Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Won't Start
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
warrenoliver
So, is there some trick to this? I changed out the fuel pump and got a nice gas shower while doing so. Now that it is hooked up, I can't get it to start. I turned the key on and off many times to let the pump cycle. Now, the engine doesn't want to run. It does start up when I turn the key, but it only runs for about a second or two and then dies. WTF.gif I have tried this multiple times and I can't keep it running. I can hear the pump running for a second or two once the engine dies.

I know this isn't a diesel, but when my diesel tractor runs out of fuel, I have to bleed the injectors of all of the air before it will start. Do I have to do something like that? When I changed the pump, I let the gas lines drain out quite a bit, so is there air in those lines?

Any suggestions?

Warrenoliver
tdgray
First you need to verify that you have fuel pressure at the rails.

If do not have a gauge on the rail... go get one. After you confirm that you can start pulling injectors to see if they are clogged.

Oh and... make sure you did not kink any lines in the process of replacing the pump. Does not say what year your car is so I don't know if it is under the tank or in the engine bay.
Cap'n Krusty
It's running on the CSV. Make SURE the lines are attached to the correct ports! The port nearest the relief valve is return, the one that goes to the little "T". The center line is pressure, the last one id suction, from the filter and tank. Make SURE the wires are on the correct connectors, which are clearly marked on the plastic surrounding the connectors. Brown to ground. Once that's done, check for pressure. Report back. I doubt "clogged" injectors is an issue, as it effectively never happens except in commercials. There is a possibility that they're not firing, and that could be bad grounds under the intake manifold plenum, or bad (or disconnected) trigger points. The Cap'n
warrenoliver
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Nov 9 2007, 10:07 AM) *

It's running on the CSV. Make SURE the lines are attached to the correct ports! The port nearest the relief valve is return, the one that goes to the little "T". The center line is pressure, the last one id suction, from the filter and tank. Make SURE the wires are on the correct connectors, which are clearly marked on the plastic surrounding the connectors. Brown to ground. Once that's done, check for pressure. Report back. I doubt "clogged" injectors is an issue, as it effectively never happens except in commercials. There is a possibility that they're not firing, and that could be bad grounds under the intake manifold plenum, or bad (or disconnected) trigger points. The Cap'n

Todd and the Cap'n,

Thanks for the reply. First, what is the CSV? Cold Start Valve?

I think the lines are connected correctly. I tried to make note of them when taking them off and reattaching - although, it was a little difficult with the gas coming down on my head! I had blocked off the line going to the fuel filter so that one didn't leak - I assume that is the supply line. I was surprised that one of the other ones continued to drain gas until I plugged it.

I will check the connections again when I get home tonight. I assume the relief valve is the little dohicky sticking out of the pump body near the electrical connection.

The electrical connection is a little concerning. I can't get it to stay on tightly as you saw on my previous post. When I look at the connector, it seems that it can only go in one way. It looks like the connector has a slot on one side that aligns with a tab on the inside of the fuel pump connection boss. Or am I mistaken on that one? Once I know which wire is ground on the plastic connector, how do I confirm which is ground on the pump?

Once I confirm all of the above, you suggest I check for pressure. Is there an easy way to do that without putting a gauge inline?

Finally, I couldn't help but wonder how in the heck you can get the nuts on the studs that hold the fuel pump on the frame of the car. You must have some kind of special wrench and very nimble hands and fingers!

Thanks for all the help.

Warrenoliver
Cap'n Krusty
If it has the plastic socket on the wires, it does go in only one way. The pump is marked +/- right on the receptacle. Yes on the CSV. The Cap'n
Thack
So do you have a 75-76? Is the fuel pump under the tank? If so there are screws in the front trunk that you can remove to pull the pump or inspect it.
JC 914
icon_bump.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.