Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mallory 6AL Box
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Allan
I went and picked up my car from Mike D's place today and we noticed that the Mallory CD box was pretty warm after running the car. It wasn't so hot that you couldn't put you hand on it, but it was warm.

Do they normally generate heat?
Aaron Cox
the shape is an extruded 'heat sink' shape....
ive never actually felt mine, but i wouldnt doubt it gets warm. It is designed with a crap load of fins to help dissipate heat.

drive it till it dies!
Allan
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Nov 10 2007, 07:10 PM) *

drive it till it dies!

Again??? blink.gif
Allan
Anybody?
SLITS
It's gonna get warm ..... it's an electronic component .... have you ever put your hand on a coil after running for a while?

My Bosch unit gets warm .... why should your glorified CDI unit be any different?

And yes, I am Anybody!
Thack
I had one on a '82 RX-7 and it got hotter than I thought it would. Remember it's taking 12 volts and turning into 20,000 or so. Put your hand on a transformer and let us know how hot it is. It's a similar function. Step up or step down voltage.
Twystd1
An analog MSD box will get hot enough that you can't touch it for more than a half a second or so. IN A RACE CAR.

Don't know about the digital Mallory box.

Clayton
Brando
Should get pretty warm in the scorching summer.

Why would you want to touch any high-voltage electrical component? Hand-held IR meter works best.

I think in the manual they list an operating temp and max before damage is done to the box components inside.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.