Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Powder coating quote
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Doug Leggins
Calling on those of you that are familiar with powder coating. I have never worked with powder coating before. I am looking for some help to determine if the quote is fair.

I took the suspension components to a local powder coater to get a quote. Got a quote of $400. The quote was for both sand blasting and powder coating. The quote was split about 200 for the sandblasting and about 200 for the coating. The sandblasting seemed high to me and the powder coating seemed low. But overall $400 seems ok to me.

I took everything in the pic and both rear trailing arms also.

Here is what I took in for the quote.
suspension protection cover
2 front A arms
the 4 bushing caps for the A arms
2 brackets that go in front of the A arms
2 front struts and 2 tubes
all 4 brake dust shields
aux support
2 half shafts
2 trailing arms
2 trailing arm mounts

The color quoted was gloss black. I couldn't find another color that I thought would look good with Signal Orange.

Do you think that $400 is good/bad for blasting and coating these parts?

Thanks
seanery
I think its a bit too high.
Doug Leggins
Another question

Do I need to re-install the brake dust shields? If they are not needed I will not get them coated.
seanery
no, you don't need them.

The place that coated my stuff did it for $100 /color.
Blasting that stuff would probably be $100 or less I guess. If it's worth the drive you might try 'em.
Doug Leggins
Certainly willing to drive to indy to get the parts coated. I was initially planning on that but then stumbled on this powder coater in Bloomington.

Do you have a good reference for a shop in indy?
seanery
Indy Dry Stripping for the blasting. First class all the way!

the powdercoaters were kinda slow, but my order was small, and the misplaced my front sway bar for a while. But, they were $100/color.
boxsterfan
Powder coat them a dark blue or gunmetal grey.
Brad Roberts
Yeah.. I think 400$ is a little high. Maybe 300$ in my area from my guy.

B
ArtechnikA
i can't really speak to pricing.

but i wouldn't depend on the guys knowing what places can be blasted and coated, and which ones can't. you'll need to do some masking. the spindle, ball joint connection, caliper-mounting ears, tie-rod-connection place, and top threads on the struts, the splines on the torsion bars. i wouldn't send halfshafts to be blasted - pull the CV's and send just the drive shafts (perhaps you've done that, and what i'm seeing in the picture is them, and not torsion bars - in which case, good show). remove the ball joints from the A-Arms. you have the hubs and bearings out of the trailing arms, yes ? mask the caliper-mounting ears.

lots of people don't run brake 'dust' shields. i don't. i also don't run front strut dust covers unless a snubber spring is being used - mostly, the purpose of the damper cover is to prevent the snubber rubber from expanding radially. but some people like them, so don't take this as a recommendation, just another option...
Doug Leggins
Thanks for the info guys.

I'm going to call the shops in Indy today to check on their pricing and service.

boxterfan - I was considering blue. A really dark blue may work. I'll give it another look.
seanery
Silver is good, too.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.