Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Jake Raby engines at a bargain
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
johannes
Just checked the pricelist for the 914 engines ...

Wow ! I found some changes in price policy ...

http://www.aircooledtechnology.com/store/home.php?cat=344

Hi Jake, did you found some chineese workers next door ? biggrin.gif

BTW , what is the difference between Sportline and Daily Driver ?
davep
A better bargain for most foreigners. Our Canadian dollar went from about US$0.86 to US$1.10 in the course of the last year or so. It has been gaining about a cent every few days recently. I remember as a youngster it was at US$1.05 but it has spent most of the last 30 years below par.
johannes
A bargain for europeans for sure... Divide the price by 1.47 and you have the price in Euros ...

If this rate is going to last, I know where I am going to spend my next holydays.
Joe Ricard
Funny the 2316 that I selected was 10K. and that was not even all the really cool stuff.
Rand
2270 torquer, mallory, weber 44s, dtm... $10,750. That's what I expected.

If I could afford it I would write a check today. Light, 200ish hp, reliable, easy to install, great weight balance in a 914, simple/clean... It's pretty tough to put together such a well-executed powerplant package any cheaper.
euro911
popcorn[1].gif
Rand
I like my popcorn with extra butter.... Yeah, as I'm sitting here looking at a 350hp SBC with less than 7000 miles that my buddy would sell me for $1500. laugh.gif

Oy. My point though, a really nicely executed install with that V8 when everything else that goes with it is all said and done would cost as much, and it wouldn't be as good of an AX car.

Although I'm building more of a street car.... Hmm. popcorn[1].gif
grantsfo
Great to see Jake adjusting his prices to what 914 Market will support. If you stay with basic configuration these prices are pretty good!
davep
The beauty of the 914 is its ability to carve through traffic, finding holes where other cars cannot. Sort of a point and squirt capability. That was great fun with a 1.7 and better with a 2.0. The type IV is a nice lightweight powerplant in the ideal location for such activities. The SBC has great power and great torque, but tends to result in a vehicle that is significantly less nimble. Now, a type IV with 200 HP has got to be a wet dream. That is the territory of the original GT's.
Jake Raby
Nope, this is where the prices have been all along...

I have kept prices the same for turnkeys for years with little fluctuation, but I have increased performance through development. Luckily my store and engine shops both split the cost for development work so that keeps things leveled out a bit.

The 2008 recipes are being standardized now, six engines making over 200HP are now a reality, thats 4 more than last year and the prices also haven't went up more than a couple hundred bucks.

Each year I standardize more things and that increases performance without impacting cost much at all.. Every 15% of performance gain will generally make a 2% cost increase.

LvSteveH
Are you sure Jake? I don't recall seeing a turnkey 2270 for $5882.50 before.

"Complete Turnkey 2270. Click here to build your 2270 now. Starting at...
Market price: $7,582.50
Our price: $5,882.50, save 22%"

Complete Turnkey 2316. Click here to build your 2316 now. Starting at...
Market price: $7,782.50
Our price: $6,082.50, save 21%
Jake Raby
If you click on those items the labor will be added and the price will go up.. The way the software is set up for us to add different levels of tune the base product must start out as basically the engine without labor..

Open up each engine and go from there..
euro911
"Complete Turnkey 2316" ... "Our price: $6,082.50"

When I click on "Complete Turnkey 2316", it indicates $7,432.50 with no options added from the pull-down menus, there's a difference of $1,350.

In this particular case, is a "Complete Turnkey" price an unassembled parts kit, and assembly labor is added? unsure.gif

Maybe I'm missing something on the pricing structure. In my business, 'Turnkey' is a complete system ready to go (turn the key and it's operable by the end-user). Any associated costs are in the price quote.

Please advise ... confused24.gif
Jake Raby
No, thats turn key.. The difference is the way the store software functions with an item like this. The original item is just the parts, when you open the item the first stage of our labor is automatically added to the net price, then as you open the pul downs you can add labor as stages as well as options.. Anyone who actually opens up any combination to read further will see the price go up as the first stage of labor is automatically added because to make it a turn key labor is necessary.

There is no other way to do this with the store software.

remember, I only did this to help people see what the prices are for the engines. We still build each engine application and customer specific so variables will occur but are gone over in the first phone chat we have.

For many years I required a phone chat with the customer to divulge any pricing at all and that was due to the vast range of things that go into a build and the prices are still variable based on these things, the store offerings only make it easier for guys to come to us already knowing general pricing. If it ever becomes problematic or causes a complaint I'll just disable the offerings and go back to the fool proof way that worked well for the past 15 years..
johannes
I think the way it's made is just fine!

I get a good Idea of what the engine costs with the different options without you wasting time on telephone.

It's also a good way to compare kits with turnkeys (despite it's not 100% same engine)

BTW I always thought you couldn't get a Raby Turnkey under 8000 ...
I found out that the cheapest 2056 with factory FI is at under 6000

So what's the difference between "sportline" and "daily driver" ?
Jake Raby
Sportline is my earliest combinations coupled to the simplest assembly. The Daily Driver is more powerful, has more assembly time and more dyno time and is based on newer technology.

Keep in mind, these prices are considering that YOU provide me with a core engine.

As we have gotten more and more busy my time for sales calls has diminished, this method has cut down on the "tire kickers" tremendously and has taken the mystery out of my pricing...

But the only real way to get a 100% accurate quote is a phone chat, which I have no problems doing with anyone by appointment.
JmuRiz
I like the way the site is setup, only suggestion is to have a section explaining the different levels of tune (sportline, daily driver, etc). Granted if/when I'm ready to order I'll just give you a call...
davep
Jake, I agree that the system you have there is a very good one. However, you might simply add "without labour" to the "turnkey" just to reduce confusion a little before they start down the path.
Jake Raby
In January I'll be taking two weeks off to totally update the site to include the differences in engine opackages and options. I will even be adding a video that explains the differences..

The site info all needs to be revised and I may as well do it at the beginning of the year.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.