Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rebuilt Fuel Pump
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
warrenoliver
I thought I would start a new thread to see if I can get some help.

I just replaced my fuel pump on my '73 2.0. The fuel pump is in the original location near the engine. I posted previously about this and the Capn gave some pointers, but the car is still not starting. chair.gif It tries to start and does run for a second or two and then dies. The Cap'n says it is starting on the CSV. What I don't understand about the CSV is: Where does it get the gas from? I would think it would get gas from the fuel pump. WTF.gif

Here is what I have done so far.

I have checked the electrical connectors to make sure that + is to positive and - is to ground. As long as the stamping on the housing is correct, I have it connected correctly. I can hear the pump turn on when I turn on the switch.

I have the fuel line with the "Y" connector on the lowest pump orifice - this is the one nearest the electrical connector. The Cap'n also said the pressure relief valve is there. The single fuel line that goes up into the engine compartment is connected to the middle orifice. The supply (coming from the fuel filter) is connected to the top orifice.

I have checked for gas flow through the filter and it is flowing freely. I have disconnected the fuel line (middle one on the fuel pump), in the engine compartment and when I turn on the switch and hear the fuel pump come on, no gas comes out. I am assuming that it should.

So, either I have the fuel hoses mixed up, or the pump is not working. I just got this one from HPH so I would hope it would be good.

So, what next?

Warrenoliver
Dave_Darling
Look for the labels on the pump. There should be one letter next to each fitting: S, D, R. Plug the line from the tank (by way of the fuel filter) into the "S" port; the "D" port into the line to the fuel rail, and the "R" hooks up to the "Y" connector that goes to the return fitting on the fuel tank and the fuel pressure regulator.

--DD
swl
maybe check that the supply is still going to the passenger side rail and the return from the drivers side (pressure regulator). Installation could have confused the 2 under the car - they look the same.

Do you have a fuel pressure guage - could help greatly in diagnosing.
SLITS
agree.gif

From the "D" port on the pump .... line goes to passenger side fuel rail .... from the passenger side fuel rail line crosses over engine to driver side fuel rail .... from driver fuel rail line goes to pressure regulator .... from pressure regulator line goes back across engine to return line to tank (where your "y" or "t" is) from the "R" port on the pump.

On the early 1.7, the line from the passenger side fuel rail goes to the CSV (cold start valve, page 44, Fig 2.12, Haynes Manual) mounted on the plenum and then continues to the driver side fuel rail.

On later cars, fuel is fed to the CSV from a tap in the middle on the driver side fuel rail (which also can be used to hook up a guage to to set pressure in the system.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.