Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 and 911sc prices on a collision course?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jasons
Is it just me or are 914 and 911sc prices on a collision course? I'm tempted to jump to the dark side happy11.gif
Ferg
Very nice 914's and so so 911 SC's cross path price wise , but the nice SC's are still bringing the $$

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/78-Porsche-...1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1798-Porsch...1QQcmdZViewItem
jasons
I can't see the ads at work, but I have watched 911 values enough to agree with you. Targas are usually the cheapest too, and I prefer coupes.

However, I have seen some decent starter SC's between $10k and $12k.
jaminM3
QUOTE(Ferg @ Nov 7 2007, 11:50 AM) *

Very nice 914's and so so 911 SC's cross path price wise , but the nice SC's are still bringing the $$

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/78-Porsche-...1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1798-Porsch...1QQcmdZViewItem

Both of these haven't met reserve, I bet they don't sell...

Here are some that sold:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1983-PORSCH...1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsche-911...1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsche-911...1QQcmdZViewItem

idea.gif
woobn8r
Maybe I got out in time....I sold my '72 911T 2.4 coupe (S Spec) with a few upgrades (and I rebuilt her) for $24,900 18 months ago....although it just resold at $31,000 about 2 months ago....If 911 prices are dropping I haven't seen it.
jasons
QUOTE(woobn8r @ Nov 7 2007, 12:57 PM) *

Maybe I got out in time....I sold my '72 911T 2.4 coupe (S Spec) with a few upgrades (and I rebuilt her) for $24,900 18 months ago....although it just resold at $31,000 about 2 months ago....If 911 prices are dropping I haven't seen it.

I wouldn't compare long-hood trends with short-hood trends. Long hoods are going up universally. 912's too.
914-8
The prices for NICE 911SCs are stable, or even rising a bit.

The prices for average or below average SCs is still dropping. But it is expensive to take a below average SC and make it nice again.
Ferg
QUOTE(914-8 @ Nov 7 2007, 01:19 PM) *

The prices for NICE 911SCs are stable, or even rising a bit.

The prices for average or below average SCs is still dropping. But it is expensive to take a below average SC and make it nice again.

agree.gif
jasons
Ok those 2 ebay auctions are exceptional cars. But at $19k-$20k, I'm looking at G50 Carreras, not SC's. One of my friends picked up a G50 Carrera sunroof coupe with like 90k on the clock and pristine condition for right at $19k. He found it in the pelican classifieds, and the seller was having problems finding a buyer. This was a couple years ago, but I doubt G50 values have changed much either way in 2 years.

Here is a link to the actual ad for his car.

Pelican link
Thack
[/quote]

agree.gif
[/quote]
Ditto. I had a 79 SC that only cost $5000 but it needed a lot of work. Most parts cost more than you would think just because it's for a 911. Plus 914 guys are competing for used motor parts and wheels so those parts aren't getting cheaper.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(jasons @ Nov 7 2007, 01:46 PM) *

Ok those 2 ebay auctions are exceptional cars. But at $19k-$20k, I'm looking at G50 Carreras, not SC's. One of my friends picked up a G50 Carrera sunroof coupe with like 90k on the clock and pristine condition for right at $19k. He found it in the pelican classifieds, and the seller was having problems finding a buyer. This was a couple years ago, but I doubt G50 values have changed much either way in 2 years.

Here is a link to the actual ad for his car.

Pelican link

My Carrera with 60K is nearly like new... I have been asked how much and when I said $28K a couple guys have said that if I was serious they were going for there checkbook. The SC's have gone up a little as have the Carreras. Ebay is really not the place to check market prices...
PeeGreen 914
Any pre '80 911 is going to be going up. I bought my '78 911SC for 12,000 and sold it for 17,000 six months later. If it is pre SC it is really going up. Most of the '70-'73's are going up in large leaps. 914's have only been going up over the past few years, and the more people are finding out about them the more they are going up.
jasons
You guys keep pointing out exceptional examples of the model. I'm talking about average condition, 100k+ mile, 25 year old cars. I don't see the average condition SC appreciating, especially in todays market. If you bought a 78 SC for $12k and sold it for $17k 6 months later, that wasn't appreciation. That was a good buy and a better sell. Theres no way that car appreciated $5k in 6 months. That pretty much tells me one thing I already thought... I'm pretty confident, I could get a reasonable condition SC for $12k. Not showroom, just reasonable for the age.

I'm talking about something like this....
Ebay SC example

Yeah its ebay, but ebay is a real marketplace with buyers and sellers.

woobn8r
I just looked on my local PCA site...

3 SCs... $13,000 (Targa), $17,000 (targa), $21,000 (coupe)
all reasonably average cars with no special "upgrades"

I think you can always find a "cheaper" car but I would not say SC prices are coming down (even though it's fall)....the SC is the least desireable 911 IMO, but still wildly popular.
jaminM3
QUOTE(woobn8r @ Nov 8 2007, 08:35 AM) *

the SC is the least desireable 911 IMO, but still wildly popular.

I remember reading a Used Car Classic in Road and Track about the 911 and the SC was recommended because it had the Turbo Motor without the turbo basically and better reliability than the earlier models confused24.gif

I personally love the SC, but I would rather have a 993, then a Carrera, then an SC. driving.gif
JWest
I just helped a friend buy a 911 SC coupe (this past May). We looked at about 5 cars in person - all in the 10K range. All were extremely presentable and needed nothing fixed to drive across country. He bought one for $8500 and drove it from Oregon to Texas. Great, solid, good looking car. It was not an exceptional deal according to what we experienced.

A 2.0L 914 in similar condition (which in most cases means it has had restoration work done to get it back to that condition) is a $10K+ car right now.

dlo914
agree.gif w/ the 993 the lines on those babies are nice and the push of the 3.6 :chills: biggrin.gif
JWest
QUOTE(woobn8r @ Nov 8 2007, 09:35 AM) *

the SC is the least desireable 911 IMO

Your opinion may be true for you, but does not mesh with the market - the '74 to '77 IS the least desirable 911 when it comes to the purchasing public.
woobn8r
People may not like the 2.7 911s because of Bruce Andersons book, but the 3.0 SC is the worst power to weight ratio IIRC...

Still, the first Porsche I ever drove was an SC and It was great enough to captivated me....7 Porsches later I still like them but would take a long hood or '74-'77 car first as they are lighter & a 993 before an SC because It's just a great car.

IF I found a good SC at a good price though....I wouldn't turn it down as "least desireable 911" still is more desireable than MOST cars!!!.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.