Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Source for fuel fitting washers?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Danny_Ocean
I am replacing my fuel tank along with hoses, filter screen, etc. The only difficult part of this job is finding replacements for the old fiber washers that mount between the tank and the fittings, secured by the union nut(s). These washers are NLA. I've been to a few auto & hydraulic supply houses, seeking aluminum or copper crush washers, to no avail.

Will o-rings work in a "crush" situation?
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Danny_Ocean @ Nov 7 2007, 08:35 PM) *

I am replacing my fuel tank along with hoses, filter screen, etc. The only difficult part of this job is finding replacements for the old fiber washers that mount between the tank and the fittings, secured by the union nut(s). These washers are NLA. I've been to a few auto & hydraulic supply houses, seeking aluminum or copper crush washers, to no avail.

Go to Pelican... You will not find them in the parts category listings but I recall they were listed and priced in the parts diagram thingy in the upper left corner. They were not stocked and I gave up and just put mine back together with the old ones before they actually came. But the Bird claimed they could get everything in the diagram. Most of it actually came too!
bperry
QUOTE(Danny_Ocean @ Nov 7 2007, 10:35 PM) *

I bought a couple of them about a year ago from Zims here in the Dallas metroplex.
Zims Website
On mine there are 2 different sizes. The outer diameter is the same
but the inner diameter is different. The return line has a smaller tube
so the hole in that gasket is smaller.
(I'm not sure what year you have; this may not be true on the 75-76 models)

Zims had the one with the smaller diameter hole because I believe
they said it crossed over as a common VW part.

I bought 2 of the one they had and
I was able to open it up and use for the larger diameter feeder line.

You might give them a call and see if they still have them.

--- bill
jk76.914
check these guys out- they have both fiber and copper crush in their catalog- not sure of the size though- can't remember.

http://www.belmetric.com/html/catalog17.htm

I had the exact same problem. Finally used a hardware store fiber washer. Since I didn't know how it would hold up in the long term, being immersed in gasoline and all, I assembled before the POR fuel tank treatment was dry, so the washer and the joint are completely sealed with the treatment. Downside- it'll never ever come off again. Hadn't run across Bel Metric yet at that point.
jk76.914
P.S. If you go with copper crush, I'd be careful. The nut is aluminum (at least mine was) and it may strip before you get adequate crush. (New nuts were still available from Porsche at the time- about 3 years ago- maybe others)

Jim
jasons
I bought some thick gasket material that was spec'd for fuel and cut my own. I imprinted the material with the fittings and the tubes, then cut it with an X-Acto knife. It took a couple tries to get them right, but it worked.
Danny_Ocean
Thanks for the leads, all.

The nuts are still available, but the washers are listed as "NLA".

I was thinking about gasket material as a last resort.

Allan
I got the one for the feed side from a bug parts house. It came with the new strainer.

The other I did like mentioned above and cut my own.
TeenerTim
Automobile Atlanta has the screen, washers, gaskets, and tubes in their new catalog.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.