Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fender Flare Conversion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
XrayMed
What seems to be the mod of choice with converting your 4 to a 6 flared fender. Do most go with a fiberglass pre formed fender or do you go with the weld on metal flares or the hand crafted route like Neo914.

I had found some Fiberglass flares that would accomadate up to a 12" rim, which was very appealing to me as I want the wide look from the rear. But I was nevervous about the mating of the Fiberglass to the metal and filler and all the good body stuff. I had talked with Neo914 and he had gone the Hand crafted route which I also like the finished product. Just wanted to see what the genral consensus was yalls thoughts.

I personally thought that the fiberglass might be the way to go with, as to the weight of them and if I do the 911 engine swap. Neo had brought up some points as to proper installation and mating of the fiberglass to the metal and the care of the fiberglass as it has a tendancy to cracking do to flexing of the body.

xray
So.Cal.914
My Personal opinion is glass is for race cars. Glass has a bad habit of

cracking/breaking, one idiot with a heavy door, in a parking lot can ruin your

whole day. Especially if you mold the flairs into the sheet metal. Alot of the fella's

have been getting into the 'Group buys' here. Getting steel repo flairs from

George at AA (automobile atlanta). But it is, in the end, your choice.
XrayMed
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Nov 11 2007, 11:14 AM) *

My Personal opinion is glass is for race cars. Glass has a bad habit of

cracking/breaking, one idiot with a heavy door, in a parking lot can ruin your

whole day. Especially if you mold the flairs into the sheet metal. Alot of the fella's

have been getting into the 'Group buys' here. Getting steel repo flairs from

George at AA (automobile atlanta). But it is, in the end, your choice.

Yah, thanks for the comment. I am using yalls comments and the pros and cons to help with my decision. I did like the added flare the fiberglass gave but I was definetly leary of the mating of the fiber to the metal as I just saw this as a very weak juncture leading to a crack in a very expensive paint job......
Aaron Cox
do you really need 12" of tire?
XrayMed
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Nov 11 2007, 11:20 AM) *

do you really need 12" of tire?

Well, its not a matter of "Need" to be quite honest no. Its more of a matter of want. I really like that wide tire look in the rear.

Is there anyone that makes the rear metal gt flares that will accomadate anything wider than the 7" or 8" of tire?

xray
So.Cal.914

I can't remember this Fella's name, but he did a thread on adding metal GT's and

then widening the rears. A very bitchin car.

Click to view attachment
XrayMed
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Nov 11 2007, 11:34 AM) *

I can't remember this Fella's name, but he did a thread on adding metal GT's and

then widening the rears. A very bitchin car.

Click to view attachment

Yes, I am by no means an expert on body work, but thats what I was kind of thinking myself. Just go ahead and getting the metal flares and then just telling the body guy to widen them a little more. That way you could accomadate what ever rear wheel choice.

I liked neo914's flares but I wanted to stay true to form as much as I could. I know that sounds very contradictory after all we are all modifying here.. but I just wanted to tweak what porsche had come up with to fit what I want while still looking stock.

That way when your looking at my 914 your going WOW that looks stock but something tells me its not!!!
burton73
I had a 914-8 with a glass 916 body with GT flairs 8In front and 11 “ fear. That is a lot of meat on the rear. Bought it to resell. There were no indicators of problems with the glass before I painted it and after I painted it is looked very slick. I hope you are going to have some HP to move those meats around. The Man I bought this car from was a guitar player from Earth Wind and Fire; he replaced it with an all-metal flared car if that tells you any thing.

The bitchin Orange car had glass before. His thread was very clear on how he did the spacing out of the AA GT flair. As George has a super deal on the metal you may just get the metal and bump out the rear. The difference in weight cannot be that much if any.
Your wheels are going be heavy. You need HP with this car and it will not mater on the flare weight it just is not that much. The full box of 4 flairs was not that much. .

The good thing is when you get metal done right it will stay that way.

Bob

XrayMed
I was planning on a 911 twin turbo 6 cyl. I figured that if that would move 10" to 12" tires on a 911 if should do it on the 914. But I wanted to do the visible work first. Body, Tires, Interior, Lights, then move inward on things that are not readly seen, Engine, Suspension, Brakes.

Thats my plan of restoration or improvement. Its not etched in stone but that what I am shooting for.

xray
boxstr
JLO had widened steel flares. 9s and 12sx 17 were the tires under them.
CCL
XrayMed
QUOTE(boxstr @ Nov 11 2007, 01:08 PM) *

JLO had widened steel flares. 9s and 12sx 17 were the tires under them.
CCL

Now thats what I am talking about.

I went to the other guys post where he widened the gt flares. Not sure my welding is up to that level yet. But that is basically what I am looking for. I think metal is the route I wanna go.
chris914
Does anyone make a set of hard flexible rubber ones that you can bolt on (kind of like they use in off road racing) that wouldn’t dent? My car is autocross only and I wouldn’t mind something like that instead of the pretty ones.
boxstr
I believe most of the racers will Dzus fasten theres on, that way the can remove them to work on brakes or suspension, and they can be more easily replaced if broken or damaged.
They would use fiberglass, because of the weight savings.
CCL
914pwer
IPB Image
so i should not do this blink.gif
Eric_Shea
so i should not do this

No. You should never tape a flare to a car. Anything over 25 mph will probably cause it to simply blow off. wink.gif
boxstr
Unless you use Gorilla Tape or Speed tape. Good to 95 mph on a roundy round track only.
CCL
Eric_Shea
av-943.gif
914pwer
av-943.gif
burton73
Get a book on welding and take it slow. Do it that way or pay some one to do it. You will have a lot of money in it with the Turbo and the value will be there with the metal flares. You should not cut back on some things. If you go glass you will just go back some day and redo it. This is for a streetcar. For a racecar go glass for the reasons that after you get it smashed you can just replace one side with a new one with the Dzus fasteners. Or rivet it on.

It looks cheep for a streetcar put nothing beats it after you need to change it out after a small accident on a track.

Bob
scotty b
Steel is real...glass sux ass.......... av-943.gif

I did a how to on a set of AA steel flares a while ago.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...nstall&st=0
McMark
There are 9" & 11" fiberglass gt flares out there. I have a set in my garage at home.
Dr Evil
Hand crafted is my choice biggrin.gif Cut a little, split, weld in a little more metal. (I had a shop do it)
Rears have 17x9 with 255 on them
Front are 17x7.5 with 225 or 235 (I forget)
So.Cal.914
Car looks damn good Evil. Sits even better.
Katmanken
Yeah,

But did you notice that the car darkens in the presence of the evil one.... blink.gif sad.gif
Dr Evil
happy11.gif Probably dirt wink.gif
RON S.

Thanks for the compliments guys.

I will say that if you go down the path to true 914 rear end width,
a lot of patience, and lots of fixturing are a must.

I personally have always liked wide bodied 914s, as long as they still retained a factory type look.I had been waiting for years to tackle this part of the project, and when the first group buy came along, I jumped for it.

George had had these repo flares in the works for what seemed an eternity,but now they are finally here and I will say that they are a very nice product to work with.

Be prepared to budget a LOT of man hours to the total job.I did my fronts & rears myself.All metal work and all paintwork.I bet I had 100-150 hours in it to complete.However,the result is something I'm happy with.

I realized early on that I would never be able to afford to just hand off this job to a body shop and pay the bill.So, I just took my time,never making a deadline, and just kept on rolling with it.
The job took all the free time I had for 4 months straight, and I should know as my wife kept reminding me every week.
In the end,I flares to within 1/8'' of difference between the two side.And,everything lined up pretty well.Body work had to be done all the way around the car to get everything looking right.So pretty much the car was entirely repainted.

Total cost is actual dollars outa pocket were $750.00 for the flares, and about $800.00 in paint materials.

If you do it yourself,at least you'll know what you have when you are done.There'll be no second guessing someone else's work.

Ron
So.Cal.914
thumb3d.gif

I looked forward to every alotment of pic's you posted duering the refitment of

the steel flairs. It looked good with the glass but now some of us pray to it. biggrin.gif
boxstr
Ron I hope that car handles better than it looks, what with all those tow hooks tongue.gif
Just kidding, that is really a beautiful car.
CCL
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.