Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Texas People Speak up
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Brett W
Going to Austin, need some restaurant recommendations. Something high class and some others that are just good casual resturants.
TheCabinetmaker
Contact Tony Chavez. He lives in Austin. His dad is a local chef.

Try g2ec@usa.net

Thats Tony's dad, Gene
jbyron
QUOTE(Brett W @ Nov 13 2007, 08:09 PM) *

Going to Austin, need some restaurant recommendations. Something high class and some others that are just good casual resturants.

Fine dining recommendations:

The Driskill Grill, 604 Brazos St., 512-391-7162
Eddie V's, 301 E. 5th St., 512-472-1860
Hudson's on the Bend, 3509 R.M. 620 N., 512-266-1369
Jeffrey's, 1204 West Lynn St., 512-477-5584

One place I insist on hitting whenever I'm in Austin: Rudy's BBQ. Fan-freakin'-tastic.
Brett W
Great keep them coming. Also looking for something in Houston.
stateofidleness
hit 6th street, always fun and entertainment and some great hole in the wall places to grab a quick bite (not really dining restaurants, but somethin to check out)

jaybird840
Get the real flavor of Austin....

1) Chuy's on Barton Springs--Tex Mex
2) Threadgills (South First at Riverside)--home cookin'
3) If you even remotely like barbecue, take the 45 minute drive to the Salt Lick in Driftwood, TX. It's worth every mile. (Iron Works barbecue is a good 2nd choice at 1st and Cesar Chavez)
4) Guero's Taco Bar in the 1200 Blk of South Congress.
5) Do breakfast at Kerbey Lane Cafe (3 locations in Austin) it is a local favorite.... try one of their gourmet pancake varietys
6) Want something specific? PM me and I'll hook you up. I eat out six days a week here 8^).

--Jaybird
purple
Kerbey lane cafe is a nice chain there, quite unique, compared to houston at least.

Houston is nice:

Fogo De Chao : south american gaucho (think tons and tons of meat) (westheimer)

sandy's produce market: healthy food (katy freeway)

bluefin: suhsi (westheimer)

perry's steakhouse: (katy freeway)
XrayMed
There is an AWESOME Bar-B-Que place called the SALTLICK, you have got to eat there, but bring cash thats all they take. The other place is the OASIS there food sucks but the view over lake travis is freakin awesome. You usually have a drink of tequila when the sunsets its fun. a must do! OH and don't forget the bats under the bridge.
jbyron
Yeah, I can vouch for Salt Lick, too. But it's way the heck out there. I didn't mention it, because getting there could be a bit of a challenge if you don't know your way around the Austin area.
XrayMed
QUOTE(jbyron @ Nov 14 2007, 02:08 PM) *

Yeah, I can vouch for Salt Lick, too. But it's way the heck out there. I didn't mention it, because getting there could be a bit of a challenge if you don't know your way around the Austin area.

Well, that use to be true about 10 years or so ago, but It has grown so much with the computer industry that its not really considered "out there" even though it is a drive from say 6th street or the Oasis. But out of all the places to eat. I would send everyone to the Salt Lick. It is traditional "TEXAS" bar b que and its all you can eat plus its BYOB. Bring your cooler with you choice of beer. mmmmm good. If your going when its cold then they will have the fireplace going and its just well you just gotta go....

Damn now I wanna go...LOL
jaybird840
Yep, Austin sure has grown. I'm within the city limits of Austin (barely), and only 10 minutes from the Salt Lick!!!
Brett W
Thanks guys. Keep em coming.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.