Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Crash!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pnambic
For those of you out there don't know me, let me catch you up.

Bought my first teener back in early '03. It was DEFFINITELY a fixer-upper, but I got it for $250. No engine, no tranny, but good glass, decent chrome, only one minor ding above the driver's side rear wheel. My father in law used to love fixing up old american cars ('68 Studebaker, a couple Avanti's and a gorgeous '64 Corvette among others) and we were going to make it a fun project, perhaps changing it over to electric power (my father-in-law is an Electrical Engineer afterall).

Unfortunately, I bought it before I stumbled across this site and discovered after the fact that the passenger floorboard was swiss cheese and the passenger side long was toast.

Well, we found another project car locally that was in much better shape. Also not running, but at least it came with one complete and installed engine and two other cores and boxes of other stuff (including a pair of weber 40 idf's).

Alas, family growth and income shrinkage forced me to put the car on the back-burner for quite some time. From time to time, I would put a little into it, spent part of a bonus on buying a known good running engine from Doug Leggins when he was rebuilding that museum piece of his a couple years ago. Installed it all by myself using the Pelican instructions and knowledge accrued from helping Seanery and Doug drop theirs. Overall, beginning to take pride in what I was learning and able to do. (I'm a business analyst by profession, a numbers cruncher, a db freak, not a real mechanic... smile.gif )

Well, last year, I lost my job and then got it back and then out of the blue got a new job opportunity half the country away in Atlanta making 50% more than I was before (all while my wife was pregnant with baby #3...). Took the job, things are going well (except we're still stuck paying two mortgages a year later. If anyone knows anyone looking for a home in Noblesville, IN, I'm a motivated seller!!!).

Bought a new Optima for it last month. Fixed an exhaust leak a week and a half ago. Got the car running well enough that I thought I might be able to drive it to work, so last week, I drove the teener and parked it somewhere other than my garage for the first time ever. What a feeling! After all this time, I was finally a real living breathing 914 DRIVER, not just an owner, or a wannabe, but a DRIVER!!!

And then tonight, the wife orders pizza and asks me to go pick it up. I live inside the loop of one of America's largest metropolitan cities, in a decent neighborhood, and only one joint will deliver and they seem to always have trouble finding the place, so I usually just go pick it up. I was just finishing up using some PlastX on the rear lenses and adjusting the clutch cable a little and decided it would be nice to take the teener, so off I went.

Picked up the pizza, just left the PizzaHut parking area, but still in a larger parking lot area and this guy comes flying down the wrong way through a bank parking lot and nails me on the rear passenger wheel. I was in the primary traffic lane and didn't see him because of the parked cars until he was screeching his tires trying to stop. I gunned it, but he spun me around and I ended up half way in the bank's lawn.

I TOLD my wife that if I had a 2.0 or maybe one of Jake's masterpieces instead of this little 1.7, I might have made it OK.... rolleyes.gif

Well...after 4 and a half years....I got a good 3 or 4 days out of it....

I had to take off the rear bumper, but at least I was able to drive it home. Though I'm afraid that there might be some damage to the exhaust....I could hear the exhaust leak return...and the tailpipe was almost knocked off the muffler.

Anyone have recommendations for Atlanta area repair shops?

I'll be OK I think....probably be sore in the morning. But the police officer warned me that there may be trouble with the other guy's insurance. Lovely.

Its a toy though and can be fixed. I'm glad I chose not to bring my 5 year old with me. I was really close to doing so.

Click to view attachment
woobn8r
man, that SUX...Glad you're okay though.
SGB
There are several Atlanta area places for good service. If this fellas insurance will cover it, I would propose that George at AA can make sure you get everything you are entitled to. Maybe the exhaust leak can be attributed to the accident and pay for head repair- like a new helicoiled stud. Louis Broyles Racing ( a true gentleman and mechanic but not a repair shop) is over there in north Atlanta- like Woodstock maybe- might could help you find qualified help. I think he has a membership here...
Chuck
I just can't imagine waiting that long to actually drive your car and then have that happen. Excuse me I'm going to barf.gif

At least you are ok. The car, as you say, can be fixed.
markb
headbang.gif
orthobiz
Back in the 80's I spent my vacation putting in sway bars, new shocks, blahblahblah. Took it out for one day and totalled it on the second day. I've been there!

Paul
rick 918-S
Man dude, that sux!
hwgunner
QUOTE(markb @ Nov 17 2007, 06:07 PM) *

headbang.gif

DITTO
nsr-jamie
Sorry to hear about that, at least you and your Family are okay, the car can always be repaired later. Best of luck to you guys.
Spoke
Dammit!! All the fucking cars in this country to hit and this dude has to whack your 914. Hope you're ok. How's your neck?

You didn't mention if the police found him at fault and his insurance will pay.

Now this is just my opinion, if his insurance pays, take the cash, get some hammers and dollies, and have at it yourself. Save the insurance money to pay for some paint, maybe new parts, then use the rest to get that screaming Raby powerplant you spoke of.

When my red car got whacked, I got a BFH and some smaller hammers and pounded the shit out of that car. I used the insurance money to buy a nice 74 2.0, 5-lug suspension, new tires for both cars, 5-lug Fuch-repros, A/C for the 74, chrome bumpers, and another engine for the red car.

Good luck and glad you're ok.

Spoke

BEFORE:

Click to view attachment

AFTER:

Click to view attachment

My resurrected soldier spawns another vehicle - paid by insurance money!!

Click to view attachment
SLITS
It almost looks like a pretty easy repair as the hit looks really low. Trunk lid still fits.

I put a '74 together and on the first drive there was a broken water main on a blind freeway curve. Backed into a freeway concrete wall at 60 .... Highway Patrol asked me what I hit ... showed him .... he said, "Good you didn't damage anything so you don't owe the State any money." Wasn't funny and the water got shut off real quick.
Eric Taylor
" Well...after 4 and a half years....I got a good 3 or 4 days out of it...."

That part just killed me. I feel the pain. It can be fixed. We have the technology.
SirAndy
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Nov 17 2007, 06:16 PM) *

Man dude, that sux!

agree.gif

mad.gif Andy

PS: glad you're OK!
blitZ
That sucks. I hope you get your car back together, there are quite a few owners in the area and we get together occasionally. Hope to meet you at the next one.

Welcome to Atlanta. rolleyes.gif
Pnambic
QUOTE(Spoke @ Nov 18 2007, 07:10 AM) *

You didn't mention if the police found him at fault and his insurance will pay.

Well, since it happened in a parking lot, there's no ticket, or so the officer told me. But he did document everything in the report, so that will hopefully be taken into account when determining who owes who. The other guy completely admitted fault from the get go, even with the police officer. Hope his insurance is paid up though...I was told there was a "problem" with the other guy's insurance by the police officer.

QUOTE(SLITS @ Nov 18 2007, 10:47 AM) *

It almost looks like a pretty easy repair as the hit looks really low. Trunk lid still fits.

I think you're absolutely right. There might be a small crease in the very back of the trunk under the passenger tail light. It was getting dark out when it happened last night and I haven't felt much like going out and taking a closer look today. My main concern is whether or not the wheel got hit hard enough to cause damage to the tranny or anything else or if the exhaust took a hit.

QUOTE(blitZ @ Nov 18 2007, 05:11 PM) *

That sucks. I hope you get your car back together, there are quite a few owners in the area and we get together occasionally. Hope to meet you at the next one.

Welcome to Atlanta. rolleyes.gif

Looking forward to it!
Thanks Les

Pat Garvey
Facts are facts - YOU cannot be replaced (yet). A 914 can still be replaced. I know it really sucks, but your family can see you every day & I seriously doubt they care that much about the 914.

Sorry to hear about it, but happy that you are among the living.
Pat
euro911
QUOTE(SLITS @ Nov 18 2007, 07:47 AM) *
It almost looks like a pretty easy repair as the hit looks really low. Trunk lid still fits ...
That SUCKS big time, Dan, and you're fortunate the idiot didn't injure YOU. Like Ron said ... the damage really doesn't look too bad from the pic you posted, but I understand there may be hidden damages.

Grab that fairly recent issue of Excellence magazine that charted the escalating values of 914s before the insurance company tries to low-ball you. Less chance of them trying to total it.

QUOTE(SLITS @ Nov 18 2007, 07:47 AM) *
... I put a '74 together and on the first drive there was a broken water main on a blind freeway curve. Backed into a freeway concrete wall at 60 .... Highway Patrol asked me what I hit ... showed him .... he said, "Good you didn't damage anything so you don't owe the State any money." Wasn't funny and the water got shut off real quick.
Interesting response from the CHP guy, Ron ... it was some governmental/municipalities' fault (probably poor maintenance) that caused the accident you were in. The GPH rate was probably much more than a torrential downpour would have ever produced, and not anticipated on a dry day. A good lawyer would have eaten them for breakfast. I hope you got some $ from the water district (or whoever) to repair your car unsure.gif
Pnambic
What month has the 914 pricing?
Is it still available in book stores?
If not, would anyone mind renting me theirs?
I'll pay shipping.
jonferns
pm sent regarding excellence article.
euro911
Apparently its still the current issue (November '07)

From their site:

MARKET UPDATE

Excellence publishes the latest pricing estimates for all used Porsches. To find information on the model you are interested in, please refer to the list below and purchase the most recent issue.

February
911 (1989-98)

April
924/944/968

May
911 (1965-73)

June

August
911 (1974-89)

September
996 & Boxster

October
911 Turbo & 912

November
914 & 914-6

December
jonferns
hey dan, did you get the email? -JON biggrin.gif
Pnambic
QUOTE(sendjonathanmail @ Nov 21 2007, 04:47 PM) *

hey dan, did you get the email? -JON biggrin.gif

Got it. Thanks!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.