Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rand's Project
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rand
Winter 2004 I bought a black 1975 2.0 for $2000. It has been my daily driver for three years.

It appeared to be solid. But the previous owner was pretty slick at hiding rust damage. Turns out it was pretty bad. Of course, the more I dug in the more I found. I'm saving it, and loving the process. But I'm not dumping a ton of money into this one. It will be strong and well-built, but the direction I'm headed with it is far from concourse.

It will be a sleeper. Unsuspecting from the outside. People who don't know 914s will just see it as an old NARP, nobody will expect it to be fast, and the cops won't have any reason to pay attention to it. The only visual clues will be the low stance and subtle bulged fenders to fit the bigger rubber.

Under the skin it will be all business. "If it don't make it go fast or stop fast, it's outta there." No creature comforts. A crude and rude minimalist beasty toy. wub.gif

I have been trying to decide which way to go on a motor upgrade for a long time. I've been through the gamut with my thoughts... A six, big 4, v8, Subaru, rotary... Ruled a couple out and changed my mind a few times on the others.

Well, something just happened that finally nailed the decision: I'm borrowing a buddy's old pickup to haul some stuff. Today he calls me and says he wants to *give* me the truck... With one catch: Use it as long as I want, and some day pull the motor to put in the 914 and give the roller back to him for a 4x4 project. This pickup is a beater, but it happens to have a very fresh, nicely-built 350 in it! A sweet donor! Unfreakingbelievable. Good friends are gold.

If my 914 was a nicer car, it would get a Porsche motor. But this is the perfect match, and a huge kick start.

So, over the next several months I'll be driving the truck or a motorcycle and prepping the 914 for a heart transplant. I'll document the process, and be leaning on you guys for help. smile.gif
Volksdraggin
Totally awesome, we share very similar experiences when it comes to choices on motor. As soon as I mentioned the idea to the shop owner of a v8 swap, he walked me into the back, pointed at this all red motor 350 and goes "thats what is going it in. I will give it to your project as long as you let me drive the car around the track. BTW I plan to beat EVERYBODY!" drooley.gif Every other option I came to him with was push to the side, it was going to be v8, plus being a free motor, I couldn't pass it up!

I am excited to see your project and compare it to the one I am building. Have you decided on what trans you plan on running? Are you going to build your radiator and shroud or do you have other ideas like Renegade?

GOOD LUCK! piratenanner.gif
woobn8r
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

At least that's what they tell ME!
boxstr
Rand, great news. It sounds like you are on your way. I would suggest a RH radiator setup. You can go other ways, but in the end you will wish you spent the money upfront for a RH radiator and shrouding, plus the fans, and wiring.
I tried to purchase directly from Ron Davis the same setup, but they only sell through RH.
Good luck.
CCL
Rand
Thanks Volksdraggin. Congrats on yours too. That's awesome. How far along is your project?

Regarding the transmission, I'll be using the stock 901. I'll avoid first gear for anything except navigating the yard or parking lot, and just take it easy on it aside from that. I figure the CV joints will break before the tranny. I'll cross the bridge to upgrades when I have to.

Craig's advice is solid on going with Renegade for the radiator setup. (Thanks Craig. I hear ya.) But as long as I'm putting two kids through college, my car budget is very tight. And I'm just stubborn enough to want to try it myself first. I have a decent radiator now, and will make a tight shroud that forces all the cold air through the radiator. We'll see how it goes. If mine doesn't work, I'll buy Renegade's setup.
Rand
Ok woobn8r, here's the first teaser pic. I'll be sharing more along the way.
messix
awesome buddy!
now we're into some iron that i know well.
looks like i'll be at your house a bunch as soon as you get started.

[chit! this could be a like a contagious thing. i know lots of spare v8s that i could get my hands on..... reality check!!!!!!!!!!!!! gas is $3.25+ a gallon!!!!!!!! and i like driving my narp! aaahhhh til i win the lotto flat four it'll be!]
Rand
Sweet. I'll set up a cot and fridge in the new garage loft for you Troy. laugh.gif

Seriously man, I'll probably be asking you a thousand questions over the next few months.

I know, gas is ridiculous. But you know this thing I'm dealing with..... The uncontrollable Jekyll side of me who craves driving something that makes me drool out the side of my mouth?! laugh.gif I figure I'll balance the fuel costs out by riding a motorcycle half the time. Hmm.... And I'll love THAT too! tongue.gif
rjames
Right on Rand! Looking forward to seeing the progress as it happens, hopefully I'll be able to see some of it in person. School will be over in December, and then I'll have somewhat of a normal schedule again and be available to help even if it's just to cheer you on.

Also, Bill (AKA porsha916) has a cool 8cyl 914 car that I've had the pleasure of riding in. You might look him up.

BTW Do you still need my old exhaust? I'll be around for a lot of this weekend if you do.
Rand
Thanks Robert. I would love having you over. We need to hook the wives up anyway.

I thought of Bill recently. He has a ton of stuff, and I saw his 215 at an Everett AX a couple of years ago. Pretty cool setup. Good reminder... I am definitely wanting to network with anyone I can on this project. I don't have the luxury of cutting Renegade a fat check for a full package. I'll be fabricating as many of the parts as I can, and searching for any connections I can find to pull the rest of the parts together to make this thing happen on a budget. You know what? I think it's going to be more fun this way!

Yes, I still want to pick up those exhaust parts. I'll try to hook up with you this weekend. My 2.0 is still running, so I do want to finish some of the ideas I've started and run it a while. smile.gif
dinomium
you will need fat rear tyres for that
hint hint
beer.gif
WyKev
Rand,
I'll be keeping a close eye on this thread. Sounds like we have similair budgets smile.gif

The only difference so far is I've been offered 2! 5.0 fords, one an actual HO motor, but no Chevy yet.

Did get another teener for 150.00 though, does that put me ahead? biggrin.gif

Good Luck!
Rand
Cool! I've heard of a couple of Ford conversions. More work because it's longer and the conversion parts aren't as common, but of course it can be done. Here's one that comes to mind - you may have already seen this: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=19030

Good luck on your Chevy search. A high-revving 302 or 327 would be a nice way to go too.
HoustonMaxwell
Awesome! I’m currently working on a similar colossal undertaking so I know how challenging yet exciting it is. I’ll keep an eye on this thread and watch as your project unfolds. Always nice to watch experienced hands at work.

popcorn[1].gif

Best regards
michaelt55
Rand...did you say 215? as in V8? I have one of those..

Michael
Rand
Mine is a 350. But yes, I think Bill's V8 is a 215. Seems like a slick combo - smaller and lighter than the SBC. How are you liking yours? Is it the car in your avatar?
Bleyseng
QUOTE(Rand @ Nov 8 2007, 12:02 PM) *

Ok woobn8r, here's the first teaser pic. I'll be sharing more along the way.

yikes! thats no Porsche engine! chair.gif
jd74914
Interesting way of tensioning the alternator.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.