Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Who makes those air jacks for race cars?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nine14cats
Another crazy question from yours truly...... wink.gif

I like the idea of putting those air/hydraulic jacks on the four corners of the car and plugging in the air line (or is it hydraulic pump?) and having the car lift entirely off the ground. My car is probably ~2000lbs now and I don't want to use the hand jack anymore. I can carry auxilliary equipment in my trailer (21' enclosed).

Who makes this stuff? How much $? How heavy? Are they safe?

Hmmm....just wonderin.... rolleyes.gif

Bill P.
Brad Roberts
I *think* if you check the rules.. they are not allowed in PCA TT or autoX.

They are pretty heavy. All the Carrera cup cars and GT3 (R/RS/RSR) come stock with them.

Plus you have to carry nitrogen bottles and the wand setup.. plumb it all...

I'll get you a name of the place that sell all the equipment.. you check the rules real quick.

B
Brad Roberts
Oh.. and they only use 3. Two in the rear and one in the front.

B
nine14cats
B,

I'm checking the rules online right now....I am moving the car to "Y" which is unlimited mods to aircooled cars up to 2750 cc's....don't know yet if that includes airjacks...

Bill P.
Brad Roberts
This one of the more popular places that sell complete kits:

http://www.lister.co.uk/motorsport2.htm

I'll have more in a minute. Been awhile since I looked into it. It does make life MUCH easier.

B
Brad Roberts
Here is what happens when you convert a car to air jacks:

Nitrogen bottles
Purge equipment so you can purge "air" from your tires to run nitrogen in the tires (nitrogen only expands 1-2 pounds over the starting pressure.. from cold to hot)
All your air tools will need bigger fittings to run the nitrogen.

This is more of a tongue and cheek list.. but I know how it all plays out.. been there... done...th...

B
Brad Roberts
On the air jacks.. see how we use wooden blocks under it to get it higher ??

B
Brad Roberts
Here is where they mount in the GT3RS cars and all the Cup cars.

B
nine14cats
Checked the PCA rules and for "Y" there is nothing that says I can't do it....which means there's a hidden gotcha there somewhere....I just fired off an e-mail to the competition director to ask the question....I'll look at the links...thanks....

Bill P.
nine14cats
Lister doesn't mention prices...how much? Hope it isn't one of those "if you have to ask" laugh.gif

Bill P.
TimT
Hoerr racing sells a set up about $2000
Truechoice sells them also "call for pricing"

The Truechoice ones are AP dunno who makes Hoerrs
nine14cats
Thanks Tim,

$2K huh?.....hmmmm......I was hoping for about half that.....I never thought being a lazy SOB would be so expensive laugh.gif

Is there a used market for these things? Probably not.....

Bill P.
Brad Roberts
Damn.. TimT on the stick. 2k is exactly what I was going to say.

B
Brad Roberts
The last thing you want is USED air jacks. The 2k probably doesnt include the wand or safety stands that you put under the car when it is in the air for longer than a pitstop.

B
Brad Roberts
For 2k.. I'll jack the car up for you at every event...LOL

You need a crew. Welcome to racing.

B
L8Apex
AP Racing makes air jacks. Why would airjacks be illegal for a TT? That's a weird rule. You are not racing an enduro, and all it probably does is add weight anyways.
TimT
The Hoerr racing kit includes the wand, 4 jacks , and universal mount plates, no safety stands.

I just happened to be browsing Hoerrs catalog, Im putting together another ERP type 935 front end for a friend using off the shelf stuff from Coleman and Hoerr. save a coupla hundred bucks this way beerchug.gif
Brad Roberts
Same reason air jacks are illegal in SCCA (I dont know why)... I just recall some rule against them. confused24.gif

B
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.