Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Brake/Engine/Emissions questions on a '76
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Racer
I have been looking for another 914 and came across a 1976 that is of interest, but it also leaves me with some questions as my previous car was a '70 and quite different

1) I thought I read that in 72 or 73 the cars got bigger brakes.. what exactly is bigger? - caliper, rotor, pad all 3?

2) I was reading in "excellece was expected" that the '75 and '76s were choked down on power due to emission related changes. The current seller has indicated that the smog equipment has been removed and the car is running "SSIs" with a '73 muffler. Will this restore any lost power vs a '73-74 2.0l?

I think the HP specs fro 73-74 2.0 were 90-95hp and that by '76 it was down to 85hp true?

3) What version of FI came on the cars this late? I know there were several versions - Djet, Ljet, Kjet... Is one system "better" than another for any reason?

As a side note, emmissions are NOT a concern as the car will get collector tags and not be subjected to emmissions testing.

TIA smile.gif
type47
are you the same "racer" from the dorkiphus board? if so, i'm also type954 (there).

1) brakes are the same 70-76. unvented basically vw brakes.

2) i know (think) '76 had a cat and probably the 75 did also and air pumps for emissions. you could remove these and change the HE to earlier, of course, for off road only. rolleyes.gif earlier exhaust yields only a little hp gain.

3) all '76 would be a 2.0 L w/D-jet. the "better" EFI system is (to quote the factory literature) L-jet. L-jet morphed into motronic with the flap/vane to measure air flow. even the 928 had a version of L-jet. 1.8's had L-jet. 1.7's had D-jet

QUOTE(Racer @ Nov 12 2007, 01:07 PM) *

I have been looking for another 914 and came across a 1976 that is of interest, but it also leaves me with some questions as my previous car was a '70 and quite different

1) I thought I read that in 72 or 73 the cars got bigger brakes.. what exactly is bigger? - caliper, rotor, pad all 3?

2) I was reading in "excellece was expected" that the '75 and '76s were choked down on power due to emission related changes. The current seller has indicated that the smog equipment has been removed and the car is running "SSIs" with a '73 muffler. Will this restore any lost power vs a '73-74 2.0l?

I think the HP specs fro 73-74 2.0 were 90-95hp and that by '76 it was down to 85hp true?

3) What version of FI came on the cars this late? I know there were several versions - Djet, Ljet, Kjet... Is one system "better" than another for any reason?

As a side note, emmissions are NOT a concern as the car will get collector tags and not be subjected to emmissions testing.

TIA smile.gif

Racer
Yup... same racer.. but since there aren't a lot of 914 lovers there, I came here first!
type47
we're doing some work on my muffler this weekend (sat) in sterling at roots shop, you're welcome to stop by and shoot the breeze. root is an all around mechanic/car guy/wealth of information/nice guy. he has a 914 that is "custom" built. if interested, PM me for directions.
blitZ
I have a 76, here is GA, it's legal to remove the emission devices. Check your local laws. Reverting the late exhaust to SSI and a decent muffler is quite a boost. I believe it was responsible for most of the reduction in HP.
shelby/914
My '76 has a sticker on it that says it is a non cat car, but a PO living in California added one according to receipts that came with it. I removed it and backdated the exhaust to '73 2.0L style and you can definately tell the difference in power. The air pump and manifold had already been removed and the emissions inspector never noticed it. He did however check the gas tank filler neck to make sure it hadn't been modified to use leaded fuel. Like that is readily available, but it's part of the E test procedure. Now that it has collector plates I never have to have it tested again as long as I own it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.