Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: there should be a classic thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jimkelly
what years fit 914?

what is the first year 911 had vented rotors?

which 911 struts bolt directly onto 914 suspension?

and the differences between different year 911 front suspensions?

thanks

jim

BTW - brad at 914club is selling billet 4 lug hubs for vented rotors $425 set - tempting for sure.
lotus_65
There's some good info on the Pelican site.

I suppose it could be better if someone put some serious time into it.

Hope someone does it!
jimkelly
thanks

jim
flesburg
Probably the reason no one has is because they are an EASY exchange.

The only differences are the internal splines for the torsion bar.

You can exchange a complete front end, or keep your rack, or just exchange the struts and spindles and hubs, and any combination.

I replaced the stock 914 unit with just struts, hubs and brakes, with one from a SC on one car, and replace the whole unit (including steering rack) from a 911 Turbo in another car.

Straight bolt up process.
smontanaro
QUOTE(lotus_65 @ Nov 11 2007, 09:19 AM) *
There's some good info on the Pelican site.

From reading this I take it my '70 914/6 is mostly the same as similar vintage 911 setups save for the different style parking brake?

Thx,

Skip

Richard Casto
While researching the purchase of my 911 front suspension for my 914, I started a page on the 914 wiki for this topic.

http://www.roadglue.com/wiki/index.php/911_front_suspension
JPB
Easy enough and yes birdboard has all the info.

I would say:

If they black, don't look back,
If they other, go run to yo muder
3" calipers, take me to heaven,
if they 3 1/2" price calipers before hand
racers like three, thats plane to see
but for yo teener rocket,
dig deep in yo pocket!
If yo hands still in pocket,
and its there much to long,
you ain't doin no work,
you be strokin that chlong!

AAAh, words of wisdom care of JPB beer.gif
neo914-6
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Nov 11 2007, 06:12 AM) *

what years fit 914?

what is the first year 911 had vented rotors?

which 911 struts bolt directly onto 914 suspension?

and the differences between different year 911 front suspensions?

thanks

jim

BTW - brad at 914club is selling billet 4 lug hubs for vented rotors $425 set - tempting for sure.

There are tons of threads here on this subject, search "strut" and "Eric Shea" smile.gif
Eric_Shea
Speak of the devil... here I come happy11.gif

From reading this I take it my '70 914/6 is mostly the same as similar vintage 911 setups save for the different style parking brake?

Well, in saying that you tend to marry front and rear suspensions and then the answer is no. The rear suspension, because of our mid-engine configuration, is totally different from a 911. It is all 914 with the exception of calipers, rotors, hubs and stub axles (CV's and axles too) When you get down to basics, yes... 48mm pistons, same calipers up front and both share 38mm pistons in the rear albeit on totally different calipers.

You're about 99% accurate on the front end. The only difference I can see between a 1970 911T front end and a 1970 914-6 front end is the torsion bars. The 914-6 has special torsion bars that have the spline count of a 911 yet the spring rate of a 914.

NOW... why they simply didn't use 914 A-arms is beside me. It could very well be these suspension modules came "complete" and for economies of scale, they would be interchangable with the 911 bits. I have a factory video from that period which shows them installing a front suspension complete (brakes, struts etc.) on a 911. So, I would guess they simply used a completed 911 front suspension spec'd with 914-6 17mm weighted bars.

John is right... simply take these bolts out yank/replace and install those bolts. No conversion could be more straight forward. However, there are a few "varieties" to choose from.

I like to keep 914 a-arms for street and narrow bodied cars. This means you can probably get by with a simple strut purchase and swap. If you're going road racing I like the 911 arms as they afford a larger variety of t-bars.

I like 911T Boge struts (914-6 struts) for street and/or narrow cars and either vintage Koni/Bilstein struts with the 3.5" ears or later Boge with the 3.5" ears for wide body/racing cars. Also, get the a-arms for wide/racing cars as explained above. The 3.5" spacing allows the use of many upgraded calipers (S, A, Carrera etc.)

There probably should be a well defined list available for those interested in this fairly common process. I agree.

Basically: Emulate a 914-6 if you want a nice set-up for a narrow bodied street car and, emulate a 914-6/GT for more advanced use and performance. wink.gif
Air_Cooled_Nut
QUOTE(neo914-6 @ Nov 11 2007, 02:30 PM) *

There are tons of threads here on this subject, search "strut" and "Eric Shea" smile.gif

slap.gif
And your post is exactly why he has a valid post. Think about it. Put all the information into ONE POST (or fact sheet) instead of having to waste time searching hundreds of posts. idea.gif
McMark
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Nov 11 2007, 06:12 AM) *

I have a moral objection to these hubs. The design is great, and they work well. No doubt about that. The objection I have relates to how the production of those hubs was financed. dry.gif
jimkelly
my proposed alt solution

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=78064
John
I prefer the latest (up to 1989) 911 front suspension (complete) that you can buy.

The parts are newer.

I also prefer BOGE struts if you have a choice. There is a better selection of inserts.
PeeGreen 914
Eric

Don't you suppose the reason they used all 911 stuff of the 6s is because they were assembled in the Porsche factory? I would think they just used what was on hand rather than get them from VW. That would be my thinking anyway.
Brando
It's easy...

Remove wheels.
Unbolt A-arms and steering rack + cross-member from 911. Remove nuts on top of the struts - complete suspension.
SWAP rubber-bushed input splined steering shaft from your 914 to the 911 steering rack.
Bolt in A-arms, steering rack + cross-member from 911 into 914. Attach nuts on top of the struts - complete suspension.

Appicable years: 1965-1988.
Cap'n Krusty
You really wouldn't want to use 1965-1968 struts, as the ball joints are different (and they regularly wear out, no fun at $150 + apiece) and you have to change the A-arms, as well. The hub/caliper/wheel offsets are different, too. The Cap'n
Aaron Cox
and avoid hydro pneumatic struts!
913B
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Nov 12 2007, 01:58 PM) *

and avoid hydro pneumatic struts!

speaking of hydro shocks. I picked up a set of 3" boge struts. I unscrewed the strut and found out what they believe to be hydro shocks. Are they bad ?? I can just remove the valves and oil and drop in a Bilestein shock right ?

Sorry if this is a hi-jack.

neo914-6
QUOTE(Air_Cooled_Nut @ Nov 11 2007, 04:25 PM) *

QUOTE(neo914-6 @ Nov 11 2007, 02:30 PM) *

slap.gif
And your post is exactly why he has a valid post. Think about it. Put all the information into ONE POST (or fact sheet) instead of having to waste time searching hundreds of posts. idea.gif

I have thought about it and have occasionally done something about it. I have 30 links alone on this thread I have links upon links in other threads. Jim has a good conversion link list in his signature I've referred to.

In general, it's easy to ask questions or make suggestions but SOMEONE or several members will need to donate hours of data mining, organizing, and editing to make a FAQ or tech worthy post.
Eric_Shea
I unscrewed the strut and found out what they believe to be hydro shocks. Are they bad ??

Yes. But, what makes you think they are hydros? Pics would help.
Air_Cooled_Nut
QUOTE(neo914-6 @ Nov 18 2007, 02:05 AM) *
...I have thought about it and have occasionally done something about it. I have 30 links alone on this thread I have links upon links in other threads. Jim has a good conversion link list in his signature I've referred to...

Just checked out that link...goood God! Nice work! smile.gif
914pwer
QUOTE(Brando @ Nov 12 2007, 12:28 PM) *

It's easy...

Remove wheels.
Unbolt A-arms and steering rack + cross-member from 911. Remove nuts on top of the struts - complete suspension.
SWAP rubber-bushed input splined steering shaft from your 914 to the 911 steering rack.
Bolt in A-arms, steering rack + cross-member from 911 into 914. Attach nuts on top of the struts - complete suspension.

Appicable years: 1965-1988.

SWAP rubber-bushed input splined steering shaft from your 914 to the 911 steering rack. headbang.gif this is an important step in the conversion headbang.gif i thougt it was an straight bolt on
to night i finaly got my 911 sc-81 front suspension in place but when i was going to bolt on the steering shaft it was to short now i have to take it all apart again not fun when everyting on the frontaxle was sandblasted and painted
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.