Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: '72 fuel pump relocation
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
slim72914
Any specific place I should put the pump when relocating to the front of the car?? Does it need to be mounted below the tank or can it be mounted on the wall in the luggage compartment?? Any other suggestions?
nola914
If you are still fuel injected and using a rotary vane pump, ABSOLUTELY below the tank.

The rotaries can push like sob's but can't pull. Hence cannot pull fuel upwards from the tank, and you'll constantly be losing prime...and your patience.

There is space in front of the firewall, below the tank, next to the master cylinder to mount it. Take off the skid plate and look up in that area.

Don't know nutin bout them car-borated cars....Someone else will have to chime in.
toon1
You can pull the tank and mount it in the tank bay area, it's a good area. Do a search there is ton's of info.

Keith
slim72914
The car is fuel injected but it wont be a stock pump it will be an MSD pump.

so you can put it under the skid plate? Anyone have any pics of this installed??
toon1
There are some pics, if you search you shoukld find them.

Is it the ~$95 MSD pump?

If so it's it's a good pump but noisy. Make sure you use isolator mounts and wrap the pump with somethng to deadn the sound.

Also, you may nee to put a capacitor between the - and + pump terminals, the RF noise it generates may interfere with the raido.

Ask me how I know biggrin.gif
Dominic
Here is a picture of my relocated pump. This is not a stock pump but I was able to mount it under the skid plate.
slim72914
QUOTE(toon1 @ Nov 21 2007, 01:20 PM) *

There are some pics, if you search you shoukld find them.

Is it the ~$95 MSD pump?

If so it's it's a good pump but noisy. Make sure you use isolator mounts and wrap the pump with somethng to deadn the sound.

Also, you may nee to put a capacitor between the - and + pump terminals, the RF noise it generates may interfere with the raido.

Ask me how I know biggrin.gif

Yep this is the pump I have. Ive used the same one before on a chevy TPI project so I know its loud. Never noticed any radio interfearence on that application
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.