Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Crankcase breather with carbs.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Thack
For those running dual carbs, how do you attach a crankcase breather hose to the filters? Especially if you have K&Ns, which I plan to replace. Do you run two hoses? Got pics? sawzall-smiley.gif
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(Thack @ Nov 11 2007, 09:32 PM) *

For those running dual carbs, how do you attach a crankcase breather hose to the filters? Especially if you have K&Ns, which I plan to replace. Do you run two hoses? Got pics? sawzall-smiley.gif

My K&N's had KO's on the bottom, knock them out and put in nipples.

I have seen some useing one hose to one filter with a 'Y' to bring in both sides

and tieing the oil filler breather into one of those. I didn't like that idea.
pete914
hijacking the thread here...pics anyone?
SGB
I wouldliketo see this too. I don't think I have any knock out plugs under there...
Joe Ricard
It's easy.

YOU DON'T.

Get a CB or EMPI breather box or for a real breather system one from JEGS or SUMMIT Puke can.
pete914
so just run a tube from the oil filler to the breather box and then two tubes from there into the air cleaners and you're set?

QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Mar 4 2008, 08:44 AM) *

It's easy.

YOU DON'T.

Get a CB or EMPI breather box or for a real breather system one from JEGS or SUMMIT Puke can.

Joe Ricard
Why?

All you are doing is sucking oil into the carbs. real good way to clogg them up with gunky oil film.
Run the valve cover vents to the box and the oil filler PCV to the box and let the box breath through the cover as desiged.
rhodyguy
or...with 2.0 heads with the drain/vapor return tubes, you run a single vent line from the oil fill tower to the cb style foam filled box and lines from the outlets on the box to the heads. you need to ensure the bb is mounted high enough for the oil to flow to the heads and not puddle in the lines. with the cb bb, squeezing the dirty oil out of the foam filter and soaking up the small ammount in the bottom should be considered part of routine maintenance.

k
pete914
Do I need the valve covers to be vented? Right now they aren't. Would the oil filler PCV valve into the box be sufficient? Might just run a tube from the box to the underside of the car. Hate to put more fumes in the air though...as if dual webers aren't bad enough...

QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Mar 4 2008, 10:15 AM) *

Why?

All you are doing is sucking oil into the carbs. real good way to clogg them up with gunky oil film.
Run the valve cover vents to the box and the oil filler PCV to the box and let the box breath through the cover as desiged.

rhodyguy
just venting to the underside of the car is not the way to go, imho. the tubes i mentioned return to the valve cover area, so venting to the valve covers is a better idea. drill a couple of holes in the engine tin and run the lines thru grommets.
Joe Ricard
Word. DO NOT vent it under the car. You will end up draining the entire sump Via vapor and depositing it on the under side of your motor.

SirAndy
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Mar 4 2008, 09:39 AM) *

Word. DO NOT vent it under the car. You will end up draining the entire sump Via vapor and depositing it on the under side of your motor.

agree.gif the vent needs to be higher than the motor ...

shades.gif Andy

PS: here's a pic of my CB setup i had on the old 2056 ...
the head-vents actually suck in air at higher rpms, so any oil that puddles up in the breather box just runs back into the heads ...
akellym
this works very well for me.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
pete914
sirandy,
so you have one line from oil filler to puke box...two lines from puke box to each valve cover? what kind of fastener grommets are you guys using? it would be so, so, so bad if that came loose in there. further, must have to be a tight fit to keep the dirt out...
thanks for your help. just want to do this right the first time...

by the way...very nice looking engine bay akellym
SirAndy
QUOTE(pete914 @ Mar 4 2008, 01:14 PM) *

sirandy,
so you have one line from oil filler to puke box...two lines from puke box to each valve cover? what kind of fastener grommets are you guys using? it would be so, so, so bad if that came loose in there. further, must have to be a tight fit to keep the dirt out...

almost ... oil filler to puke box ... stock head vents to puke box ...

no need to mess with the valve covers if you have heads that have the stock vent setup. i forget which years had the head vents
shades.gif Andy

green arrow points to the vent hole. it has a insert that you simply clamp the hose to ...

orange914
heres a picture with nipple. anyone got a puke can they want to sell or trade out of?
Click to view attachment
pete914
anyone know the stock years they had the vents? I'm running a '74 1.8L
chris914
Does anyone have pictures of how they added them to the valve covers? My 2 liter heads do not have the breather ports.
So.Cal.914
Now this is just me but I would rather drill the head and add a nipple then try to seal them to the valve cover. My .02
sww914
If my heads weren't already vented like the one in the picture, I would vent the valve covers. It's much easier to remove the valve covers than the heads. The way that I've done it before is to drill a hole in the valve cover in a similar location to the vent in the head and weld on a piece of steel tube with a 1/2"od at the same angle as the vent in the head.
If the heads are already off and they have a flat boss cast into them for the vent, I'd just drill it out, tap it, and screw in a piece of pipe. If I didn't have a tap, I'd JB weld a tube in there.
Let's git her done!
Gint
QUOTE(pete914 @ Mar 4 2008, 04:51 PM) *

Stock 1.8 heads (l-Jet) did not have vents from the factory. All others should have. I may be off a little on that second point though. Someone will correct me if so.

But 1.8's didn't have vents.

My 1.8 (now carb'd) heads need to be vented. But I'll wait to drill the heads rather than try to vent the covers. But that's just me...
orange914
this link will take you to a pair of valve cover breather vents on e-bay smile.gif

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...:SS:MOTORS:1123
purple
QUOTE(Gint @ Mar 4 2008, 08:34 PM) *

QUOTE(pete914 @ Mar 4 2008, 04:51 PM) *

Stock 1.8 heads (l-Jet) did not have vents from the factory. All others should have. I may be off a little on that second point though. Someone will correct me if so.

But 1.8's didn't have vents.

My 1.8 (now carb'd) heads need to be vented. But I'll wait to drill the heads rather than try to vent the covers. But that's just me...

well, holy jeez! I have '74 1.8L heads on my bastardized abomination of a bus engine with hydro lifters! It's about time I figured out wtf heads are on this thing!

They are AMC castings too. I want it notated in the grand book of notation that my engine is bizarre. Those canadians must have been hitting the hydro pretty hard while making my engine.. w00t.gif
chris914
QUOTE(orange914 @ Mar 4 2008, 07:33 PM) *

this link will take you to a pair of valve cover breather vents on e-bay smile.gif

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...:SS:MOTORS:1123

I have a set of those. I was wondering were others put them in the valve covers.
RohJay
QUOTE(chris914 @ Mar 5 2008, 02:38 PM) *

I have a set of those. I was wondering were others put them in the valve covers.

Same request here...
i would like to see exactly where to position the opening on the valve cover.
great if somebody would post a picture...

Thanks
SirAndy
QUOTE(RohJay @ Mar 5 2008, 09:35 PM) *

QUOTE(chris914 @ Mar 5 2008, 02:38 PM) *

Same request here...
i would like to see exactly where to position the opening on the valve cover.
great if somebody would post a picture...

wherever *you* feel like it ... rolleyes.gif

there was no such thing as a factory breather on the valve covers, so whatever you come up with is still going to be better than factory ...
shades.gif Andy

Gint
agree.gif

"A" breather is better than "no" breather. You should probably put it up reasonably high on the cover. Other than that there are no "rules" for doing a valve cover vent.
Gint
I received a PM question(s) that I'm going to answer here in the event that it may help someone else.

Gint,
So you have dual 40's on a 1.8L right? How are you venting your crankcase? Just at the oil filler? what are you running that into? How's the car runnign with this setup? I spoke to a tech over at auto atlanta and he said this should be fine. He also said just run the blowoff under the bottom of the car...
Appreciate your input

Yikes... one question at a time!
  • My mill is a 2056. 2.0 crank and rods with 96mm P/C's on a 1.8 case and heads with dual 40IDF Webers.
  • I currently only have a vent running off of the oil filler with a long hose running up to a small K&N type breather filter near the upper left corner of the engine bay.
  • The car runs fine. The carbs could stand to be jetted so that it runs less rich, but that's a task and conversation for another day. It does leak oil like the Exxon Valdez though. Probably from the push rod tubes and or oil sender. I suspect that the inadequate breather setup could also be a contributor to that condition. Gotta fix those one of these days...
  • I would not just run the blow-off under the car.
My breather filter pollutes the engine bay with oil vapor. Not horribly bad because it's still pretty high, but bad enough. I believe this is primarily because the current breather setup is not adequate. Regardless what an AA tech says. And if you run the hose under the car, the oil vapor will just pollute the underside of the car instead of the engine bay.

If this motor stays in the car much longer (probably won't), I plan to get a breather style like the one in this thread and vent the heads. That's what this motor really needs. Yours may be different, but I doubt it.
rhodyguy
i imagine those ebay vent items will do the job. to drill and tap the heads you'ld have to pull them which just opens a big can of worms. the "while you're in there" scene. if you do the valve covers, bear in mind the correct orientation of the covers when in place and putting the tubes in so they don't interfear with the bales.

the cb bb is not a sealed unit but the foam element does a good job of keeping the vapor mess to a minimum.

k
ruddyboys
my engine doesn't have either head vents or valve cover vents, if I put these nipples on my valve covers would it stop the leaking from around the top of the push rod tubes? And yes I have tried to replace the O-rings, but have the old '70 heads with smaller pushrod tube openings that have no longer made original O-rings, had to go to FLAPS and even hardware stores to try to find ones that are close. Using a sealant that Jake mentioned has helped a lot.
pete914
ruddyboys: I bet venting would help. Its the pressure along with bad push rod seals thats probably causing the leakage...
Well, I might start with something like Gint's setup and then consider venting to the valve covers. I know that this is a different setup then the factor FI (running carbs), but if the engineers didn't think it was necessary for the engine to have any additional venting other than the oil cap filler, perhaps that single vent is adequate. Also, were is the condensing oil going to go once it gets inside the valve covers? Everytime I've adjusted my valves it doesn't seem like there is any oil in there...
So.Cal.914
I am going to throw this out and take my lumps. Why do you need to pull the

heads? Why can't you drop the engine, pull the v cover, rocker assy, air tubes

may be nesessary, plug the intake and push rod tubes with oiled cheese cloth or

cotton linen. and drill them. Use a piece of brass tubing (JB Weld if you wish) and

drive it in to the head and reassemble after cleanup. Then its done, you'll never

need to mess with it again. With the valve cover ( that should have come with a

factory zipper) breather everytime you need to adjust the valves...Well you get

the point. Just my .02
Spoke
So were breather vents standard issue on FI 914 engines? I have a 1.8L engine with no breathers on the valve covers or in the head. What's up with this?

On my 74 2L with FI, there is a breather from the 1-2 cylinder head that goes to the air cleaner. On the 3-4 cylinder head, there is a hole in the cylinder head but no nipple or hose. The hole looks to be open into the valve area. Is this normal or is something missing? Sorry no pics right now.
ConeDodger
I use this CFR Spunone collaboration. The two side hoses come from the heads and the bottom front exit comes from the oil filler tower. The can is fuel cell foam filled. The oil vapor drains down into the can and then back into the engine.

A very nice set up. Though Chris wants to make at least ten at a time. I bought another set up but decided not to use it. It would require T fittings to combine the hoses from the three vent locations and it has a petcock to drain the collected oil. I paid over $100 for it. $75 shipped to whoever wants it. New...
So.Cal.914
I don't know if this is the case for sure, and I know i'll be corrected if not. I have

heard that the 1.8 needs to have the oil filler cap seal in working condition, if it

leaks, it can cause the engine to run shitty. Sooo it makes me think, that with FI,

you would not want to have a oil filler cap seal in working order and yet a big hole

in your head. (connected)

I am pretty sure you are missing the tube in that 2.0 head. smile.gif
orange914
QUOTE(Spoke @ Mar 6 2008, 09:11 AM) *

there is a hole in the cylinder head but no nipple or hose. The hole looks to be open into the valve area. Is this normal or is something missing?

QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Mar 6 2008, 09:20 AM) *

I am pretty sure you are missing the tube in that 2.0 head. smile.gif

agree.gif the tube is missing. i noticed that the (alum) tubes in my heads from LN/jake are nicely welded on the inside. thumb3d.gif

mike
Gint
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Mar 6 2008, 09:58 AM) *

I am going to throw this out and take my lumps. Why do you need to pull the

heads? Why can't you drop the engine, pull the v cover, rocker assy, air tubes

may be nesessary, plug the intake and push rod tubes with oiled cheese cloth or

cotton linen. and drill them. Use a piece of brass tubing (JB Weld if you wish) and

drive it in to the head and reassemble after cleanup.
I never said you or the OP did. I said I'm going to. Because that's what I'd prefer to do.

Spoke,
The stock 1.8 with L-Jet doesn't have a vent by design. Perhaps one of the true 914 gurus can tell you why. But that's why 1.8 heads aren't drilled for vents from the factory. But once the car is carb'd, it needs the vents.

Gotta go... the 914 has to be prepared for a 1700 mile round trip to Route66!
Gint
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Mar 6 2008, 10:15 AM) *
A very nice set up. Though Chris wants to make at least ten at a time. I bought another set up but decided not to use it. It would require T fittings to combine the hoses from the three vent locations and it has a petcock to drain the collected oil. I paid over $100 for it. $75 shipped to whoever wants it. New...

I was wondering what happened to that deal. I still want one. I'll take yours Rob. Consider it sold. But right now I have to get ready to head out for Route66.
CCE
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Mar 6 2008, 12:15 PM) *

I use this CFR Spunone collaboration. The two side hoses come from the heads and the bottom front exit comes from the oil filler tower. The can is fuel cell foam filled. The oil vapor drains down into the can and then back into the engine.

I like your solution very much. Thanks for the picture…
Right now I am in the process to find out how to mount the catch can. My 2.0 did came with the vented heads. I am using the original part to connect the two tubes into one, now the location of the catch Can is what I don’t like I need an horizontal type of tube like in your image.

Click to view attachment
barefoot
2056 with Dell 40's head vents connected to each other (red hose) & Breather box mounted high enough to let any oil drain down to chimney inlet. Single hose to air cleaner top plate.
i get no oil indication in the translucent hoses & no gunk in the carb. Very clean & neat set-up.

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.