Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New front GT grill
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
PRS914-6
When I built my car I made a grill from a generic grill from a wrecked car. I didn't even know what it was from. It was a lot of work to make, turned out good but once painted and installed it really didn't match the front too good being honey-comb. It bugged the hell out of me....

Soooo.....I noticed a 911 rear grill was almost exactly the same grill pattern as the fog lights. With a little hacking and sanding it's installed and actually much easier to make since it didn't need an outer frame.

The "arc" didn't quite match the car (too flat). I heated the grill in an oven at 300 degrees for 15 minutes. I pulled it out, set the needed arc and stuck it under cold water to set it. It turned out pretty good and at least to me, matches the front better.

Before and after....
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
race914

That really looks good. Cool how you formed the right arc!
Eric_Shea
Looks nice Paul. Did you mount it to the body or the back of the bumper/spoiler?
jonferns
looks great. Love the way it matches the fog light grills... -JON
euro911
... very cool. Nice job thumb3d.gif
davep
Isn't it amazing what great donors the 911 series makes.
MrKona
The grill looks great. I also like that small lift you've got. How's that working out for you?
burton73
It looks great on your car with the polished black front end.

Bob
PRS914-6
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Nov 18 2007, 08:49 AM) *

Looks nice Paul. Did you mount it to the body or the back of the bumper/spoiler?

Eric, First I screwed a 5/8" wide sheet-metal strap from the bumper to the valance going vertical right behind the vertical solid pieces on the grill. On the Getty pieces there is a small lip that is perfect for this. The pieces are actually mounted to the BACK of the bumper/valance with the screws going through the Getty lip. This way you don't have to custom cut the length of the straps. The vertical solid section on the grill hide the straps hehind.

I used some spacers made out of plastic between the sheetmetal straps and the grill.

The lift works great. Wish I bought the larger one....

Crude drawing, but you'lle get the picture....
Click to view attachment
SirAndy
QUOTE(PRS914-6 @ Nov 18 2007, 08:12 AM) *

Soooo.....

thumb3d.gif

but, your windshield wipers are on the wrong side ...
shades.gif Andy
PRS914-6
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Nov 18 2007, 01:48 PM) *

but, your windshield wipers are on the wrong side ...

They are on the correct side......let my wife look through them happy11.gif hide.gif
Eric_Shea
They look like they're on the proper side to me... biggrin.gif

porschecb
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Nov 18 2007, 03:32 PM) *

They look like they're on the proper side to me... biggrin.gif

Mine are in the trunk! Where they belong! Dont take much to put them on! Cant stand looking at them! happy11.gif
euro911
... could be indicative of a European model. Run your #'s to see what market your car was built for unsure.gif
Eric_Shea
I worked too hard to get them there. It would have been easier to buy a Euro car. biggrin.gif
Lou W
Very nice job on the grill. Now, if we could get you to take it apart again so you can post some pictures. biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.