Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Applying for job at Ski Resort
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Toast
I am applying for a seasonal job at a ski resort.
The reasort is having a Job Fair this Saturday, which I plan to attend.

There are several jobs that I could be qualified for. On the application it asks to "List the position(s) applying for in order of preference". You can fax the application.

I am not sure what each position entails though. I haven't been to a Job Fair in about 8 years, so im not sure if each position will be desrcibed at the fair or not.

Should I:
1. Put 3 random positions in the application and fax it over to get it in early.
-or-
2. Fill out the application minus the position section and go to the Job Fair and see if they describe the positions. Then fill out the application with my top three choices and turn it in there.

confused24.gif

toast.gif
Thack
Never leave an application blank. It may be thrown away or disregarded. Fill it out to the best of your knowledge, then ask questions or scratch out a position with a counselor's help when you find out you want a different position at the fair.
byndbad914
QUOTE(Toast @ Nov 13 2007, 01:27 PM) *

There are several jobs that I could be qualified for. On the application it asks to "List the position(s) applying for in order of preference". You can fax the application.

I am not sure what each position entails though. I haven't been to a Job Fair in about 8 years, so im not sure if each position will be desrcibed at the fair or not.

Should I:
1. Put 3 random positions in the application and fax it over to get it in early.
-or-
2. Fill out the application minus the position section and go to the Job Fair and see if they describe the positions. Then fill out the application with my top three choices and turn it in there.

confused24.gif

toast.gif

Since you aren't picky (since you say you would pick at random) I would leave it blank, go to the fair and see who you click with personality-wise (as a short term job will be better if you like working for the person v. worrying about getting the "right" job) and list the top 3 contacts position they are hiring for.

I would only fill in advance if I wanted a specific job. Just any job, go and see who is hungry to hire you and interested in hiring you and put down their job in order of whom I clicked with best to whom I clicked with sorta best laugh.gif
Chuck
agree.gif Never leave the position sought blank. You can always change it later.
Eric_Shea
President
Vice President
Managing Director

...if none of those are available take the next best one as long as they can provide a career path to one of the above. wink.gif

(do not leave it blank)
PeeGreen 914
I agree that you shouldn't leave it blank. My brother was the Manager of Stevens Pass when I was little, and he said it was always important to him to hire the people that had the look being professional. Even if they were just going to be a lift operator.
neo914-6
QUOTE(Toast @ Nov 13 2007, 12:27 PM) *

Should I:
-or-

confused24.gif

toast.gif

be clear about responsibilities or qualities of each position you are interested in.

Have an "elevator" speech ready for each position (2 minutes "why you should hire me")

orthobiz
Just don't fill out the Favorite Movie section with "The Shining."
And that goes for Favorite Book, too!

biz

Oh yeah, and Claudine Longet as favorite singer...
Sad tale of Claudine

Sorry, couldn't resist. biggrin.gif
STL914
Is the "Ski Bunny" position available"
byndbad914

guys - she never said she would leave the app blank. Re-read the first post, she is asking if she should fill out ahead of time or if she should go there, find what is available and fill out for those specific available positions before turning in.
Thack
edit: never leave a line blank on an application. smile.gif
kart54
Toast,
I worked at Mammoth Mountain Ski Area for 10 years. If you have a good command of English, no visible tatoos, no pink or purple hair and you have graduated from high school your chances of being hired are excellent. The only jobs that require experience are ski school, ski patrol and race department. The rest of the time we were happy if we got a sober kid who could show up to work on time. As mentioned above, find someone in a department you think you'll like. Many times during the year we transferred within departments based on what we felt the persons real ability was. Some kids found out that standing at a chair lift checking tickets in below zero weather for days on end was not their thing and that even though they didn't get to ski as much as they wanted (because I was the boss and I was out skiing) working inside in a shop was still preferable.
On another front though, you made a comment in another of your posts regarding peoples ability to speak English and their immigration status from some problems you had at a home depot. These will be the majority of people you work with at a ski area so make sure your okay with that. I just went to Mammoth for the 3 day veterans day to say hi to old friends and get ready for the new season. It's a different world these days and if you are not okay with that then a ski area may not be your best bet. Even in my day 10 years ago the majority of ski school, race department and my shop were immigrants of questionable status from Switzerland, Australia, Chile and Mexico. Some spoke English and others well,,, not so good.
It was a great experience and one I still look back on very fondly. I skiied at least 2 or 3 hours on average 180-200 days a year and I still have very good friends at Mammoth even though I haven't been there full time in 10 years.
If you have any other questions about particular jobs you can P.M. me . Because of the way Mammoth worked back then and the fact that Dave McCoy wanted well rounded people there isn't a job other than ski shcool or ski patrol I haven't done.
Buena Suerte (good luck)
Randy
Ventura, CA. (sunny, warm beaches, no more cold no mo)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.