Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Where and when, or "the way we were", or....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
1970 Neun vierzehn
Those in the picture can comment, but since they were "there", they can't participate in the "when and where" answer, (unless there is proof of memory loss; are you paying attention, Pat Garvey?)

And to keep it within 914 World parameters, any photo that you choose to post should have a 914 somewhere in the pic. Also, there should be some kinda hint where the event might have taken place, a geographic landmark, skyline, historic venue, or perhaps just the scope of the picture might hint at where and when. A picture of a flock of 914s on some indescript parking lot isn't what we're looking for here, unless they're gridded with with some 917s and RSKs with the Chicago skyline off in the distance.

First pic....
davep
Looks like a photo from a PCA Parade. Must be a 912E in the middle there, all 4-bangers right?
1970 Neun vierzehn
QUOTE(davep @ Nov 15 2007, 02:46 PM) *

Looks like a photo from a PCA Parade. Must be a 912E in the middle there, all 4-bangers right?

The PCA Parade venue is correct. Now, where and when? Anyone?
Ferg
1978 Aspen Parade???
1970 Neun vierzehn
QUOTE(Ferg @ Nov 15 2007, 03:33 PM) *

1978 Aspen Parade???

clap56.gif Very good.....were u there?
Ferg
I was 3 laugh.gif

But I go to Aspen often. And from the look of the mid year 911 it looked real "new" and still at US ride height I took a guess.

I found one of my old pics. Not much to go on, but it was a big event, and a fun drive.

Ferg
1970 Neun vierzehn
From the '78 Parade @ Aspen, not necessarily 914 contented....
1970 Neun vierzehn
QUOTE(Ferg @ Nov 15 2007, 03:55 PM) *

I was 3 laugh.gif

But I go to Aspen often. And from the look of the mid year 911 it looked real "new" and still at US ride height I took a guess.

I found one of my old pics. Not much to go on, but it was a big event, and a fun drive.

Ferg

Laguna? The 914 in the mirror is a really cool touch in that photo.
Racer
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Nov 15 2007, 03:40 PM) *

QUOTE(Ferg @ Nov 15 2007, 03:33 PM) *

1978 Aspen Parade???

clap56.gif Very good.....were u there?

I was there... I was 7. Our family was PCA Family of the year in 1978. We were "competing" with my Dad's 914-6 -a car he bought new and still has! I think he finshed 2nd in class overall iirc.
Ferg

Yep, just about to drop into the cork screw. I was pretty much stopped waiting when I snapped that shot. It was a "parade" lap, but I could not resist to let JimTab (green car) and Dekman get way ahead so I could nail it.

Ferg driving.gif
Pat Garvey
I'll take the comment about my memory lapses in good stride, because it's all in good fun! And, because I'll get even!

Does this pic qualify? Am I allowed to play?

Hint: I can't find the event(s) results binder.
Pat (I think)
1970 Neun vierzehn
The venue doesn't look familier, the selection of 914s don't register in my memory, but since Pat Garvey is posting this, I'd venture to guess that this is the 1989 Great Lakes/Traverse City Parade.

Paul
1970 Neun vierzehn
QUOTE(Racer @ Nov 15 2007, 06:42 PM) *

I was there... I was 7. Our family was PCA Family of the year in 1978. We were "competing" with my Dad's 914-6 -a car he bought new and still has! I think he finshed 2nd in class overall iirc.

Outstanding clap56.gif
What did/does this /6 look like? If I have it in my photo archives, I'll post it here.

Paul
Racer
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Nov 15 2007, 08:07 PM) *

QUOTE(Racer @ Nov 15 2007, 06:42 PM) *

Outstanding clap56.gif
What did/does this /6 look like? If I have it in my photo archives, I'll post it here.

Paul

Looks the same as in 1970 wink.gif - Light Ivory over tan. Original matching 2.0L; 5.5x14 Fuchs; original radio, toolkit, footrest; about 60K miles. Original.. never restored but concours'd a bit in the late 1970s-early 1980s.. so, some door dings from his early years driving it to work in NYC.. Forget the Vin.. either number 182 or 172.. I wish I had some pics of it to share.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Nov 15 2007, 11:03 PM) *

The venue doesn't look familier, the selection of 914s don't register in my memory, but since Pat Garvey is posting this, I'd venture to guess that this is the 1989 Great Lakes/Traverse City Parade.

Paul

Correct! The ONLY time I ever trailered the 914. Lost first place to Cole Scrogham (ARRRGGGH!!) by .75 points. Wish I'd had his family's money to "create" something that was no more than hype. His car was nice, but it wasn't even halfway clean. He did lend me a much needed master cylinder, so I won't carp too much. Should have won that one! Don't mind being beaten fair & square, but this wasn't!

Great venue though. And the black cherries were in high season. Toured the upper penninsula wineries too - not bad wine & fun. It isn't Napa, but interesting & I'd do it again. Also saw the largest inland sand dune I've ever seen - must have been a hundred feet high! Yeah, Traverse City is a must-do for everyone.

Pat

BTW - was this an acceptable post for this thread?

Pat
1970 Neun vierzehn
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Nov 16 2007, 04:35 PM) *

Pat

Yes, that's the sort of picture we're looking for on this thread, the 914 "back in the day" kinda thing.

Here's another, but Pat can't play 'cause he's in the photo.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Nov 17 2007, 10:37 AM) *

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Nov 16 2007, 04:35 PM) *

Pat

Yes, that's the sort of picture we're looking for on this thread, the 914 "back in the day" kinda thing.

Here's another, but Pat can't play 'cause he's in the photo.

Pat WON'T play, because he looks to be brain dead in the photo! Thanks for perpetuating my loss of brain cells.

I may not be able to play, but I know that pic came from the 1979 Brataslava Yugo convention. My face was warped from the concours banquet, which included Russia's finiest Kerosene in the banquet box. Why do you think I have no memory? Or,...was I simply yakking on a bone - I forget.

But, you'll notice that I was surrounded by babes. Could it be because I can lick my eyebrows?

Pat
Pat Garvey
Here's another one from the topic starters original event (I think you'll figure it out from the pic).

Anyone recognize either of these 914's & know current status (almost 30 years later!)?

Pat
1970 Neun vierzehn
To help place the locale of the 914 group shown, I'll add a couple of photos showing what was going on in the background........
JeffBowlsby
QUOTE(Ferg @ Nov 15 2007, 03:55 PM) *

I was 3 laugh.gif

Ferg

WCC 2004...a fun ride, but way too short... biggrin.gif
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Nov 19 2007, 12:07 PM) *

To help place the locale of the 914 group shown, I'll add a couple of photos showing what was going on in the background........

Is it REALLY necessary to keep shwing that pic of me with my brain cells in my lap?
Pat
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Nov 19 2007, 11:07 AM) *

That was Parade in (I think) 86 at DFW airport. The building in the background is the Simuflite building where they do pilot training on the simulators. I applied for a job there at one time.

That was the first parade I ever saw. Betty and I were not entrants, but we were there walking around looking at the cars. The Concours was on the golf course, and I remember a White 914 won. It stuck with both of us because we remember the owner wiping out the INSIDE Of the tailpipe before the judging.

Am I right?????
1970 Neun vierzehn
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Dec 3 2007, 11:40 AM) *

That was Parade in (I think) 86 at DFW airport. The building in the background is the Simuflite building where they do pilot training on the simulators. I applied for a job there at one time.

That was the first parade I ever saw. Betty and I were not entrants, but we were there walking around looking at the cars. The Concours was on the golf course, and I remember a White 914 won. It stuck with both of us because we remember the owner wiping out the INSIDE Of the tailpipe before the judging.

Am I right?????

Clay,
As is typical, you are correct. The pics are from a PCA Parade. But no, the locale is wrong. And the year is not right either. huh.gif

Here was Parade HQs
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Dec 3 2007, 02:40 PM) *

QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Nov 19 2007, 11:07 AM) *

Am I right?????

I think you are thinking of the Reston Parade. A silver 914 won (Cole Scrogham) ...I won't go into that one!

We all wipe out the insides of our tailpipes! I prefer to use "special" ultra large Q-tips, like the proctologists use. They go really deep! Kinda makes your ass pucker when you use them.

Pat av-943.gif
mrgreenjeans
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Nov 16 2007, 09:35 PM) *

Paul

Correct! The ONLY time I ever trailered the 914. Lost first place to Cole Scrogham (ARRRGGGH!!) by .75 points. Wish I'd had his family's money to "create" something that was no more than hype. His car was nice, but it wasn't even halfway clean. He did lend me a much needed master cylinder, so I won't carp too much. Should have won that one! Don't mind being beaten fair & square, but this wasn't!

Great venue though. And the black cherries were in high season. Toured the upper penninsula wineries too - not bad wine & fun. It isn't Napa, but interesting & I'd do it again. Also saw the largest inland sand dune I've ever seen - must have been a hundred feet high! Yeah, Traverse City is a must-do for everyone.

Pat

Pat

Pat

We agree whole heartedly on the Parade in Traverse City......the cherries were fantastic, the drives around the Sleeping Bear dunes, unreal. And the level of Concour Cars , quite exceptional.

Pam and I were there for the event in our 84- 944 and participated and trophied in several events, including the Sand Castle Construction !
Our contingent made a 356 speedster with a lady driver in it......Nord Stern ruled !

Our best efforts were in the drivers events, where Pam placed very well in class.

I remember the Concour event and Cole and his car, as well as yours. We did not compete that year, and had not yet obtained our teener, that we use now for show.
We have also found several more 944's since then and have added them to the grouping.
One an early 83 with LSD and track suspension, also having the hard to find factory Sport Seats. It is nearly identical to our 84 Guards Red Sport equipped car, as ordered and delivered thru Weissach.
Wish our 914 had the heritage associated with it that the two rarer 944's have, but these guys are all too fun in their own way. And since they were produced with factory rust courtesy of Karmann, the good ones are even more precious to obtain and hold onto.
You should be very proud of your car...it has the heritage that only too few are able to claim.
Here's to a better Parade effort and win for you this year in 2008 in NC !!!

Don
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(mrgreenjeans @ Jan 13 2008, 10:24 PM) *

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Nov 16 2007, 09:35 PM) *

Paul

Pat

Pat

Pat

We agree whole heartedly on the Parade in Traverse City......the cherries were fantastic, the drives around the Sleeping Bear dunes, unreal. And the level of Concour Cars , quite exceptional.

Pam and I were there for the event in our 84- 944 and participated and trophied in several events, including the Sand Castle Construction !
Our contingent made a 356 speedster with a lady driver in it......Nord Stern ruled !

Our best efforts were in the drivers events, where Pam placed very well in class.

I remember the Concour event and Cole and his car, as well as yours. We did not compete that year, and had not yet obtained our teener, that we use now for show.
We have also found several more 944's since then and have added them to the grouping.
One an early 83 with LSD and track suspension, also having the hard to find factory Sport Seats. It is nearly identical to our 84 Guards Red Sport equipped car, as ordered and delivered thru Weissach.
Wish our 914 had the heritage associated with it that the two rarer 944's have, but these guys are all too fun in their own way. And since they were produced with factory rust courtesy of Karmann, the good ones are even more precious to obtain and hold onto.
You should be very proud of your car...it has the heritage that only too few are able to claim.
Here's to a better Parade effort and win for you this year in 2008 in NC !!!

Don

Don,

I REMEMBER that 356 sand castle vividly - have a pic of it somewhere too! Next to the Aspen (78) Parade, Traverse City was my favorite. I may have lost my class by .3 points in the concours, but I have to give Cole credit. The day before the concours, my master cylinder crapped out. While the wife took off looking brake fluid, and one of my friends was mopping up fluid before it could do too much damage, I was roaming from entrant to entrant, in hopes of finding a spare. Near the end of my seemingly worthless search, Cole popped up with a new 19mm unit! Told me good luck & to send him a replacement when I got a chance.

Yeah, he beat me fair & square the next day, by .3 points. If I had just not left the autocross tires on the car.........
Pat
mrgreenjeans

Pat, have you tried SunBugs in Dade City , Fl. on that part you need ? They have some 914 stuff down there as well as all the VW parts they are known for. Quite the field of dreams for Car enthusiasts.....they used to make fibreglass bodies there and sold them thru R and T, Car and Driver, etc.

We hope the effort to find an early rain tray pays off. Saw the wanted ad in Pano ---the one with the Parade Info for Charlotte. We are making plans to be there this year, but with one of the 44's. Hopefully the newest one we are in the process of building up to run in DE events.

But first, its off this Wed. to head south to the Rolex 24 in Daytona. We go each year , and have for the past 4 or 5, and will plan to do more in the future, as its the perfect time to get away from the frostier edges of Society. Not even Porsche spirit can keep a guy warm when its minus 20 in the morning.

Daytona to the rescue. We hope Porsche is victorious in their endeavors !
And we look forward to seeing you the end of June in the Southeast !
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(mrgreenjeans @ Jan 20 2008, 10:44 PM) *

Pat, have you tried SunBugs in Dade City , Fl. on that part you need ? They have some 914 stuff down there as well as all the VW parts they are known for. Quite the field of dreams for Car enthusiasts.....they used to make fibreglass bodies there and sold them thru R and T, Car and Driver, etc.

We hope the effort to find an early rain tray pays off. Saw the wanted ad in Pano ---the one with the Parade Info for Charlotte. We are making plans to be there this year, but with one of the 44's. Hopefully the newest one we are in the process of building up to run in DE events.

But first, its off this Wed. to head south to the Rolex 24 in Daytona. We go each year , and have for the past 4 or 5, and will plan to do more in the future, as its the perfect time to get away from the frostier edges of Society. Not even Porsche spirit can keep a guy warm when its minus 20 in the morning.

Whew! Man, that's a long trek for a race. Can't blame you for wanting to get away from the cold though. It's not minus 20 here, but in the upper teens. Cold enough that I can't get my ancient hands to work in the garage. But, we're planning on Charlotte & have a huga amount of work to do.
Pat
mrgreenjeans
smilie_pokal.gif
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jan 22 2008, 11:38 PM) *

QUOTE(mrgreenjeans @ Jan 20 2008, 10:44 PM) *

Whew! Man, that's a long trek for a race. Can't blame you for wanting to get away from the cold though. It's not minus 20 here, but in the upper teens. Cold enough that I can't get my ancient hands to work in the garage. But, we're planning on Charlotte & have a huga amount of work to do.
Pat

We are not driving down, but flying. Keep a car there , Boca Raton, an Audi Turbo, so fly into Fort Lauderdale, catch an airport taxi to get the Audi, then head north to Daytona. Will pick up a couple friends, as they are flying into Orlando, ----crazy ticket deals with the airlines----, then over to the track for 3 days. Its a GREAT time.

When the race is over, we are going to spend a couple weeks driving around the southeast, especially the Lighthouses, the Horse farms by Ocala, and the Gulf and Atlantic sides of the big Peninsula. Love to spend time watching the Manatee, and going out into the gulf on fishing boats. Maybe do a little snorkeling.

Have you ever taken in any of the sports car races there, or at Homestead , or Sebring ?

A couple of my heros are going to be doing their part for Porsche......Hurley Haywood. Derek Bell----he says its his last year.

And another favorite.....last years winner----Scott Pruett, this guy's unreal. Remember him from 2o years ago racing Mustangs, and Capris.....Merkur XR4-TI's in Trans Am Racing.

Lots of other greats, like Dario Franchitti, Indy winner last year, and Dan Wheldon, Helio Castroneves....more Indy Champs, will all be duking it out along with a large group of Nascar crossovers.

Penske and his magnificent entourage will be there too, fielding some cars that are partnered with Wayne Taylor. Pontiac R cars.......so , all in all it will be a really good show. Its televised on Speed on Sat. and Sunday- start and finish- so if you do not show up trackside, take a little time out from under that teener, where you could have a jackstand fall on you, and watch a little of the action.

I'll be the dufus waving at the camera, each time I see it swing my way,

So WAVE BACK !!!!!!!!!!! smilie_pokal.gif
1970 Neun vierzehn
Another pic from the archives....when, where, and which one is Pat Garvey?
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Feb 7 2008, 11:51 PM) *

Pat... Euro Lenses? alfred.gif

Eric,

Yeah, but that was a long time ago. I'm more of hardcore purist these days.

I don't even know where those things are anymore, but with the prices they go for on eBay I'm going to look for them. Some parts are not keepers for me.

Pat
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Feb 9 2008, 12:24 PM) *

Another pic from the archives....when, where, and which one is Pat Garvey?

I'm the one wearing shorts! av-943.gif
Ferg

Don't know when, but I'll take a guess at where.

The grounds at the Biltmore Estate??

Ferg beerchug.gif
1970 Neun vierzehn
QUOTE(Ferg @ Feb 9 2008, 03:02 PM) *

Don't know when, but I'll take a guess at where.

The grounds at the Biltmore Estate??

Ferg beerchug.gif

You're good at this! clap56.gif

Turning the camera in the other direction shows ......
Ferg
I went there as a kid... I can still picture the bowling lanes inside the house biggrin.gif

I love Ashville, when I moved out of MI ten years ago, it came down to a coin toss between Boulder and Ashville... Everything I owned fit into my 91 Astro, Boulder won. biggrin.gif

Ferg
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Feb 9 2008, 03:06 PM) *

I'm more of hardcore purist these days.

Really? blink.gif

Well, I'd like to think so. But I'm also getting a little tired of being one.

Think I may let my wings sprout a little this spring - just not too much. You can only take this purist thing for so long beforeyou become a "fogey".

So, I'll put proper contemporaray tires on my chromies, drive the bad boy & have some fun with it - after the brakes are done.
Pat
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.