Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help! Trying to figure out what ecu i need
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Beamer13
Here is a pic of my ECU from my car. '74 2.0 none of the ones I am seeing looks even remotely close to this??? As you can see, it is almost square and thin, shaped almost like a radio??
Click to view attachment

Cap'n Krusty
It's an L-jet ECU. 74 only, 1.8 only. I may have one, but it may take a few days to locate it. I may also have the harness, and maybe even the double relay. The Cap'n
Beamer13
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Nov 19 2007, 04:19 PM) *

It's an L-jet ECU. 74 only, 1.8 only. I may have one, but it may take a few days to locate it. I may also have the harness, and maybe even the double relay. The Cap'n

Awesome!!! I was actually told that this was a 2.0 ??? How can I tell that?? You'll have to forgive me as I am a complete Porsche and 914 novice biggrin.gif
SLITS
The aluminum mount tabs and rubber/plastic covering.
Beamer13
So I am to assume that the plastic cover must've melted off?? There is no plastic anything on this with the exception of the plug that went into it? Is there some sort of number somewhere to verify or perhaps some other telltale sign that this is not a 2.0 as I was told it was??
TheCabinetmaker
1.7,1.8=4 intake studs and plugs on top of head
2.0=3 intake studs and plugs on side of head
There is also an engine code stamped on top of the case.
Cap'n Krusty
It could still be a 2 litre engine from a bus. First, find the engine number on top of the case. Second, look at the attaching bolts at the end of the intake runners. 1.7/1.8/2.0 Bus use 4 bolts, 2.0 914s use 3, and the spark plug holes are on either side of the manifold flange. Yours are on the top, so it's one of the former, not the latter. You've been misled. The Cap'n.
orthobiz
1.8 v. 2.0:

If the end of the tubular spout on the air cleaner is parallel to the back margin of the rear trunk when you are looking in the engine compartment, you have a 2.0.

If it diverges (points slightly toward the passenger seat), you have a 1.8.

While you don't show a lot of the air cleaner in your pic, it looks to be a 1.8. Plus the air cleaner is a bit more to the driver's side in the 1.8, more central in the 2.0.

Paul
Beamer13
Here's a couple more pics. I hate it when I don't know what I have blink.gif
Click to view attachment
Beamer13
Click to view attachment
TheCabinetmaker
like the C'apn said, 1.8!!!!!!
type47
looks like a 1.8 L-jet. the air cleaner on a 2.0 D-jet covers more of the top of the motor with a big air cleaner; an L-jet covers more of the drivers side/half of the motor
SLITS
Oil Filler is 1.8 L-Jet / Plenum is L-Jet / Air Flow Sensor is L-Jet

ECU .... 11/73 - 07/75 .... 1.8L ... Bosch 0 280 000 103 or if rebuilt CU66X

ECU .... 08/72 - 12/75 .... 2.0L ... Bosch 0 280 000 043 or CU14X
08/74 - up ... Service Replacement ... Bosch 0 280 000 052 or CU16X
Beamer13
Ok, so which side of the engine do I find the engine number???
Beamer13
You are all awesome!!! Thank you for your help. Cap'n, I'll get that engine number for you, if I can find it. I will bring my laptop with me so that I can stay connected to try and get some answers.
Thanks Again!!!
SLITS
The number should begin with EC or AN if it is a 914 case ...

Will be found stamped into passenger side angled flat rib near transmission (rear of case) on top of case .... passenger side.
Beamer13
Alright, here it is! It is a Porsche engine whew!!!! aktion035.gif The number is as follows: EC007174, so it is a 1.8... I just talked to the PO and he was just as surprised as i was!!
bmtrnavsky
QUOTE(Beamer13 @ Nov 19 2007, 06:04 PM) *

Alright, here it is! It is a Porsche engine whew!!!! aktion035.gif The number is as follows: EC007174, so it is a 1.8... I just talked to the PO and he was just as surprised as i was!!

Could be a 1.8 with a big bore kit...
Beamer13
This is true, guess I'll find out when I get the engine out and start replacin stuff. Right now I'm just happy to know what I'm dealing with, and what I'm looking for biggrin.gif I like the car for what it is, and just want to know that I'll be able to take it on the road come Spring :-)
GaroldShaffer
I have a complete spare 1.8 engine my garage. I beleive my engine for the race car is 1.8 with a big bore kit. Anyway if you need any FI parts, CPU, harness, ... let me know. I was going to post then egine for sale here, but since I have the race car now, you got to have spares. biggrin.gif
type47
QUOTE(SLITS @ Nov 19 2007, 02:31 PM) *

The aluminum mount tabs and rubber/plastic covering.

here is a pic from an ebay ad (no affiliation to ebay seller) of the ECU and the black plastic cover. the ECU mounts to the battery tray and to the engine shelf
Beamer13
QUOTE(Garold Shaffer @ Nov 20 2007, 05:55 AM) *

I have a complete spare 1.8 engine my garage. I beleive my engine for the race car is 1.8 with a big bore kit. Anyway if you need any FI parts, CPU, harness, ... let me know. I was going to post then egine for sale here, but since I have the race car now, you got to have spares. biggrin.gif

Actually, I do need the CPU and the harness for the 1.8. Is the one you have the L-Jet?? How was your trip back this weekend?? It was really nice meeting you!! I can't wait to get this baby done!!!! rolleyes.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.