Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anybody got a map for a 2.7L with a SDS EM4 wMSD?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
p914
Are the MAP settings interchangable between cars?

I have a fresh rebuild with 103 mm pistons, .415 lift 278 duration Scat camshaft, 317cc/min injectors (stock 2.0), EM4 w MSD, 78.4 typeIV crankshaft, Stock 2.0 stroker rods, an Asian Celica GT Intake.

Any other info needed to compare? Right now the system needs a bit of tuning to get it to idle smoother when warmed up so it won't die out when coming down from a high RPM like when you take your foot of the gas and let it drop.

Basically, I'd take the info to my mechanic and he would further tune it.
I'm in the Portland Metro area as far as climate goes.
Does any of this make sense? I'm no mechanic.
Tx
Eddie
Aaron Cox
question.... do stock intake runners support enough air flow for a 2.7?
p914
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Nov 13 2007, 03:01 PM) *

question.... do stock intake runners support enough air flow for a 2.7?

A good question that I don't have an answer to.
I am not a mechanic. confused24.gif
jd74914
The engine theoretically flows enough air (assuming the runner ID is 1.25in). Theoretically the engine is pulling in air at about 130mph @7K.

Theoretically max power happens when the air enters at about .4Mach so to achieve this figure the runners should have an ID of about .75 inches.

Note, before people jump on me the above is *theoretically* true for a simple mass balance/mass flow problem. In real life having runners of such size for their entire length (and with a sharp bend at the end) is restrictive; the air is affected by inner friction and other flow problems and chokes itself.

With the huge engine size you'll probably run into other problems using the stock runners. They can scavage from each other, and the stock plenum is probably too small for a 2.7L. The bends and lack of pulse tuning will further slow the air's ability to get into the cylinders so your results using a stock plenum may not be optimal, but it will work. smile.gif
Twystd1

A few things occur to me.

1) SDS probably has a ball park tune already set up for this basic combo
that will get you a base map to get it going.

2) I am used to 3D mapping. And I don't believe the SDS system has that.
So I am not sure how one would interpret the data from another ECU AND program it into the SDS setup. As I believe the mapping is different from doing a CURSORY inspection of their web site. (Bout 2 minutes wort)

3) Jake probably knows the answer off the top of his head. He is that good.

Your injectors are good for up to around 200 HP at 43 psi with a bsfc around 50. With a 80% duty cycle. According to my software.

Since I don't know the answer to your question And can only hypothesize. I say get a baseline map. Have the EGT and A/F meter hooked up. And simply give the engine what it needs.
The engine will tell you what it needs if you look at the data stream, listen to the engine and be bit conservative on your tuning till you get comfortable with your setup.

What has SDS told you as far as a base map...???????????????

Now back to the question at hand.

I dunno......

Cheers,
Clayton
p914
Thanks guys so far for your input. Clayton, You bring up a good point about the plenum. It may have been changed and I can find out.

Below is the answer from SDS to the same info I posted in the 1st post.

Hi Eddie,

There are so many variables that we don't have many trusted maps for the
huge numbers of engines/ combos out there. Best to judge how well your's
runs and check AFRs across the whole range with a wideband.

Cheers,

Ross
G e o r g e
hijacked.gif

not to change the subject , but can you show some pics of your install

I'm trying to finalize where to install my system before i start cutting and drilling blink.gif
Twystd1
Your throttle body will work.

How well.. I have no idea. But it will definetly work to get your engine running. And possibly running pretty well.
\
And maybe you will run out of air at higher RPMs.
And maybe not........

Your engine will probably pull like a freight train down low... As you ain't gunna be hurting for velocity with that intake system.

If the power starts dropping off from intake restriction. It will be self evident.

In the interim. It will get it on the road.

What are you doing for the exhaust?

Clayton
DNHunt
I'm trying to get around SDS programming after using 3d and it is hard. But, you might want to look at the EM4 manual. There is a map for a 3.2 on page 50. It might get you started. AFR, CHT if you have it and reading plugs should get you there. If you are going to check plugs don't let it idle first.

From what you are describing I would try to add more fuel to the lower rpm bins.

Dave
p914
QUOTE(DNHunt @ Nov 14 2007, 07:12 AM) *

I'm trying to get around SDS programming after using 3d and it is hard. But, you might want to look at the EM4 manual. There is a map for a 3.2 on page 50. It might get you started. AFR, CHT if you have it and reading plugs should get you there. If you are going to check plugs don't let it idle first.

From what you are describing I would try to add more fuel to the lower rpm bins.

Dave

Thanks Dave,
That's where we started. The 3.2 map and have adjusted accordingly from there.
Eddie

Clayton,
The exhaust is stock and I'm looking down the road to retrofit earlier exchangers so I can possibly put in a Triad. Power... yeah it has plenty of that now. Just a bit of fine tuning to work out small bugs.

George,
I'll take some pics and post em.
p914
Here's pics as requested.

Yeah....that's rust around the hell hole. mad.gif Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment
Jake Raby
Find a dyno and tune it..

EVERY engine combination fdifference will change the fuel map, why?? Because the fuel map is directly impacted by the engine's efficiency, matter of fact they are mirror images of each other.

Cam, heads, CR, exhaust, intake specs and every other sub component are what determine efficiency and the fuel map... I have made nothing but a cam change and ended up with a worthless fuel map that worked on the same combo before...

No easy way around it, you just have to tune it- part of programmable EFI and there is no way around it.... No one elses fuel map is gonna get you close.

No, the stock plenum and runners are not adequate to support a 2.7, I tested them last year on a 2613 and when they were swapped to an adequately sized plenum with shorter, larger diameter runners we picked up FORTY HP....

Grab and LM-1 and start driving.. the first time I used SDS in any car was my 912E, I set it up with base values in a single 105 mile trip, by myself, in the dark and in the rain.. That night I got all the values locked up to 6,000 RPM and I have only touched it twice since then, one of those times when I swapped exhaust and that altered the fuel curve..
p914
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Nov 14 2007, 12:07 PM) *

Find a dyno and tune it..

Thanks J,
There's 2 dynos in my area one is a dynojet and the other is a Mustang. I have plans to get it into one or the other. For a daily driver the engine runs pretty good, just need a few tweaks to smooth it out completely. Since the rebuild this car runs smoother on the highway and around town than ever before.

I know that I'm not getting all the HP and performance out of it yet..... naughty.gif yet.
Eddie
G e o r g e
So did you install all of the hardware in the trunk?
p914
QUOTE(George H. @ Nov 14 2007, 01:42 PM) *

So did you install all of the hardware in the trunk?

The SDS box and controllers? Yes. Fit's fine and no problems with the roof fitting in also.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.