Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Winch for the trailer
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
race914
I've been thinking about putting a winch on the trailer.

Anyone use one of these from Harbor Freight? 3000 lb Winch, item #91781

Neither the ad info, nor the manual specifies line speed so I've contacted them for that info. Don't want a winch that takes 10 minutes to pull the car into the trailer...

Comments on this? Any other recommendations? What do you guys use?
john rogers
That's about the same winch I have used on two different trailers. The price can't be beat and they work great although a tad noisy.
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(john rogers @ Nov 13 2007, 03:23 PM) *

That's about the same winch I have used on two different trailers. The price can't be beat and they work great although a tad noisy.

agree.gif
Joe Ricard
Got one of those on my trailer and it works GOOD.
I have it wired to a battery on the trailer which gets charged when the lights are plugged in.

GWN7
I payed the same for a 1500 lbs one a few years ago.....It dosen't have enough pull and I'm upgrading to the 3000 lb next trip down to HF.....a 3000 lb one will yank a 914 onto any trailer
URY914
I use a winch to load my car also.

But your wasting your money with anything electrical from HF. It won't last a year.
flesburg
I have a 3000lb wench that I bought at a farm supply store. About $200. We had to rewire the truck with some real heavy wire (no 6??) from the battery (via some adaptors) to the rear of the truck. Stock trailer harness would not handle the load.

It works great. I can load the car all by myself now. The only thing I wish I had is a remote switch so I could walk up on the trailer with the car.

The trailer is in Missouri now, but if you would like, I will get the name and model number for you from "John"....
race914

Thanks to everyone for your replies.

I just got a note from Harbor Freight 'tech line', they say the line speed is 4-10 feet/minute. I'm guessing that is max load to no load speeds.

The winch is in the latest HF mailing for $89

race914
QUOTE(flesburg @ Nov 13 2007, 07:28 PM) *

I have a 3000lb wench that I bought at a farm supply store. About $200. We had to rewire the truck with some real heavy wire (no 6??) from the battery (via some adaptors) to the rear of the truck. Stock trailer harness would not handle the load.

It works great. I can load the car all by myself now. The only thing I wish I had is a remote switch so I could walk up on the trailer with the car.

The trailer is in Missouri now, but if you would like, I will get the name and model number for you from "John"....

Dale,

If it's not too much trouble, I'd like the info on your winch. Also, how long does it take to load your car?

Thanks,

Greg
john rogers
I would not be too concerned about high speed when loading. If there is a problem with the car then you have to cycle the remote and that makes the car jerk which is not good for the winch. As for lasting, my first one lasted at least 8 years and the as far as I know the fellow that bought the trailer is probably still using it. You can extend the wires on the remote as I did so I can stand on the ramp of my 34 foot toy hauler and the control box is in the front. Finally figure a worse case scenario such as the trans locks and the rear wheels will not turn so the winch should be able to pull the car on the trailer, unless you have some dollys.
URY914
Mine is slow and I like it like that. Gives you time to react if there is a problem.
grantsfo
I have a 2500 lb HF winch I bought for $35. Its a piece of crap, but it pulls the car on the trailer just fine. Still working without an issue.
race914
Thanks to all for your responses on trailer winches

FYI. I got down to HF and now they have a wireless controller 3000lb winch (#95912) on sale for $69. This also includes the $14.00 mounting plate that is not included with the $89 3000lb winch with cable remote#91781

You can also get an extended warranty for $20 if you think it won't last...
flesburg
Race914

My winch was made by a company called SuperWinch. My model is S3000.

check them out at www.superwinch.com

I bought mine at a farm supply store.
race914
QUOTE(flesburg @ Nov 17 2007, 07:25 PM) *

Race914

My winch was made by a company called SuperWinch. My model is S3000.

check them out at www.superwinch.com

I bought mine at a farm supply store.

Thanks Dale,

I've been looking at those too. Thanks for getting that info. I appreciate it.

Greg
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.