Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tranny Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Allan
Is there anyway to determine if a transmission will go into all gears if it is out of the car?
So.Cal.914
Yup, turn the output shaft, if in gear the flanges will turn and you will not be able to stop them when turning the output, like when your out of gear.

Allan
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Nov 8 2007, 06:19 PM) *

Yup, turn the output shaft, if in gear the flanges will turn and you will not be able to stop them when turning the output, like when your out of gear.

Will this work for all the gears?
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(Headrage @ Nov 8 2007, 06:23 PM) *

QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Nov 8 2007, 06:19 PM) *

Will this work for all the gears?

Yes Sir-e
Cap'n Krusty
...................... But it won't tell you how it'll actually shift when the car's in motion. The Cap'n
Dr Evil
agree.gif It is a worthless test, unfortunately dry.gif
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Nov 8 2007, 07:08 PM) *

...................... But it won't tell you how it'll actually shift when the car's in motion. The Cap'n

The Cap'n is absolutly correct, it will not tell you if the synchro's are bad, etc.

But it will tell you if there is a scattered gear or broken shaft. But with another

person you could switch the trans in an hour or so, then test.
euro911
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Nov 8 2007, 11:19 PM) *
... But with another person you could switch the trans in an hour or so, then test.
Then get your arse over here ... I got a couple of transaxles to swap out ! ... poke.gif
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(euro911 @ Nov 9 2007, 01:53 AM) *

QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Nov 8 2007, 11:19 PM) *
... But with another person you could switch the trans in an hour or so, then test.
Then get your arse over here ... I got a couple of transaxles to swap out ! ... poke.gif

When? I can then check my ever-expanding social calendar. rolleyes.gif

Dr Evil
Actually, even a tranny that is hard to shift on the ground does not indicate a problem. Most often, when I rebuild a tranny it is hard to shift due to the tighter fit of the new parts.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.