Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Noisy valves?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Bogaat
I just adjusted my valves after breakin using the captains instructions. Only two had to be adjusted as they were tight. I haven't really listened to the engine idle too much and am paranoid that the valves are loose. When I put my head down low next to the engine, I hear the valves doing their thing. I am not too familair with the sounds these things are supposed to make as I am just getting this thing going. It sounds like there are a couple guys with small hammers down there making music. Sound right? If not, how long should I let these guys cool down before I check adjustment again? I typically wait overnight on my bug, but I would like to do this later today. 6 hours? Thanks guys beer3.gif
toon1
They are not supposed to be that loud. You should hear them tapping but not loudly.

Where any of the adjusters way out of whack ( did you have to back any way out to make them right)?

You mentioned they where tight, How tight?

That is a sign the engine got hot.
TheCabinetmaker
6 hours "should" be adequate. Exhaust leaks at the head can sound like loud tappets also. I like to retorque them after first run anyway whenever I have them off.
rjames
Exhaust leaks at the head can sound like loud tappets also.

I thought my engine was on it's way out because of how noisy it was. It turned out to be an exaust leak.
Check your exhaust stud nuts/bolts while your under there.
thomasotten
I just recently got my 2056 kit going, and that was the first thing I noticed, loud valve train. I have checked the valve adustment twice already.
Bogaat
QUOTE(rjames @ Nov 17 2007, 04:29 PM) *

Exhaust leaks at the head can sound like loud tappets also.

I thought my engine was on it's way out because of how noisy it was. It turned out to be an exaust leak.
Check your exhaust stud nuts/bolts while your under there.

That was it. Those things loosened up pretty good after the break in! Much better now biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.