Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mallory Dizzy
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
KaptKaos
My friend Stevo has lent me his Mallory dizzy for my new (to me) motor.

I have it in hand and would like to install it tomorrow. It is supposedly already setup for our little cars. I plan to set it at 12 degrees at idle and 28 at 3500 rpm.

The question I have is about the wiring. The dizzy has three wires coming out of it; red, green and brown. The all have spade connectors on the ends.

I want to be sure that I plug them into the right places. I checked the mallory site, and it wasn't clear to me. Does anyone know for sure where I should be connecting these three wires?

TIA
ConeDodger
QUOTE(KaptKaos @ Nov 17 2007, 10:10 PM) *

My friend Stevo has lent me his Mallory dizzy for my new (to me) motor.

I have it in hand and would like to install it tomorrow. It is supposedly already setup for our little cars. I plan to set it at 12 degrees at idle and 28 at 3500 rpm.

The question I have is about the wiring. The dizzy has three wires coming out of it; red, green and brown. The all have spade connectors on the ends.

I want to be sure that I plug them into the right places. I checked the mallory site, and it wasn't clear to me. Does anyone know for sure where I should be connecting these three wires?

TIA

I think one goes to the negative on the coil the other to the positive and the third is grounded to the engine. I will check my engine in the morning unless you are in a really big hurry tonight???
KaptKaos
Thanks Rob. Tomorrow AM is good for me.

I assume the same things as you, however, I don't want to wire it incorrectly.

Also, I read on the Mallory site, that I should disconnect my battery before wiring this up. Does that sound correct?

Let me know.

Thanks.
ConeDodger
Joe,
What the heck. The lights were on in the garage anyway so I went down and shut them down.
The instructions show several configurations but they all basically amount to Brown to ground, Red to positive coil, Green to negative coil...
Get me a fax number and I can fax the instructions to you if you want.
Rob
Twystd1
12/28 works good.

If'n ya wanna goof around with it once you have the carbs dialed in.

Try 14 or 15 initial and 30 or 32 degrees full advance. Some engine combos like more advance in the both the initial and full settings.

Just depends on the combo.

12/28 is safe. You can't go wrong.

Richard and I were just talking about this the other day.
He runs 14-15+ initial and 32+ on his big Type IV engines. IIRC
I run 14 / 32 on my little 2.5 TypeIV using a tweaked 050 Bosch dizzy with pertronix.

Again. If you listen to the engine. It will tell you what it likes.

Clayton
Joe Ricard
Lets keep this simple OK?
http://static.summitracing.com/global/imag...unilitedist.pdf
jaybird840
STOP!!!! Before you do anything else, read my install posts from two months ago. I LOVE this dizzy and it runs perfect, but I smoked a $100 unilite module (as have MANY others). Make DAMN sure that everything on the positive side of the coil is positive, and not pulling big current. DPO had wired the fuel pump off the positive side of the coil in my car. If you make sure that all the hot things are on one side of the coil, all the ground things are on the other side of the coil, you should be fine. Hope that helps.... just trying to save another board member the misery of smoking a $100 bill in an instant.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.