Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: plasma cutters Hypertherm Powermax 30
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dflesburg
Please give your opinions.... if you have one. ( a plasma cutter that is not an opinion, everyone has one of those.)
So.Cal.914
My opinion? Why, you should give it to me. smile.gif
John
I love plasma cutters. They make quick work out of cutting most any metal that I fabricate parts with.

My opinion on welders and plasma cutters are very similar. Buy a big name brand, and make sure you can get consumables for whatever you choose. (with a plasma cutter, there are the parts for the torch that do wear out like the shields, caps, and electrodes)

Buy the best you can afford. You get what you pay for with this type of equipment.

With that being said, what are the specs of the unit you are looking at? How thick can it cut. The nice small units can go 3/8". The cheap ones can't cut 1/4".

I prefer the "drag" type units. You don't have to keep the tip just off the cutting surface and can just drag it along. The non-contact units don't like being dragged.

Most smaller units don't really like cutting through paint. They will do it, but your cut won't be as nice.

I looked at some on E-Bay and the specs look ok to me.

Just make sure you can find consumables.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.