Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Trunk Pivot ripped off
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
913B
Hi all. I plan on removing the trunk torsion bars permanently. The trunk hindge pivot has ripped from the body. I understand there is replacement trunk hindge that can be welded back in. Unfortornately I dont know how to weld or know any body shop. How hard is it to grind and weld that sucker in with the engine still in the car. Does anybody now of a place willing to take this small job in the 90501 area code.

The other option is to replace the aftermarket trunk pivot replacment that does not require welding, a bolt on replacement. Some comments from anyone that have done this ??

Please help my 914 truck

Thanks all
Ted
Joe Owensby
I have seen posts for this item, saying it worked well, no welding. Joe O.

http://www.jwesteng.com/porsche/914/
toon1
BTDT, I got a hinge from another car and welded onto mine. you can get anothe hinge , take it to a weld shop

Or bring the car over to my house, with a new hinge and I can fix it for ya.

Your avatar say's your in the south bay, IF that's the south bay area, I'm not that far
roadster fan
I was gonna volunteer to weld in the replacement also, but it looks like 90501 is Torrance, CA.

There has got to be a ton of 914 guys with a welder down in that area.

Jim
rjames
The other option is to replace the aftermarket trunk pivot replacment that does not require welding, a bolt on replacement. Some comments from anyone that have done this ??

I installed this mod before I learned how to weld. It's an excellent fix, and a lot stronger than those wimpy pivots could ever hope to be.
913B
QUOTE(rjames @ Nov 21 2007, 05:50 PM) *

I installed this mod before I learned how to weld. It's an excellent fix, and a lot stronger than those wimpy pivots could ever hope to be.

How do-able is the mod with the engine still installed. I was going to do a big Derk Wright (whatever his name is) and drop the engine to this mod and bunch of other over due stuff (valve adj, repl the fuel lines, repl the heat exchangers and muffler ?? But I am afraid it will go on and on. blink.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(rjames @ Nov 21 2007, 05:50 PM) *

Pictures??? I would love to see this installed.
kconway
Think this mod thru...I'm in the same boat. Both my hinge points were broken so I figured I'd pull the engine, clean the engine bay and then send it to a body shop to reweld hinges along with marker light holes and repaint. I'm finding it hard to find anyone that will reweld new hinge points, especially since the car is no longer drivable w/o an engine. confused24.gif Seems locating the replacement metal gets tricky after you grind off the old.

By the way, if you find someone capable in the area, please let me know.

Kev
roadster fan
Rob,

Somewhere on this board there are photos of this product installed, I can't find the pics. You basically grind off the old mounts, drill holes, and mount the new.

I guess the tricky part is locating the new mounts.

Jim

Click to view attachment
woobn8r
I suppose you could weld the kit in also if you didn't like the look of the bolts...
Brando
Porsche sells the replacement metal piece for the trunk hinge console. Very inexpensive too. You can weld it with the engine still in the car. Just remember to disconnect your battery cables. I've done a few, it's easy.
rjames
The Jwest mod went in without having to remove the engine. It's pretty easy once if you figure out how it the parts go in. Probably took me all of 20 minutes to get it installed with a buddy helping me left the trunk lid.

I'll try and take a photo later today...
koozy
I need to do this too. I have the replacement metal hinge bracket but just need someone to weld it in. If you find someone, let me know. I'm in the south bay. Santa Clara, 95051. (not Santa Clarita)
roadster fan
Koozy, if you wanna bring your ride to Aptos, I can weld her up for ya. Send me a pm and we can arrange a day.

Jim
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.