Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: More on shop heaters
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Joe Bob
Since I buy diesel in bulk for my F350....I decided to look for a diesel fired space heater for the workshop. WTF...only the Limey's are using them?
J P Stein
I have one. Doesn't give me a headache & punches out a fair amount of heat. Wanna pic?
Joe Bob
Yeah....where did ya get it?

Canada?
blink.gif
DuckRyder
got a 55,000 btu multi fuel from lowes.

It rocks, thing will heat a 2 car garge in no time and its great for installing cam gears too.
GWN7
I've got one in the garage....never use it. Propane fan powered one for startup and a wood stove for long term heat. Have a natural gas furnace that I'm putting in this summer. (for constant heat)

If your looking search for "oil burners"
Joe Bob
I did a Diesel Space Heater Google search and all the links were in the UK.....

Are they banned here? I know used oil heaters are.....

Oh and what is #1 fuel? The ones that use kerosene also use that......none seem to use Diesel #2......
J P Stein
It's made by Toyotomi......sounds 'merican, eh.
Model is Toyoset Omni 230.

Prolly heat up that little shop of your'n. I it use for a quick warm-up of my shop along with the pellet stove.
Joe Bob
Cool,,,,ever try to run it on Diesel instead of Kerosene?
J P Stein
Nopers, just Kerosene. Ain't much different than diesel, tho...."I think". confused24.gif

BTW, 23k BTUs.....first time I've read the directions blink.gif
GWN7
Those also say "don't use in enclosed spaces" They will burn up all the O2 in the air if your garage is air tight........

The used oil burner furnaces will burn diesel.....
Joe Bob
Yeah I know about the venting....open the bottom of the garage door, and usck in cold freah air, heat and CO goes out the top. But filling propane tanks is a pain......I have a 200 gallon diesel tank that I would like to use.....

Crap....looks like propane.....

Happy New Year BTW..... mueba.gif
GWN7
well I wonder what it would cost to ship the one I have in my garage to you......only thing I use it for is to hold my compressor up.........

It's about 4' tall and 2' X 2' wide

diesel is heating oil or can be used as heating oil ( I've used it)....
Joe Bob
Weigh it.....go to www.ups.com and use 93109 zip code.....

BTW....what is "#1 fuel"?

Google did not find anything.....
steve@ottosvenice.com
See page 476 in their Catolog http://www.westmarine.com/
Joe Bob
Thanks Steve....what up on that muffler we talked about?
DuckRyder
Check this out as well. Never ran it on diesel, but it says it will. Wonder how it would smell burning diesel?

They have larger and one smaller as well.

I've tryed a smilar btu double propane heater and this works lots better for about the same money.

http://www.lowes.com/lkn?action=productDet...000000234-R55BT

(it may make you enter a zipcode)

IPB Image
Joe Bob
I already have something like that powered by propane....damn thing puts out TOO much heat.
L8Apex
How safe are those when you use chemicals (brake cleaners) and welding near it. I have a fear of fire in the garage.
GWN7
I think #1 refers to the grade of fuel...sort of like winter grade, will flow in extreem cold temps.........

The units that I have used have a circular wick enclosed inside the heat exchanger. The "Carb" drips fuel at a constant rate on to the wick. Higher heat demand = more fuel dripped. The burnt fuel/ gases go up the chimney and the heat is radiated out from the heat exchanger. Some have fans that help move the heat off the unit.

Like any open flame type furnace, if the combustion level of whatever you are cleaning with reaches the lower explosion limit it will ignite. Too little PPM (Parts Per Million) no ignition, too many PPM no ignition either. The range between the two is called the explosion range or limit.

Any use of brake cleaner or any other solvent should be done in a open air enviroment so that you don't end up breathing the fumes.

Welding shouldn't be any problem. As the fuel is enclosed inside the heat exchanger. You would have to be welding inside it to ignite the diesel.

The best unit to put in is a forced air electric unit. Clean, safe. 220V power. But you can't write off the costs of the electricty against your taxes like the diesel can be. cool_shades.gif
Joe Bob
40 degrees is OK when you are cutting wood, exercising or such.....40 and under is freaking cold when wrenching and BSing in the garage......we also get freezes here....... bootyshake.gif
Jake Raby
My shop stays 70 degrees all winter long... In the winter I use a unit fro "Hired hand" thats made to keep Poultry houses warm. Its 225,000 BTU and thermostatically controlled and quiet. I have the system ducted into the shop and its just like a house!

It does not have a weird smell and runs off of propane. About 600 bucks.
Joe Bob
I broke down and got a dedicated propane tank for the forced air blaster I bought for the wet rugs after last winter's flood. Just fired it up tonight. Took almost three minutes to warm up the place. 38F outside temp and falling. Looks like a freeze is on for tonight.

Closed the grage after turning off the unit. With the R-13 insulation it's still warm after an hour.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.