Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Electrical short
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TomL
Right turn signal and hazard blows the fuse every time.
Specifics:
Ignition OFF: parking lights all work; turn sig lever right-right parking/running lights come on; same thing left. Shouldn't do this with the ignition off--huh?

Ignition ON; Turn signal left works fine; turn signal right blows fuse; hazard light switch ON blows fuse.

Year model '74. I've spent a lot of time chasing wires and sorting as per wiring diagram. I probably have a wire crossed somewhere.

A lot of you have a lot more experience than I do--any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Tom
Hammy
QUOTE(TomL @ Nov 9 2007, 07:48 PM) *

Right turn signal and hazard blows the fuse every time.
Specifics:
Ignition OFF: parking lights all work; turn sig lever right-right parking/running lights come on; same thing left. Shouldn't do this with the ignition off--huh?

Ignition ON; Turn signal left works fine; turn signal right blows fuse; hazard light switch ON blows fuse.

Year model '74. I've spent a lot of time chasing wires and sorting as per wiring diagram. I probably have a wire crossed somewhere.

A lot of you have a lot more experience than I do--any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Tom

The ignition off part is correct. It's a parking thing in Europe (or just Germany?). For parking on the street.

Can't help much with the other problems. The obvious thing to do first is check your grounds. There's a grounding stud behind each headlight bucket. Also under the dash to the left of the fuse panel. Check for any loose wires on the fuse panel.... I'm sure the others will have a more specific answer.
Cap'n Krusty
Sounds like wires mixed up in the rt turn signal/park light assembly. The Cap'n
Spoke
Have you done any work on the car lately? May have bumped something. Check there first.

To chase your short:

1) disconnect battery.

2) Put your voltmeter on resistance and connect from load side of fuse to ground. If you have a short, it should be noticeable now.

3) Remove front, then rear signal bulbs. Check for change in resistance. You're looking for the resistance to go from a few ohms to greater than 5-10 ohms.

Once you find the short, the voltmeter will read more resistance than when you started. Keep in mind that the resistance of the bulbs will only be a few ohms so the difference between a short and correct operation may only be a few ohms.

Spoke
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.