Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: fuel filter question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
stateofidleness
guys, as i have the fuel tank out and being cleaned, im accumulating the "goods" to replace the fuel lines, hoses, and the fuel filter and have a couple of questions:

1. would this fuel filter be a good choice or is it not correct for my 76 2.0L (if it matters) http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsche-914...sspagenameZWDVW

2. if i get some stainless lines for the tunnel, are they both 5/16" ID or no?

3. would this kit be fine?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsche-914...sspagenameZWDVW

4. what else should get replaced/checked while its out?

as always, thanks in advance!
Dave_Darling
#1-- That does not look like the OEM filters I am familiar with. The 70-74 ones are square plastic boxes; not sure of the later ones. The media in the pic appears to be the same as that in the cheapie generic low-pressure carb type filters.

#2-- Not sure; I know the 70-74 ones have two different sizes but I'm not sure about the 75-76.

#3-- That kit will replace some of your fuel hose, but I don't think that will be enough to do all of it. The pic looks like it might have the right kind of hose clamps, and the injector seals are good to have...

#4-- Clean everything up. If you don't have a front sway bar, this is a good time to add one. Maybe lube the windshield wiper linkage?

--DD
bperry
QUOTE(stateofidleness @ Nov 16 2007, 09:56 PM) *

2. if i get some stainless lines for the tunnel, are they both 5/16" ID or no?

This was answered several times in your previous thread:
SS fuel lines specs, makin my own

You could always measure what is in the car as you pull the old ones out.
If you have the tank out its pretty easy to do and you can do it before
you pull the old lines.

--- bill
jk76.914
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Nov 17 2007, 12:19 AM) *

#1-- That does not look like the OEM filters I am familiar with. The 70-74 ones are square plastic boxes; not sure of the later ones. The media in the pic appears to be the same as that in the cheapie generic low-pressure carb type filters.

My '76 is also a square plastic box. The inlet and outlet are different sizes on the '76 though. I cut an old one apart once, and the media IS the same as the cheapie generic low-pressure carb type filters.

The outlet and inlet nipples on the tank are both 7mm on my '76. I'd recommend the upgraded 7 x 13 mm hoses everywhere, vs. the braided style. It's not cheap, but do it once and forget about it.

You don't say what year your's is?

Jim
stateofidleness
i noted that mine was a 76 in point 1.
and bperry i know i got an "answer" in the other thread, but i get conflicting answers as well. im just double checking and getting everything ready for reassembly.

from what i gather, on my '76, the tank in and out are 7mm, the tunnel lines are both 5/16"(is that the same as 7mm?) and the fuel filter on mine is a dark gray plastic square box too (are they the same mm on both sides?)

what does the 7x13mm hose look like? and is it available locally?
TheCabinetmaker
Call your local independent Porsche,or Audi, BMW, Mercedes repair shop. They should have everything you need for hoses and clamps. I get most all of my new parts from my local Pcar shop. My parts guy has been there for 38 years. He can find anything that is still available, and usually cheaper than the mail order places. I'd bet there is a similar guy in a similar shop in just about every city of 350,000 people.
jk76.914
QUOTE(stateofidleness @ Nov 17 2007, 04:45 PM) *

i noted that mine was a 76 in point 1.
and bperry i know i got an "answer" in the other thread, but i get conflicting answers as well. im just double checking and getting everything ready for reassembly.

from what i gather, on my '76, the tank in and out are 7mm, the tunnel lines are both 5/16"(is that the same as 7mm?) and the fuel filter on mine is a dark gray plastic square box too (are they the same mm on both sides?)

what does the 7x13mm hose look like? and is it available locally?

7x13 is black, smooth (not braided), kinda stiff rubber, with cords molded into it. 7x13 refers to the inside diamater- 7mm- and the outside diameter- 13mm. The original fuel hose had 12mm OD, and those clamps will not work well on the 7x13. Some use 7.5 x 13, and rely on the clamp to secure it. I got a piece of 7x13 at the Porsche dealer once, but I generally go internet order these days. I've gotten it from Bus-Boys.com (copied below)-
------------------------------------------------------------------
Hose - Fuel High Pressure
Genuine Continental 7mm High Pressure Fuel Hose with smooth covering, no outside braided cloth. Our opinion is that this a much better hose than the original braided hoses you find on the some of the FI Buses. Sold by the foot, not the meter like some other places. 12 to 15 feet usually does the engine compartment, supply lines and return lines, depending on the year.

N 20281.12 1974-1979 $4.10 per foot
(Note: We do carry the cloth braided variety for the fanatics - order N 20357.12 $2.00 per foot.)

Van-again also has it, with the clamps in a set at http://www.vanagain.com/search_result.asp?...llAction=Page+2

Divide mm by 25.4 to get inches. So 5/16" is very close to 8mm (7.93 actually).
7mm is .2755".

My '76 filter has a bigger nipple on the outlet, which goes to the pump. I don't remember the size off hand.

stateofidleness
wow Jim, GREAT information! thanks so much
that ebay kit i posted looks great compared to the van-again.com prices lol

only thing is it says 9mm so i will have to measure that again.. im pretty sure mine are both 7mm

ill have a look at bus-boys.com

im at work and blanking on the visual of the tank area.. im thinkin about 5ft of it should be able to do the whole thing:

tunnel line -> tank in
tunnel line -> tank out
fuel filter in -> ?
fuel filter out -> ? (forgot where they connect)

does that sound about right?
jk76.914
Maybe 6 or 7 feet is safer. You want a nice service loop to fish the filter out to change it from time to time.

I'm thinking the filter-to-pump hose may be 9mm, and it's the shortest of the bunch. It's not under much pressure, so I didn't worry about using the braided, thinner wall stuff here, but be sure to use new. It'll be there a long time, and you'll have to be able to change filters and still flex enough have it seal to the filter.

tank (nipple with the sock on it) to filter- 7mm x 24" long? Maybe even 30"?
filter-to-pump- 9mm (?) x a foot or so
pump-to-tunnel- 7mm x 30" maybe
tunnel-to-tank (nipple without the sock)- 7mm x 24"?

I cut the hose with my wife's pruning shears- the blade and anvil type. It gives a nice clean cut in one second.

Good luck-
Jim
Cap'n Krusty
The filter to pump hose is 12mm. The Cap'n
krazykonrad
Pelican Parts has a great fuel hose diagram.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/914/technical_...el_diagrams.htm

Not all the hoses in the system are the same size. In fact, the hose going from the plastic line to the filter is a different size than an other hose. mad.gif Ask me how I know.

Anyway, best of luck. Clamp EVERYTHING!

Konrad
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.