Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Major Oil Leak Part 2
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Brando
As you guys may recall back a few months ago I put in new pushrod tube seals to cure my car's typhoid exxon-valdez. Well, it's had another outbreak and it doesn't seem to be any easier to do this time than last time.

So, i figure what I'll do is get the really soft rubber oil cooler seals, a new seal that goes between the sheet metal and oil cooler on top, the mallory unilite I've been pining over, a new oil pressure sender and the extension needed when running a unilite, new heater control cable and my prepped-and-painted passenger side heater flapper box (thanks claytonnovich!). Once everything's ready I'll announce a work party date then drive down to skline's with a small furniture dolly and some of my tools.

Shortly thereafter I (and hopefully with the assistance of some fellow wrenchers) will pull the engine and transmission. Then we can go to town on the engine... Pull the impeller and housing, passenger side engine tin, oil cooler, distributor, pressure sender, oil filter. Once the passenger side of the engine is naked it'll get a vigorous spray down and scrubbing with engine cleaner, then a final rinse and prep for reassembly.

Once i get the parts I'll announce the date. I'm pretty close to getting the unilite (money wise) so we'll see hopefully in the next two or three weeks.

It just never ends! sheeplove.gif screwy.gif beer3.gif
computers4kids
QUOTE(Brando @ Nov 10 2007, 06:49 PM) *

As you guys may recall back a few months ago I put in new pushrod tube seals to cure my car's typhoid exxon-valdez. Well, it's had another outbreak and it doesn't seem to be any easier to do this time than last time.

It just never ends! sheeplove.gif screwy.gif beer3.gif

Just curious...is this the 75 1.8 in your signature? Have you done any mods to help the motor breathe better? puke box? vent both heads? (75's only one head is vented), crankcase/valve covers?

Forget everything I just said if your 1.8 still has the stock L-Jet. Breathers=Vaccumm Leak
Twystd1
Don't make me come over and fix your shit...

Giterdone and have fun... And move to OC ya nut case........

Hows the job search going...?????????????????

Claytonobitch
Brando
QUOTE(computers4kids @ Nov 11 2007, 10:25 AM) *

Just curious...is this the 75 1.8 in your signature? Have you done any mods to help the motor breathe better? puke box? vent both heads? (75's only one head is vented), crankcase/valve covers?

Forget everything I just said if your 1.8 still has the stock L-Jet. Breathers=Vaccumm Leak

Mark,
I am running a stockish 1.8 with L-Jet. I removed the piping that goes from the oil filler neck to the intake (no more crankcase ventilation to the intake) and ran a puke tube out of the engine bay. From the factory neither one of my heads are vented, just the case through the filler neck.

QUOTE(Twystd1 @ Nov 11 2007, 02:04 PM) *
Don't make me come over and fix your shit...

Giterdone and have fun... And move to OC ya nut case........

Hows the job search going...?????????????????

Claytonobitch

Hey mang,
I'd be honored to have you fix my mistakes help me git'r'dun. Job search is still producing minimal results. Moving to the OC would rock - but I can't afford a new escalade and something about wearing ralph lauren and gap 24/7 and having to wear makeup makes me queasy. wacko.gif

Any volunteers to help me repair the damage?

Note: Further inspection in the daylight shows an incredible amount of oil around the pressure sender. I'm thinking that may be the majority cause for the leak - but i'd very much like to replace those 30+ year old oil cooler seals while i'm at it. Maybe a new front crank seal too.
Twystd1
Gimme a call....

Claytonobitch
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.