Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Which car to take to the track?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Eddie914
Tomorrow is family bonding day!

The local Alfa Club is sponsoring a Basic Driving Skills Track Day. It will be my son's first time behind the wheel at the track.

Question: Which car should he drive?

His daily driver - 1986 Audi 4000CS (four door 4 cylinder five speed)
My daily driver - 1988 BMW M5 (four door 6 cylinder five speed)
The Family Car - 1971 Porsche 914/6 3.2 conversion - "trust me ... it's all stock"

Thanks

Eddie
Allan
Since the Audi is his daily driver, I would recommend it. It'll give him a chance to learn its capabilities and may help on the road.
ruddyboys
I agree with Headrage, he hasn't been driving long, he will be nervous enough, let him drive the car he is familiar with.
lotus_65
yep, as long as he understands what he learns on the track isn't to be practiced on the street...biggrin.gif

if he might be tempted to street race, i'd seperate the two disciplines as much as possible. let's not forget how indestructible and all-knowing we all where at 16.
Cap'n Krusty
The Audi. Even the FWD ones handle well, and it's his daily driver. Once he's competent in that, maybe something a bit more interesting. Maybe not the 2 other cars, though. How 'bout an Alfa? More fun than almost anything, and they like to be pushed. He'll learn about what happens when he reaches the limit! The Cap'n
andys
How "instructional" is the track day? These types of events vary greatly in the teaching department. Some quite good, some quite inadequate. And of course you probably have a good measure for your son's intrinsic ability to handle a car; some seem to get it right off and have good measure, yet others never quite get a grasp on things. I personally prefer high performanc driving schools, as they have an established corriculum, and experienced instructors.

One of my more frightening experiences was riding along with a guy (adult) at a track day with a 55MPH speed limit and no passing! He had NO feel for what the car was doing, and no concept of proper driving lines. I tried talking him around the track, but the results were; well there were no results. I was glad when it was over.

Andys
914werke
The 4K! I had an 87CS and I still miss it Great balanced car.
Betty
I agree, he should drive the car he drives every day!!!

I've taught a few times at the local PCA autocross school. The big concern for the parents of the one teenager I had was her getting more comfortable with driving and gaining confidence. Hopefully your son will learn/practice skills that might keep him (and his passengers) safer on the road for many years to come!

The very best thing you can do for him is make sure he never moves a vehicle without being buckled in. All passengers too! Our family car never moved until everybody was belted in.

It's wonderful that he is getting this opportunity. So many kids don't...
purple
just playing devil's advocate, but if he wrecks his daily driver, will you drive him to school every day? Mayhaps the 914 would be the trick? Nobody drives that, right?
jasons
You take the 914.
He takes his Audi.

I'll take your E28 M5 to my house!
messix
i would take his audi and the 914.
let him do this first laps in the audi and at the end of the day let him use the 914, when he see's how different the handling and performance capabilities are of each car are i think he will grasp the idea that street cars are not for racing espcialy on the street.
kind of a "why bother, this thing is a slug compaired to my dads 914!".
Eddie914
The 914/6 goes to the track:

IPB Image

The M5 goes to the track:

IPB Image

I think the Audi needs to go to the track so it doesn't feel left out ...

Eddie

ConeDodger
My opinion is that the less car he starts in, the more he learns about driving. You have to learn braking points and how to get back into the gas in a lower powered less prepared car to go fast. Then he can appreciate power and handling when they are thrown into the equation. Plus, seat time is so important. driving.gif
lotus_65
QUOTE(Eddie914 @ Nov 9 2007, 04:22 PM) *

The 914/6 goes to the track:

IPB Image

those flares look almost perfect to my eye, can i learn more about them? are they ghia specialties style?

paul
andys
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Nov 9 2007, 03:38 PM) *

My opinion is that the less car he starts in, the more he learns about driving. You have to learn braking points and how to get back into the gas in a lower powered less prepared car to go fast. Then he can appreciate power and handling when they are thrown into the equation. Plus, seat time is so important. driving.gif

Good advice. Way easier to find the limits and not hurt yourself in the process.

Andys
jonferns
I think the Audi needs to go to the track so it doesn't feel left out ...

Eddie

yes...but is it ready for the track? biggrin.gif -JON
woobn8r
I'd go to "ALAMO" or some such other rental company and get him a sub-compact FWD for the weekend...
Eddie914
Look what showed up at the Track day ...

IPB Image

I believe his name is Jared. Very nice '74 with old bumpers. He also has a SBC V-8 914 at home also.

We took the Audi 4000CS. My son learned a great deal with the Audi. No ABS or stability control gave him great feel for the reactions of the car.

IPB Image

By the end of the day we were wishing we has also brought the M5. The Audi is balanced and stable. He couldn't even get the car to spin on the wet skidpad.

Eddie
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.