motor & tranny. But, I've "accumulated" over 35 years.

On the road (out of town)? Fuses, relays, a piece of all types of fuel & vacuum line, plugs, points, condenser, oil & gas filters, 2 spare lugnuts (don't ask why), throttle & clutch cables, master cylinder (don't ask why), TPS, AAR, injector, fuel lines clamps, shop towels, oil, brake fluid & lotsa tools, including a macro & micro torque wrench! Sometimes we even have space for luggage.
Pat
PeeGreen 914
Who are you all kidding... Just keep up on your AAA membership biggrin.gif Nothing worse than working on your car on the side of the road.
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif

Throttle cable,clutch cable and extra end,2 extra lug nuts, small 3/8's drive

socket set ,reg and metric verious metric wenches. screw drivers,zip tyes,elec

tape. Never had to use any of them, do in part that i try to keep up on maintain-

ence. Right know i feel i can jump in my 914 and drive it anywhere in the U.S.

And i seconed the A.A.A. membership,they offer 2 get the most expencive one

as as it allows the longest towing. All of this is a security blanket,if you are on top

of ,tune,valve adjustment ,and maintaince these cars are amazingly dependable

Dave slap.gif

orange914
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Nov 7 2007, 07:15 AM) *

Most of us have an entire parts car.
Some of us that live close together share a parts car. So basically an extra everything.

welcome.png always happy to hear from indiana group, i grew up in winona lake myself!

joe is right most of us have a spare teener or 2 around, parted down, condensed to 6 shelfs and body parts behind the garage. fortunately here in ca. there are reasonable deals on dead ones. heres a good example of todays find just 1.5 hrs from me!
http://www.914club.com/bbs2/index.php?show...c=69202&hl=
although i think that they are fastly drying up. wish you best with the 914

mike (still a hoosier at heart)

oh yeah, duct tape and a qt of oil. secondary backup a AAA towing icon8.gif
Root_Werks
Nothing, I live on the edge! And I put over 70 a day on mine! driving.gif
JRust
I always keep 2 or 3 parts cars around! Just give yourself a few months & you too will have a parts car. When you kick the wifes car out of the garage you will become a true teener screwy.gif
dinomium
QUOTE(JRust @ Nov 10 2007, 10:44 AM) *

I always keep 2 or 3 parts cars around! Just give yourself a few months & you too will have a parts car. When you kick the wifes car out of the garage you will become a true teener screwy.gif

Out of the garage items:
Wife's car
Lawn mower
rakes shovels axe
Canoe
Bikes
garbage cans
small dogs
cedar from deck project
next will be the table and chop saws!
SGB
in car-
spark plugs and a SP wrench, carb cleaner, clutch cable, extra round black relay, electrical tape, fuses, and volt meter.
at home-
jack-stands, battery charger, torque wrench, and something I often use are some "wobbly" extensions for sockets I got from JC Whitney.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.