Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: rim size to fit five lug conversion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jeeperjohn56
Hey everyone, I need help with what wheel size I can put on a stock fender car after putting the five lug from 84 911sc carrera on the front and the five lug hubs from Eric in the back. I bought some nice fuchs from a 944, but I think they are going to be to wide for fenders. the guy told me they were 7 inch, but turned out to be 7&8inch after cleaning them and looking at the numbers. Also do I have to stay with 15x6's? or can I go 16x6's or what? might have to sell the new wheels. All input appreciated. John driving.gif
sww914
7's will fit, 15" or 16". I don't think that 8's will fit. They wouldn't on my car without stretching the fenders out or flaring it.
Twystd1
I might buy your 8s or swap you for what you need.

I have a flared car and need a pair of 8s for the front.

Clayton in SoCal.......
woobn8r
A 205 tire is about as wide as you can go to fit a stock bodied car. The maximum width wheel that will safely fit a 205 tire is 7.5".

A 205 will also go on a rim that is 5.5" wide and the optimum wheel width is 6 to 6.5 depending on your tire choice.

therefore either 6" or 7" rims are a good choice to fit the maximum width tire you can fit. (I think 7" look better).

As for diameter...well you can use 14" to 18" provided you can find the proper sized tire (with the correct height sidewall).
Gary
914's are a little strange. 205's on 7's will fit up front, but not out back unless you fold the fender lip and possibly massage the fenders. 205's on 6's all around is generally safe, although some massaging out back seems to still be occasionally needed depending on who was on the line at Karmann.

I ran 205's on 6's all around on a completely stock body, then 205's on 6's out front and 7's in the rear with the requisite massaging. I'm now running 205s and 225s on 7's and 8's, with a stock body up front and SC flares out back.
Eric_Shea
Best to stay with 6" rims all the way around on a stock bodied car. You can easily use 6x16".

7" rims will/may require pulling the fenders in the rear.
205's will/may require pulling the fenders in the rear.

All 914's are different. I had 205's on my 914-6 and only the passengers side rubbed. That was with 6" rims. Simply tugging on fender wells by hand can net a 1/2 to 1" change. The front is never the problem.

One of my favorite combos, yet not good for the speedo, is 195/50x15's on 6" rims.
Jax914
What about the offsets? -especially for the back?

15x7 is fine.... ET23, 52?
Eric_Shea
Anyone here have a set of deep 7's?

They're only about $3000 a pair. biggrin.gif
jeeperjohn56
QUOTE(Twystd1 @ Nov 20 2007, 12:06 AM) *

I might buy your 8s or swap you for what you need.

I have a flared car and need a pair of 8s for the front.

Clayton in SoCal.......
Hey Clayton, Are you still interested in some 15x8's for your fronts? I have 15x7 and 15x8 fuchs off a 944, I'll tade for some 15x6's if you have some.Here are some pic's, they are in good shape with some light curb rash but are straight no bends and I have two dark caps with them, I need the other light one's. John
let me know if the picture's showed I'm new at this
Allan
There's no way in hell that I could fit 7 inch rims in the rear of my car, and I have the fenders rolled. confused24.gif
burton73
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Nov 20 2007, 08:32 AM) *

Anyone here have a set of deep 7's?

They're only about $3000 a pair. biggrin.gif

There is a par on ebay in Germany up to $1,025. with 7 days to go. Fuchs 7R wheels offset 49mm Original! 911 R/RS, 914 6
Item number: 290184421053

Bob
burton73
My 914-6 was running 7” x 15 “ three piece BBS wheels on a stock body with the rear lip flattened. Magnesium and aluminum. Super light wheels. I have 5 of them hanging around.

Bob
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.