Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What is this popping sound?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
derekdenman
I am hearing a pop sporadically while driving at a constant RPM. Whenever it pops you can feel the engine miss as well. The engine is a very fresh 2056 with dual Dellorto 40’s, mild carb web cam, and a stock 050 distributer. Also it runs strong from idle to about mid throttle but after mid throttle it has no power and goes from a smooth sound to a very low throaty sound. It seems like it is rich due to the lack of power after half throttle but it the pop seems like a lean miss. Any suggestions? Maybe multiple problems?
degreeoff
Hmm sounds almost like a ignition issue....
cobra94563
popcorn[1].gif

I'm experiencing something similar (on a different engine).
I have an O2 sensor on the exhaust and my mixture is fine thru the range, so I'm thinking something in the ignition. popcorn[1].gif
derekdenman
I am running a Crane XR3000 ignition with the LS91 coil. The wires plugs, boots, and cap are all new. One the vacuum advance there are two nipples. One nipple is pulling a vacuum from the manifold. The other (closest to distributer) is not connected to anything.
Allan
Clogged idle jets.
IronHillRestorations
Ed Mayo once told me that half of carburator problems are ignition.

Check to make sure your distributor is getting full advance, and also check your timing at full advance.

If that checks out OK, then I'd suspect you might need to go up a size on the main jet. I don't know how much trouble it is to change jets on Dels.
thomasotten
Sounds a lot like the same problem I ham having. I'm running Dells too. What are your jet sizes? popcorn[1].gif
So.Cal.914

Sounds a lot like the same problem I ham having. I'm running Dells too.

Well theres your problem, I run Webers.

w00t.gif
degreeoff
QUOTE(derekdenman @ Nov 12 2007, 04:28 PM) *

I am running a Crane XR3000 ignition with the LS91 coil. The wires plugs, boots, and cap are all new. One the vacuum advance there are two nipples. One nipple is pulling a vacuum from the manifold. The other (closest to distributer) is not connected to anything.

Ummm dumb question but the other nipple is plugged yes? blink.gif I mean if its not then you'd be getting no vaccum I PrEsUmE?

SEE next post....

Ok so I am an idiot......thats what a 009 and soon to be a crankfire system will do to a guy
Twystd1
If ya plug the other nipple. The advance plate won't move... ya leave it open

Clayton
Joe Ricard
These threads are sooooo funny.
What RPM cruising up to 3500 RPM Throttle slightly open. you are on the idle jets feeding though the progression ports.
As the throttle opens up and RPM increases the mains start flowing so if you put your foot down and it runs good then it isn't the mains.

I bet one partially clogged idle jet. which causes you to run lean.
thomasotten
I have heard bad things about that distributer, 050.
Thack
Sounds like it's lean before you get into the mains. That low/mid throttle transition is tricky with carbs. Does it get better once warmed up?
Borderline
Look for a vacuum leak. spray some carb cleaner around the intake manifold and head while the engine is idling & listen for a change in idle speed. I was so sure my new thick universal gaskets couldn't be leaking...........wrong. Also, if the carbs are older, they may be leaking around the throttle shaft.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.