Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 944 Calipers - Master Cyl?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Enigma
Hello,

My 73 914 has been fitted with 911 rotors and 944 calipers. The guy installed the 944 vaccum brake booster and master cylinder in the spare tire well of this car.

Needless to say, I am not impressed with his conversion.

I wish to remove the power brake booster and install the master cylinder back where it belongs.

My Question is, will the 944 master cylinder thats is currently attached to the brake booster bolt into the original 914 mount? If not what master will bolt up to the 914 and work with the 944 calipers?

Cheers
davep
Must have been the car I saw at Mike's; was it silver?
AFAIK, only the non-boosted MC's will fit and work in the stock location.
That would be the popular 19mm master, or the ultra rare 20mm master.
There is also the Mercedes 23mm master that can be made to work.
What are the actual piston sizes on your calipers. The pair I have has quad 28mm pistons, so I assume it is for the rear of a 951 from some year.
Brando
Your engine probably doesn't create enough vacuum to work properly with that booster.

Go to a 19mm MC, $75-$150. Should work good with the brake setup you have. Expect to push harder on the pedal though.

What kind of pads are you running, also? That will have an effect on your car's braking as well.
Aaron Cox
piston area would let us give you a suggestion on what size MC to run....

i *THINK* most people running 951 calipers use 19mm mc...
736conver
I had 944 turbo ,951, calipers up front and 911M's out back and ran a 19mm. Had more then enough pressure.
Enigma
QUOTE(davep @ Nov 12 2007, 02:43 PM) *

Must have been the car I saw at Mike's; was it silver?
AFAIK, only the non-boosted MC's will fit and work in the stock location.
That would be the popular 19mm master, or the ultra rare 20mm master.
There is also the Mercedes 23mm master that can be made to work.
What are the actual piston sizes on your calipers. The pair I have has quad 28mm pistons, so I assume it is for the rear of a 951 from some year.

Its at Mikes Now. I sent you pictures of it. Yep, its silver.

1973 914/6 conversion. 2.7 litre.

I spoke with Jim at patrick motorsports and he recommends the 23mm for a nice stiff peddle, and the kit is cheap too. ( 250.00 USD) So I think im gonna go with that.
Enigma
QUOTE(Brando @ Nov 12 2007, 02:59 PM) *

Your engine probably doesn't create enough vacuum to work properly with that booster.

Go to a 19mm MC, $75-$150. Should work good with the brake setup you have. Expect to push harder on the pedal though.

What kind of pads are you running, also? That will have an effect on your car's braking as well.

Its a 2.7 litre 6, it seems to create lots of vacuum. I ran it up through the first 3 gears to about 90 mph near my buddies place, a white car, (the cops!) pulled up a side street about half a mile ahead, I hit the brakes hard, and all 4 wheel instantly and totally locked up. Its wwaayy to touchy with that big booster on it. Fine if it was a caddy, but its not. Not only that it looks rediculous in the spare tire well.

Jim at patrick motorsports agrees the 19 will work just fine, but he perfers the 23 as the pedal is stiffer, so Im gonna give it a try. I will report back.

Cheers & Thanks
Brando
Thought it would be a 2L 4-cyl, or maybe less than 2L. So braking isn't the problem, it's getting them not to lock up.
Enigma
QUOTE(Brando @ Nov 12 2007, 04:40 PM) *

Thought it would be a 2L 4-cyl, or maybe less than 2L. So braking isn't the problem, it's getting them not to lock up.

Right on! Its just too much! I'd rather have the ol' fashion good hefty push on the pedal. However I was hoping to re-use the 944 master, but I suppose not.

The 23mm unit patrick reccomends comes as a kit, with a push rod remote res, and tubing etc.

Oh well. its only money. In the last 2 weeks I've ordered -

-The complete Wevos shift Kit as it has a 915 gear box
-New front motor mount
-complete oil cooler for the front air dam (916 style)
-gear reducted starter
-Throttle cable kit
-Tranny mounts
-3rd gear syncro
-gauges
-and a tone of other needed stuff.

This car was very nicely done. however the conversion to 6 was kinda "cobbled up" So, I'm in the process of "uncobbling" this poor little car.

Maybe I should start another thread with pictures "A Bad Conversion Goes Good"

Cheers
Brando
Who originally did the conversion?

And, sounds like a VERY fun project. I'm envious. smile.gif
Enigma
QUOTE(Brando @ Nov 12 2007, 04:55 PM) *

Who originally did the conversion?

And, sounds like a VERY fun project. I'm envious. smile.gif

Well..... I'd rather not say. Let just accept its was an older gent who believed in trying to custom make everything himself. The conversion just lacks that professional touch.

What did get done right was the tub. Its a beauty. Stripped down to the metal on all sides, epoxy primed and painted all sides.

It has all the right equipment, 911 hubs, rotors, front suspension bits, 2.7 litre rebuilt 6, 915 tranny, Fuchs... etc...

It just needs the final touches to make it right and proper.

Ill see if I can post a picture
Enigma
Well, this is it. I've looked for 20 years in Canada for a car this clean.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.