Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: muffler packing- what to use?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rfuerst911sc
I am going to be installing a custom made muffler on my /6 conversion. It is the type that just has baffles in it no sound absorbing material. I am buying it with the tailpipes not installed ( end cap exit ) so I can make the tailpipes line up the way I want. I know this muffler is going to be loud with headers so I'm wondering what packing material can be placed in the muffler "can" before I weld on the exhaust tips? And where do you buy this material?
Katmanken
Glasspacks use fiberglass in the tube, but it blows out.

I've heard of steel wool being used, but it had better be stainless as hot mufflers create condensation within. Once again a temporary (blows out) solution.

Real mufflers use baffles in appropriate places to 'tune" the muffler to have sound waves cancel other sound waves.

Ken
Air_Cooled_Nut
There's some kind of special wool used in good mufflers that can take the abuse and not severly degrade over time like steel wool. Sorry, I can't remember the specific name sad.gif
maf914
Is the muffler designed to use packing material? Usually the glass or steel wool is separated by perforated pipe or chambers to allow the wool to absorb noise while being held in place. I don't think you would want to put loose fill in baffled chambers, as it could clog up the system or just blow out.
E-Man
I have a Phase 9 muffler (www.quiethorsepower.com) that appears to have what looks like metal lathe shavings (very sharp/use gloves) held in place behind perforated sheetmetal. Don't know if the shavings are stainless. Mine's now aluminum-ceramic coated inside and out.

BTW you can get coarse ss wool at mcmastercarr.com

-Mike
sww914
I had some success using those stainless steel pot scrubber thingies that they use in restaurants. I got them at the restaurant supply for not too much money. I cut them apart a little with some sharp dykes to get them to fit and the held up at least until I got rid of that setup, several months.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.