Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Where to get an Engine?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
XrayMed
Where are yall getting your used engines? Preferably 6 cylinders. Is there some place thats pretty trustworthy that everyone favors or is it just the luck of the draw by shopping around?.

I noticed there is alot of rebuilders but I havn't run across just a source for Engines. Preferably the stock/oem 6 or 911 engines either or.

Xray
SLITS
Members (classifieds), eBay and Craiglist (be careful), local salvage yards.

Prefer members that I know or have had contact with in the past. They won't usually lie.
Dr Evil
Ebay and the various classifieds forums on here, the Club, and Pelican Parts are generally the places to search. Ask here before buying from some vendors, or do a search on their names as you will quickly find out who you can trust and who you cant. There are salvage yards, but they are in business to generate a profit so their prices tend to be much higher than you can find from private sellers.
What size /6 are you looking for? Many of us hoard parts, or know of others that do and may have such a power plant for sale.
Dr Evil
Oops, posted other reply from another thread :duh:
lotus_65
you could call oklahoma foreign
sww914
There's a place in Ca that you don't want to do business with. Their initials are MM. Bad stories are common and good stories are rare about these guys.
Brando
I believe you can still buy drop-in ready 2.0L cylinder engines from the Porsche dealership. Emissions-control equipped - just attach your exhaust and go. Price may vary, last I saw on the price list was a couple grand retail.
carr914
That price list must be from 1975
Brando
August 2007 pricelist from local dealership.

Crap, I hope that wasn't cost. *hides*
PRS914-6
My suggestion would be to search, be patient and find one still in the car that someone is going to part out. Post a WTB at Pelican.

This way you get to hear it run or better yet even drive it......
John
I would second Oklahoma Foreign.

I have been involved with several engines bought through them. They have all been good. They are good to deal with and stand behind what they sell.

Do your homework, figure out exactly what you want, and document everything that you want included with the engine in writing so that there are no mis-understandings. This goes for any big ticket item you happen to buy.

just my free advice.

PRS914-6
I was not as lucky with Oklahoma Foreign

Ordered a pair of 993 rear brake calipers. Received 2 right sides and had to pay the freight back since they did not have a left one. They shipped another pair and one of the bolts holding the calipers halves together was missing and the other bolts buggered up. I had to rob a bolt from another caliper I had. I asked them to ship the bolt and refund the shipping. Never got either and gave up.

I have had the best customer service from Parts Heaven. While not perfect, every mistake they made was fixed without begging or question and would do business with them again. They are kinda pricey though. I have heard good things about Easy Salvage but have not done business with them yet.

Bought my 3.6 motor from LA Porsche Dismantlers. I eventually got everything promised at a fair price but it took a dozen phone calls to get right. Stuff like "it's been shipped" when it wasn't, "it doesn't include that" when my contract said it did. Just stuff like that......

Hey, it's tough out there.....
PRS914-6
This is the kind of stuff to look for....
Pelican thread
woobn8r
I have heard good things about "20th street auto"(in AZ) ....
jasons
QUOTE(woobn8r @ Nov 13 2007, 06:54 AM) *

I have heard good things about "20th street auto"(in AZ) ....

20th Street is OK, I've bought a lot of stuff from them. But, they aint cheap. You're looking at about $7200 for an 80k mile 3.2 motor. See the link.... I've seen the same motor sell for around $5k on other sites. (pelican, ebay, etc...)

3.2 from 20th street

So if you want to do a conversion, add roughly another $5k in parts to that price then labor. (depending on how resourceful you are)
carr914
QUOTE(Brando @ Nov 12 2007, 04:36 PM) *

I believe you can still buy drop-in ready 2.0L cylinder engines from the Porsche dealership. Emissions-control equipped - just attach your exhaust and go. Price may vary, last I saw on the price list was a couple grand retail.

Please share the info if true. A 2.0 SIX, just add exhaust for a couple grand. If so, nobody would ever need a rebuild, they would just replace.

T.C.
HalM
I have been in the 911 arena a long time and candidly I have never heard of a 2.0 six from the dealer for a couple of grand. Hope it is true, but never heard of it.

That said, unless you are going vintage racing or have an original 6, why would you buy a 2.0? You can get more power from a 2056 long block from one of the vendors for a much lower total cost.

Here are the guide lines most of my 911 buddies use when replacing a motor. 1.) Only buy one that is in a car so you can drive it, hear it and have a leak-down and compression test. Otherwise it is a crap shoot. 2.) Buy the cheapest long bock you can find and rebuild it. That way you know exactly what to expect.

HTH
rick 918-S
QUOTE(lotus_65 @ Nov 12 2007, 10:14 AM) *

you could call oklahoma foreign

agree.gif I've had very good luck with these guys.
Inspector
Steve Timmins at Instant G= peace of mind. I bought a 3.2 from him that he rebuilt for not much more than a used engine. He has 2.0 to monster 3.8 that are used his warrantee is not that good but he tests used motors.
SGB
no one mentions Mr Raby?Massive type IV
Dr Evil
"Preferably 6 cylinders"
Brando
QUOTE(carr914 @ Nov 13 2007, 02:21 PM) *

I believe you can still buy drop-in ready 2.0L 4 cylinder engines from the Porsche dealership. Emissions-control equipped - just attach your exhaust and go. Price may vary, last I saw on the price list was a couple grand retail.

Please share the info if true. A 2.0 SIX, just add exhaust for a couple grand. If so, nobody would ever need a rebuild, they would just replace.

T.C.

Woah woah woah, who's sayin 6 cylinder engine? 4, yes.

039100053A ENGINE 4950.26
2L CA model

022100025B ENGINE 2039.73
022100027D ENGINE 2039.73
022100025C ENGINE 3012.00

Various 2L and 1.8L engines. Those are retail prices.
SGB
yeah, I saw the preferably 6 cylinder part and I missed "used"
GWN7
QUOTE(Brando @ Nov 15 2007, 04:56 AM) *

QUOTE(carr914 @ Nov 13 2007, 02:21 PM) *

I believe you can still buy drop-in ready 2.0L 4 cylinder engines from the Porsche dealership. Emissions-control equipped - just attach your exhaust and go. Price may vary, last I saw on the price list was a couple grand retail.

T.C.

Woah woah woah, who's sayin 6 cylinder engine? 4, yes.

039100053A ENGINE 4950.26
2L CA model

022100025B ENGINE 2039.73
022100027D ENGINE 2039.73
022100025C ENGINE 3012.00

Various 2L and 1.8L engines. Those are retail prices.

When you posted that you saw the info listed I decided to investigate and called my local Porsche dealership. I asked about:

039 100 053A

and

039 100 053B

The two higher HP 2.0L engines listed in the PET guide.

I was quoted $6435.00 for the A and $4965.00 for the B

The parts guy then checked on availability and he found that they were for remanufactured engines and did not include freight from Germany. He said that they would supply on demand which means they have no stock but would find a case and rebuild it when it was ordered.

So yes (4 cyl) engines are available from Porsche and I imagine so would the 6 cyl ones too.
XrayMed
idea.gif

Wow I got more than I expected when I started this post

biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.