Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Another pair of pants stained with grease while driving...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RoadGlue
So you get dressed, put on some nice pants and head out onto the open road in your 914. You get to your destination and notice that you have a silver dollar sized grease spot near the bottom of your right leg. You think it's odd, but don't put two and two together until it starts to become a regular occurrence.

I know what the cause is, but I want you to guess first. Then I'll ask for the solution, though I think I know what that is too.

Any takers?

grantsfo
QUOTE(RoadGlue @ Nov 9 2007, 08:31 PM) *

So you get dressed, put on some nice pants and head out onto the open road in your 914. You get to your destination and notice that you have a silver dollar sized grease spot near the bottom of your right leg. You think it's odd, but don't put two and two together until it starts to become a regular occurrence.

I know what the cause is, but I want you to guess first. Then I'll ask for the solution, though I think I know what that is too.

Any takers?

I dont know as I dont wear pants when I drive my car.
So.Cal.914
Speedo cable?
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Nov 9 2007, 08:38 PM) *

Any takers?

biggrin.gif ... huh.gif
Jerry

Does anybody??? Naked Porsche driving!!!! My favorite!!
Thack
Master cylinder leak?
RoadGlue
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Nov 9 2007, 08:39 PM) *

Speedo cable?

Ding ding ding!

I have to assume that the inner seal on the speedo drive is toast, so gear oil is traveling all the way up to the speedo, where it then drips down on to my leg.

Pretty annoying!

smile.gif
2-OH!
Yep...Had to fix the same problem myself...Take that angle drive off, reseal and don't forget to drain the cable...Problem solved...

2-OH!
Wilhelm

Any takers?

My pants get stained every time I drive my 914!!!! w00t.gif Oh wait............that's not grease. wub.gif
TheCabinetmaker
Speedo cable? tranni fluid is traveling all the way up the cable to the cockpit and leaking on your pants? You guys are joking right? Your master cylinder is leaking. Pull up the carpet and you'll see the pedal cluster soaked in fluid.
RoadGlue
QUOTE(vsg914 @ Nov 10 2007, 03:58 AM) *

Speedo cable? tranni fluid is traveling all the way up the cable to the cockpit and leaking on your pants? You guys are joking right? Your master cylinder is leaking. Pull up the carpet and you'll see the pedal cluster soaked in fluid.

My brakes are working fine. I've stuck my head (and hands) under the dash and the bottom of the speedometer and part of the dash is lightly covered with gear oil. Also, I had my pedal board out just this week to lube the cluster a bit, and everything was dry there.

It's perfectly reasonable to think that a spinning sheathed cable could wick oil up to the gauge. In fact, it's hard to imagine how a leaky MC could squirt brake fluid past the dust seal, around the pedal board and carpet and end up on the top part of my leg. tongue.gif
TheCabinetmaker
I've seen lots of mc's leak fluid into the pedal cluster and even soak the carpet. That little rubber dust cover ain't gonna stop brake fluid. I guess its possible for the speedo cable to wick tranni oil to the speedo, but i gotta see it to believe it. Call me a doubting thomas if you will.
RoadGlue
QUOTE(vsg914 @ Nov 10 2007, 10:36 AM) *

I've seen lots of mc's leak fluid into the pedal cluster and even soak the carpet. That little rubber dust cover ain't gonna stop brake fluid.

I can see that for sure, but I can't see how it would leave spots on the top side of my pants, or make my speedo and dash greasy.
TheCabinetmaker
Your first post said the "bottom of your right leg". I read that as the cuff of your pants, not the "top side of your pants" A leaky mc will soak the carpet and ruin the heel of your right shoe and the cuff of your pants. Regardless, ruining your clothes sucks no matter how it gets there. sad.gif
RoadGlue
QUOTE(vsg914 @ Nov 10 2007, 10:45 AM) *

Your first post said the "bottom of your right leg". I read that as the cuff of your pants, not the "top side of your pants" A leaky mc will soak the carpet and ruin the heel of your right shoe and the cuff of your pants. Regardless, ruining your clothes sucks no matter how it gets there. sad.gif

Ha! Yeah, um, bottom near the cuff on the top side. My bad for not being more descriptive. Sorry for the confusion there.

smile.gif
TheCabinetmaker
BTW, speedo angle drive seals are dirt cheap biggrin.gif
Katmanken
Here's a clue...

Some darn thing is getting low on fluid.

The number of possible things is very limited.....

Find the thing and you have it.....

And here is another clue,

They all smell different.......

And, no, the blinker fluid has no smell...

Ken
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(kwales @ Nov 10 2007, 05:09 PM) *

And here is another clue,

They all smell different.......

And, no, the blinker fluid has no smell...

Ken

I don't know, that blinker fluid thing smells a little fishy to me... dry.gif
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Nov 9 2007, 11:38 PM) *

Any takers?

Know what you mean, but you need to REALLY careful when adjusting the seat, particularly if you're 60!
Pat
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.