Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 Side seals on targa bar $12
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Member Vendors
Mikey914
I've had allot of feedback on these, and have changed the concept slightly with these. This is more of a "repair kit". Most buyers have been taking the stock ends and gluing the old ends to the new seals. I'm also including 8 low profile screws to help with the installation. Any gaps that need to be filled can be caulked with polyurethane caulking.

And, of course you can cut and glue the ends if you want.
This comes with 8 low profile screws to help the installation.
You can still use these by cutting and filling if you do not have the ends. An excellent alternative to complete new seals, most of the time the ends are in the best shape.
jk76.914
I'm just getting my doors reassembled now, so this is fresh. I had to go with factory seals, because the after market seals were too stiff- they wouldn't compress enough, and so the glass was left stressed outward. There just wasn't enough adjustment to the glass to compensate.

The OEM style seal has a hole up through it that is close to the shape of the outside of the part's section, while my aftermarket ones just had a round hole. That plus maybe a harder durometer rubber in the repros did me in. I suspect that tooling an aftermarket seal more like the OEM would be a bit pricier, but maybe not that much. I think the flex is an important consideration.

Jim

Mikey914
Mine will have the hole running up the center, the end will be sealed and mitered so the corner where it cones together will keep out water. I have several choices as far as the hardness of the rubber. I'm thinking about keeping close to the factory part, maybe a little softer.
eric914
Keep me posted on both seals.
arvcube
i'd be in for a set.....i'd be for any seals that seal up the cabin from taking in any water =)
Jax914
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Nov 17 2007, 07:11 PM) *

By the way the seals I'm working on now and will have after Thanksgiving are the window sweeps. Both the one on the inside that clips to the door, and the one that slides into the aluminum channel on the outside of the door. I still need to test fit these when they come in and I will start selling these. Look for these at $24 for the set of 4 (both doors).

I would definitely be interested in the inside set that clips to the door.
Mikey914
So far I'm up to 10 sets, but there doesn't seem to be enough interest to start producing these at this time.

Thanks,
Mark
lotus_65
then i'll buy 2 sets... does that help at all?
arvcube
QUOTE(lotus_65 @ Dec 1 2007, 04:04 AM) *

l'll do two sets too if it helps...
want to get my car water-tight
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(arvcube @ Dec 1 2007, 01:03 PM) *

QUOTE(lotus_65 @ Dec 1 2007, 04:04 AM) *

l'll do two sets too if it helps...
want to get my car water-tight

av-943.gif You're funny.

I am in for two sets please.
geniusanthony
In as well, how many more takers do you need?
scottb
put me down for at least one set, maybe 2 if that is enough to get these produced.

thanks for the efforts!

scott
budman5201
Put me down for one set!!

QUOTE(scottb @ Dec 2 2007, 07:02 AM) *

put me down for at least one set, maybe 2 if that is enough to get these produced.

thanks for the efforts!

scott

Hammy
I'm interested in a set if they turn out decent... smile.gif
okieflyr
Count me in for a set...
Mikey914
Yes it does help. There may be enough interest to make this work. I will continue to proceed, it's the fabrication for the ends that I'm waiting on numbers for, I'm shooting for a seal as close to stock as possible, to reproduce the mitered end blocks is more expensive than just cutting, however I need the ends to hold out the water and make a nice seal. I'm proceeding on the drawings and will have more information in about 7-10 days.
Thanks for all your input.
tango-52
Sounds good. Count me in for two sets.
dbu356
Count me in for 2 sets....

Dave

and 2 sets of window sweeps also
TheCabinetmaker
I'm in for at least four sets.
woobn8r
I'll take a set....when you're ready
McMark
I'm confused as to this seal. You say four per car. I get the one on targa bar, the vertical one. Is the other one the top seal that mounts to the targa top?
Mikey914
QUOTE(McMark @ Dec 15 2007, 12:39 AM) *

I'm confused as to this seal. You say four per car. I get the one on targa bar, the vertical one. Is the other one the top seal that mounts to the targa top?

There are actually 2 on the body and 2 on the targa top. I was looking at reproducing the side ones on the body. The other 2 on the targa top are slightly different. I'll check on these tomorrow to see if the same die would work for both, but from my recollection they were different.

There may be some confusion on the window sweeps. I'm still waiting on the materials, and I have some test fitting I need to do on these. Probably 1st of the year.
PeeGreen 914
Still interested. Thanks for doing what you do.

Jon
Mikey914
still working on these, but with the Holidays things are on the back burner.
fishdoc
Does it take two targa sets to seal the car? If so, then I will take two otherwise, one. My other option is to keep as much water IN as I can so I won't see new leaks coming in.
Mikey914
There is a left and right, that meet the ones on the targa top. The ones at the top will keep the water from coming int the cabin when the window is rolled all the way up.
I'm still working on these, will cut the die when I get recovered from my Christmas spending. This is a slow time of year for railing.
Mikey914
Upadate - dies will be complete on the 28h, product will be available FEB 11th !!
I will be sending out requests for confirmation after I have article of first production.
VaccaRabite
I'm in for a set when you make these.

Zach
golfczar2
Great, I could use some for my 75. Keep me informed.

Golfczar2
CMONNETT
I'll take a set also. Let me know.

Chris
dflesburg
I could use two sets
Kansas 914
Hi Mark,

Sorry I am so late in this thread.

I will take a set if you have one left. As a matter of fact I will pretty much buy any seals you mkae - good stuff!

Let me know when to send you some money.

Thanks!

Mike in Kansas

Mikey914
Thanks guys. The die is still in production. This is a very complicated shape with the extra little lip. I should have the first article in about 18 days, and product will follow shortly. I'll post pictures when I get the first article.
Thanks to all

UPDATE-
Did a short run on the new die and tried fit. I will need to tweek the die a little more. The compression of the small fin was not quite correct. I need to cut the angle down about 15 degrees and relieve some of the inside of the internal cavity to make it more pliable.

Sorry to keep you waiting but estimate is about 14 days for re-tooling.

This is the most complex die I've done to date, and I want to have it dialed in 100%.

I could probably extrude the die I have but it pushed on the window too hard at the top that it was about 1/8" out . A minor detail, but not acceptable in my opinion.

I'll keep everyone posted.

Thanks for your patience

Brando
Put me down for a set of the targa top seals and the door squeegee seals smile.gif
dug
Count me in for 2 sets.

thanks,
dug
Mikey914
Should have sample back end of the week 3/7/08
okieflyr
Count me inline for a set of top seals.....
Mikey914
Didn't have a chance to pick these up today. I will have on Monday and posting pictures in the evening. YEAH FINALLY!!!!! drunk.gif beerchug.gif
914werke
icon_bump.gif
Gint
...nuther icon_bump.gif
Mikey914
Thanks guys, these will be in late this week, I'll be posting and packing to ship this upcoming weekend.
Mikey914
[size=3]Got the extrusion run done today. I will be setting up the jig to cut, and I have a guillotine cutter on order (this is required for the miter cut on the top). The ends will be filled with rubber so that the top ends are plugged. The materials I need for that should be ready Friday, and should be able to start shipping monday. I will be updating this as I get more progress.

The seal fits into the channel very nicely. It is tight. You will need soapy water to get it slid in from the top. I'm also working on locating low profile screws like the factory so that if you need them they will be available. The pan head screws take up too much room to let it slide in. You will need to make sure the channel isn't pinched by a previous owner using a screwdriver. You can bend back the channel using a large flat head screwdriver. The outer lip will cover some of the damage on the crome.

Thanks to all more pictures coming soon.
Mikey914
New price, extrusion only, you cut to fit.
Type 4 Unleashed
I'll take three sets, PM me with your address, to send payment, and total with shipping chargrs.
Type 4 Unleashed
Seals showed today thanks.

And you did receive payment ?
Mikey914
QUOTE(Type 4 Unleashed @ Apr 8 2008, 12:42 AM) *

Seals showed today thanks.

And you did receive payment ?

Payment showed up today also,
Thanks
Mikey914
I've had allot of feedback on these, and have changed the concept slightly with these. This is more of a "repair kit". Most buyers have been taking the stock ends and gluing the old ends to the new seals. I'm also including 8 low profile screws to help with the installation. Any gaps that need to be filled can be caulked with polyurethane caulking.

And, of course you can cut and glue the ends if you want.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.