Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Idle problem - any ideas?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914zim
Hey Guys:

Happy New Year!!
I finally got some time tonight to work on the 914.
Someone suggested I post a .wav file to better describe what my car is doing, so here it is (2 mins.). I hope this works!
I'm hoping that you guys have heard this before on your cars and can point me in the right direction becuase I'm at a total loss right now.
You'll hear my car start right up and run (It's very loud because the muffler is off).
It'll "jump" at first, but it'll stop when I put my finger over the hole that is below the throttle opening, towards the back. This hole has a thick hose connected to it whose other end connects to the AAR. With this hole plugged, it's stops jumping for about 30 seconds, but idles high (about 2K). After 30 seconds (probably warmed up) it starts to jump again, with my finger still plugging the hole. When I remove my finger, it continues jumping, but gets much louder and jumps even more.
Any ideas?

Thanks a lot!
Andy...

P.S. I'm trying to get some free webspace to upload th 2.75MB file to... I'll repost when I get it. I was hoping maybe by my description maybe someone had an idea.
3d914
Andy,

This hole you're talking about "that is below the throttle opening" - is it ON the throttle body itself, or below ON the plenum (black air box below the throttle body)?

Just trying to clarify.
914zim
it's below, on the plenum, not on the throttle body itself.
Thanks for asking!
Andy...
3d914
Andy,

There are actually three holes at that location on the plenum. The large hole for the Cold-start injector, and the two mounting screw holes. Holding your finger over the large hole will still leave the other two open - causing a vacuum leak and higher idle.

I'm assuming (based on your description) that you have the cold-start valve and plastic hose bib removed from the plenum.

To test with the cold-start valve removed, I made a small aluminum plate the same size as the plastic hose bib - with the same mounting holes. I could then use the little gasket underneath it and close this off completely - with no vacuum leaks.

Keep us posted.
Brad Roberts
It sounds like he is missing the cold start injecter ?? WTF ??

Here is what we are talking about...

B
Brad Roberts
Here is the other side... of course.. I dont know whether he has a 2.0 or 1.8.. but I'll assume its a 2.0.

B
JeffBowlsby
Brad, seeing the clear shots of the air plenum got me to thinking we should have a thread or a place under 914 Info which shows various parts, just like in this thread, so that posters can use them as aids in posting questions and answers, and for research before doing a project...Long sentence eh?... laugh.gif

How can we create this visual 914 parts library so things are organized and easy to access/retrieve?

Maybe one of the admins can be a hawk for pics already posted and just create the library as we go along...from today forward...
Brad Roberts
I have all the parts shot already for 2.0. What I dont have is 1.7 and 1.8 ..LOL

I understand what you are saying, but not quite sure how to approach it.

I find it very very difficult to answer questions when:

A. The person really doesnt know what he/she is talking about
B. They dont know the proper nomenclature
C. They dont have a digital pic showing what they have

Which is why I take the time to dig the pic up and post it... so the person can say YES.. right there!!

Luckily I'm semi organized on the computers and not in real life. I can find the pics quickly.

B
914zim
"Yes... right there, that's it!"
You're right B, I don't know what I'm talking about!!
Thanks for posting the pic (I really like Bowlsby's idea, btw).
OK, I do still have the cold start injector installed (sorry guys).
The hole I was referring to (not the best way to describe it) was the part of the cold start injector that the hose connects to. The other end of this hose goes to the AAR. I do have a 2.0.
Any thoughts?
Thanks guys!
Andy...
Brad Roberts
In my pic the AAR is connected correctly. Is yours ?

I still dont understand what part you where putting your finger over.

If you are on line... stay on this thread.. dont wander to other threads. I can walk you thru this..but you have to stay on with me.

B
914zim
Brad:
Yes it is (was) connected correctly.
I removed the hose from the Cold Start Injector (other end to AAR) and put my finger over the part (hole)that the hose was connected to. Sorry I couldn't stay online too long last night.
Thanks!
Andy...
914zim
Anyone know where I can upload the wav file of my car's idle?
I'm hoping it'll help describe my 914's idle issue better.
Thanks,
Andy...
redshift
How big is the file?

If it's an Mp3 you could mail it to me, and I can host it.. if you can't convert it, and it's not tremendous, I could convert prolly..

What size?

hendrix[-REMOVE-]@gregwilliams.com

hehe brackets.. jees.. prolly easy just typing it..

Miles
914zim
It's a 2.75MB .wav file.
Thanks!
Andy...
redshift
Did ya send it?

M
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.