Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ditributor Choice-
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914ghost
I'm sure this has been covered enough, BUT
My Car is: 1.8 liter / Carb'd etc etc...
I've been running a VW (OLD) 010 distributor, these are popular w/ the vintage speed VW/Porsche crowd, and I've found the curve to work great w/ a VW, how 'bout a 914? Any Opinions?
Lots of people like the 050, what are the figures compared to 009?
I also have 009 I may try (parts are cheaper), but that gets mixed reviews.

*listening*
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(914ghost @ Jan 1 2004, 11:13 AM)
I've been running a VW (OLD) 010 distributor, these are popular w/ the vintage speed VW/Porsche crowd, and I've found the curve to work great w/ a VW, how 'bout a 914? Any Opinions?

the generic Bosch '009' sucks unless you are operating a stationary industrial power application for which they were designed. (even so, the early ones were of much better quality than what's available now ...)

the only big issue with a 356 distributor is that #3 will probably be a few degrees retarded from the others, a la T-I VW, and for the same cooling fan issues. T-IV engines with the coaxial cooling fan don't need that. it won't hurt you much but it's bound to have some effect on smoothness and you may be leaving a fraction of a HP on the table.

the 050 is a good match but i've heard parts are getting hard to find again.
914ghost
Okay-
Turns out I have an 050 dizzy.
I took it out last summer after I bought the car (the distributor was pretty dirty) and thought it was some crappy bazillian 009. I never even cleaned it I just stuck in my nice 010 (in the pic).
Had a cylinder not doing its share and tracked it to the points.
Swapped the 010 dizzy yesterday for my very nice 009.
YOU'RE right, they suck. I mean it's great for my truck, but are VW guys running these in drag engines?!
The 010 is MUCH better, and I didnt notice a difference when I swapped it w/ the 050, so they must be comperable.
Anyhow, # on it is: 9 230 081050 its made in some place called BRASILEIRA. . .
Is there a german and Brazil 050? Is the German one better?
The points are easy, where do I get a Cap & Rotor? The 010 cap/rotor fits, but aint right.

TIA

R O
Brad Roberts
Damn this guy is on fire.. clap56.gif

Try Zims autotechnique in Beford Texas for the cap/rotor.

Ask for Kurt and tell him Brad sent you.

1-800-356-2964

Cool to see you farting around with the car.

B
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.