Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WTB: Fiat
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
redshift
I am looking for a Fiat. I don't know what Fiat I am looking for, as I don't know anything about Fiats.

I am pretty sure the boxy black one will be just fine.

laugh.gif

M
SirAndy
QUOTE(redshift @ Dec 31 2003, 11:25 PM)
I am looking for a Fiat. I don't know what Fiat I am looking for, as I don't know anything about Fiats.

get a old 500 (the round one, not the square one) ...

they're sooooooo cool wub.gif

IPB Image

Andy
SirAndy
or this one wub.gif

IPB Image
redshift
Where you came from.

laugh.gif

Hold on.... I am feeling ya... I like that one..

M
ChrisReale
Fix It Again Tony?
redshift
If you could be so kind as to steal... err... iradia... no... uhmm.. irradica.. no..

Chris, if you kill someone with a good AAR, I am looking for one.

heh

M
smrz914
My friend has a 124 spyder that the is rebuilding the motor in. It's a fun car, drop top. There is also a fiat dino that has a the same motor as the ferrari but it's in the front. I worked on both of these cars. The vavle adjustment on the dinos suck. fyi
ChrisReale
I'll kill Brad and take one of his, but I wanna wait until all my stuff is done laugh.gif unsure.gif
Joe Bob
Do they come in a masculine version?
mueba.gif
thesey914
Nah you want one of those 914s like this laugh.gif
LS6/914
FIATs shed parts faster than teeners rust! Had a 124 that use to love to eat valves. Buddy had a X1-9 at the same time. Dont miss em. barf.gif
rick 918-S
What do you want one of those for? Do you need a planter for the front yard? confused24.gif
PatW
Why are you into self punishment?. Buy an Alpha instead, almost the same thing. Better parts and much more fun to drive. What was the name 70's roadster?. Spyder something? Last I looked there are not many 70's Fiats on the road these days.
Hi_Fi_Guy
I owned several FIAT 124 Sport Spiders in my youth and I can say that they are fun and enjoyable sportscars. A FIAT 1.6L or 1.8L properly set-up with dual carbs can be a very quick little car. The valve adjustment is nothing once you have a set of shims to work with. The mechanicals are robust and damn near unbreakable with regular service. The downside is the same as all european cars from that time... RUST!

Compared to many cars of the day the FIAT 124 Sport Spyder was way ahead of it's time. The car was introduced in 1966 with the following features.
- DOHC Motor that likes to rev.
- 4-Wheel Disc brakes with an automatic adjusting rear anti-lock proportioning system
- 5-Speed
- A real weathertight convertable drop-top. Undo two latches and toss over your shoulder... no erector set/pop-up tent contraption here.
- A fiberoptic system to illuminate many of the controls from a single bulb with dimmer.
- A real heater system that works
- Roomy and very comfortable interior compared to other roadsters from the 60's & 70s... much roomier than a Miata also.

The Abarth & C. racing division offered many go faster parts for these cars including cams, pistons, manifolds, carbs, etc. You could also order fully independent rear suspension, lightweight magnesium wheels, a fully trimmed fiberglass hardtop with glass rear window. The Abarth preppared cars were very successful in Rally.

These cars were sold in the US from 1966 to at least 1985 under the FIAT and Pininfarina names so there are lots of cars and tons of spares available from several mail order firms. Parts are MUCH cheaper than 914 parts.

Our 914s do handle better and do have the Porsche mystique and are so different from the FIAT Spyder there is little in the way of direct comparison. However when compared to similar roadsters like the MGB, Triumph Spitfire, or Datsun Roadster the FIAT really shines.

The demise of these cars was similar to that of the 914. Rust, mechanics who did not know how to properly service the cars (the 2.0L cars had Bosch L-Jet injection), and owners who simply did not service the cars. Like the 914, a FIAT that is properly maintained will offer a lifetime of near trouble free motoring fun.
Dave Avery
I have a funny story about my 81 Fiat Spyder 2000 I owned in the late 80's.

One day I noticed a large bubble, about 1" long, on one of the fender arches. I got close to it with my face to study it, then pressed it with my thumb to see how solid it was. It squirted rusty water right in my eye!

Moral of the story, don't pop your pimples wink.gif
redshift
I think it would be easier to find a Fiat, than a workable 2.0L AAR.

smile.gif

I KNOW it would be.

M
airsix
Don't be offended... I just can't help it.

Comments made, and my response:

"I'm looking for a Fiat. I don't know anything about Fiats." Response: Well, that's obvious! (Kidding! Kidding!)

"My friend has a Fiat and he's rebuilding the motor".
Response: Well of course he is.

"Fiat was ahead of its time." Response: That's right. They beat all the other cars to the junk yard.

Fiat lovers need not be offended. I'm just giving you a hard time.

-Ben M.
mike_the_man
Fiat, eh? Failure In Automotive Technology. Don't know much else about them.
tod914
Fiat Dino. Has the same motor as the Ferrari 206 (precusor to the 246). Think it is tuned down by 20 hp. Still around 160 though. Cool looking car too. Came in a coupe and a conver. Has a live rear axle, only draw back.
Curvie Roadlover
QUOTE(mike_the_man @ Jan 2 2004, 12:17 PM)
Fiat, eh? Failure In Automotive Technology. Don't know much else about them.

FIAT > Feeble Italian Attempt at Transportation.
airsix
QUOTE(tod914 @ Jan 2 2004, 12:30 PM)
Fiat Dino. Has the same motor as the Ferrari 206 (precusor to the 246). Think it is tuned down by 20 hp. Still around 160 though. Cool looking car too. Came in a coupe and a conver. Has a live rear axle, only draw back.

They did share the same motor, but if memory serves correctly it was a Fiat motor, not a Ferarri motor.

-Ben M.
tod914
here's a link for Dino.
http://www.ritzsite.net/Fiat_Dino/01_Fiat_Dino.htm
rick 918-S
QUOTE(redshift @ Jan 2 2004, 08:46 AM)
I think it would be easier to find a Fiat, than a workable 2.0L AAR.

smile.gif

I KNOW it would be.

M

So I think I get it! You really want a working 2.0L AAR Right! I know there was something up! I can see we need to read between the lines with you! lol2.gif lol2.gif
redshift
Oh, I see... it's easier understood if you just say it?

pissoff.gif

beer3.gif

M
wink.gif
fiid
QUOTE(airsix @ Jan 2 2004, 12:57 PM)
QUOTE(tod914 @ Jan 2 2004, 12:30 PM)
Fiat Dino.  Has the same motor as the Ferrari 206 (precusor to the 246).  Think it is tuned down by 20 hp.  Still around 160 though.  Cool looking car too.  Came in a coupe and a conver.  Has a live rear axle, only draw back.

They did share the same motor, but if memory serves correctly it was a Fiat motor, not a Ferarri motor.

-Ben M.

Does that mean the Ferrari is a "NARF" ??
redshift
Actually Fiid, yep! That's why 246s are cheap.. smile.gif

M
tod914
Actually Fiid, yep! That's why 246s are cheap

They start around 80K and go up. Kind of expensive if you ask me.
redshift
No, they start way less than $80k... that is a damned! nice one.

Not bad for a Ferrari badge, and a vintage exotic, and much better looking than the alternatives, and you can drive it.

It's a very teener mobile.

M
tod914
I have yet to see one advertised for less than $80K
redshift
Look harder? smile.gif

http://www.europeancollectables.com/ec_reb...dinventory.aspx

First google, I see them around the low $40s range for a *driven* car.

I remember when you'd have had a hard time getting $20k for one.. laugh.gif

M
jonwatts
I'm trying to get rid of a fuel injected Fiat 2.0 from an '80 124 Spyder (includes a 5-speed tranny). I had someone lined up but they have since fallen to middle earth (perhaps even lower-middle earth). Anyone want it or know of someone who might?

muchos gracias
seanery
awesome 246 Dino on Victory By Design right now! wub.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.