Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 911 front hubs, 2 different thicknesses
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
hwgunner
Here is a pic of the 2 hubs. is the thinner one from an early car. Anyone know the years for the 2 of these??
Jeff Hail
QUOTE(hwgunner @ Nov 19 2007, 09:27 PM) *

Here is a pic of the 2 hubs. is the thinner one from an early car. Anyone know the years for the 2 of these??

One on the left is most likely 911-341-065-06-M100 , fits 74-89 non turbo cars.
Right is probably 901-341-065-04 for 70-73. May go back earlier 70 is the earliest my parts book goes back.
914Sixer
The hub on the right is from an early non vented car 65-68. The thickness changed when they went to vented rotors to support the weight. 69-73 hubs were the same. I believe in 74 the hub stayed the same but the wheel bearings changed size because a thicker spindle on the strut.
Eric_Shea
The hub on the right is from an early non vented car 65-68. The thickness changed when they went to vented rotors to support the weight. 69-73 hubs were the same. I believe in 74 the hub stayed the same but the wheel bearings changed size because a thicker spindle on the strut.

More than likely the other way around.

The thickness didn't change because of the weight, it changed to allow the new vented rotor to move "outward" and center in the caliper groove. It got thinner. So, the caliper received 7mm spacers, they spaced the caliper nose out by 7mm. The hub would then be thinner (rotor mounts to the backside of the hub) by 3.5-4mm to split the difference in the 7mm spacer. The thinner one on the right should be the later hub.

Spindles on 911's were always the same in those years.

Part numbers should tell the complete story.
911quest
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Nov 20 2007, 08:22 AM) *

More than likely the other way around.

The thickness didn't change because of the weight, it changed to allow the new vented rotor to move "outward" and center in the caliper groove. It got thinner. So, the caliper received 7mm spacers, they spaced the caliper nose out by 7mm. The hub would then be thinner (rotor mounts to the backside of the hub) by 3.5-4mm to split the difference in the 7mm spacer. The thinner one on the right should be the later hub.

Spindles on 911's were always the same in those years.

Part numbers should tell the complete story.

It's also so the wheel won't rub on the caliper.....
hwgunner
OK, I hate cleanning but did it anyway to get the part numbers. Here is what i found. the skinny one on the right is part number 901.341.605.2R and the fat one on the left is part number 901.341.605.3R. Now the question is does anyone have a book that will tell which years these are?? i have double checked the numbers and they are correct. I have searched all throug the PET program I have and can not find the answer. 356 maybe???????? drunk.gif
Eric_Shea
I can't help with a PET at this time but... I realized my analysis would be more accurate if they were turned upside down from the way they are in the picture. The main issue is the rotor position.

When turned upside down, the later hubs should have a rotor mounting surface that is 4mm higher (off the table) that the early one.
hwgunner
If I turn them upside down from the way they are in the picture i will get bearing grease all over my work bench ani hate to clean. drunk.gif

QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Nov 21 2007, 09:22 AM) *

I can't help with a PET at this time but... I realized my analysis would be more accurate if they were turned upside down from the way they are in the picture. The main issue is the rotor position.

When turned upside down, the later hubs should have a rotor mounting surface that is 4mm higher (off the table) that the early one.

hwgunner
OK, here is a pic, same right and left just turned over. I figured that i could put a piece os paper on the work bench to keep the grease off. beerchug.gif
914Sixer
I will it admit to being ass backward from time to time.
914Sixer
914 Parts book(1985) shows 901.341.065.04 as the 914-6 hub
hwgunner
901.341.065.03 is a late 356 front hub. I can not find any refence to the 901.341.605....... at all. I even checked my numbers and i am not dislexic. I can tell you that there was a vented and cross drilled rotor bolted to the thicker one and a vented rotor bolted to the thinner one. Some PO must have really been thinkin'
Eric_Shea
OK, here is a pic, same right and left just turned over.

The hub on the left seems to be the later hub. The right hub is probably for a solid rotor 911. The 901 part of the number is the 911 part number. I'm sure you all know the story about Peugeot and the x0x zero in the middle issue... The 341 means it's a front end part. If the 065 comes in as a 356 piece, it would be for the last year and they began using the 911 parts on them to make them 5-lug disc brake cars. This will be your solid rotor hub.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.