Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shipping suggestions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Snafu
Can anyone give me an apporimate cost to ship a set of 70-71 seats and back pad? I bought some but the quote I got from the seller was waaaay more than I expected.

914Sixer
I sent two 911 sport seats to NJ. Shipping was $150. The box shipping was only $90 but the @#%$ oversize charge was another $60. If they can not throw it across the room it costs out the ass.
gopack
I shipped my seats to be recovered as well as my back pad a few years ago. they fit in a small wardrobe box form Uhaul, AND they are just under the oversize limit for UPS orFedX (I forget). the seats can be "spooned" in the box, withthe 3 parts of the back pad nestled in between them. IIRC it was in the $20 range because they aren't that heavy! (box cost almost as much (again IIRC)).
jasons
QUOTE(gopack @ Nov 21 2007, 01:06 PM) *

I shipped my seats to be recovered as well as my back pad a few years ago. they fit in a small wardrobe box form Uhaul, AND they are just under the oversize limit for UPS orFedX (I forget). the seats can be "spooned" in the box, withthe 3 parts of the back pad nestled in between them. IIRC it was in the $20 range because they aren't that heavy! (box cost almost as much (again IIRC)).

I got seats from Renegade Hybrids and this is exactly how they shipped them(UPS). But it wasn't that cheap because the size of the box put it in an oversize 1 or 2 category. I want to say 2 seats were $45 and that was one state away.
gopack
It was a long time ago, but I may have cut the box down a few inches. if the seats JUST fit iit is just under the max dimentions.

Actualy looked it up:
ups shorty wardrobe box
The oversized limit for boxes is a toatl height + 2*width + 2* depth of over 165.
the shorty wardrobe box is 34X24X20. this is 34+24+24+20+20= a total of 122 inches. the seats BARELY fit in this box.

did a quick UPS ground calc, using 40 lbs (guess) from Madison, WI to San Diego , CA and got jsut over $40 with no insurance. nice thick heavy 3 layer box as well!
GWN7
Greyhound.............I think it was $60 to ship seats & backpad from Ohio to ND
computers4kids
QUOTE(Snafu @ Nov 21 2007, 11:47 AM) *

Can anyone give me an apporimate cost to ship a set of 70-71 seats and back pad? I bought some but the quote I got from the seller was waaaay more than I expected.

I have purchased two sets of seats in the last 3 months. One set was shipped via UPS ground and other FedEx...shippping costs were between 65-$80.

If you get a box that is 20 X 20 X 48 tall, you can place one seat sitting on the bottom, then the other upside down on top of it. Backpad will separate and slip in the box as well. Remove the plastic knobs and bubble wrap/brace the seat loops...they tend to snap off real easy.

FexEx is always my first choice...even though they do get some bad press.

No matter what...INSURE them!!!!
Snafu
I like the shorty box suggestion. The driver's seat and the passenger inserts might fit. The hard part is finding a box for the back pad.

The seller is quoting me $300.00 + to ship from PA to TX

Greyhound.............I think it was $60 to ship seats & backpad from Ohio to ND

Were the boxed?

gopack
QUOTE(Snafu @ Nov 21 2007, 03:16 PM) *

I like the shorty box suggestion. The driver's seat and the passenger inserts might fit. The hard part is finding a box for the back pad.

The seller is quoting me $300.00 + to ship from PA to TX

Were the boxed?

you can fit the 3 parts of the back pad in the same box as the seats!
GWN7
Yes, two big boxes.....seats in one, backpad in the other
BIGKAT_83
Got 2 seats shipped from the San Francisco to Atlanta,Ga for $56.41 . The backpad would have fit in the box if it was taken apart. Two 914 seats will fit in a cut down wardrobe box from U-Haul. Box cost less than $5

$300 seem like its way too high. He must be taking them to a shipping company like Mail boxes etc. If they do the packing they RAPE you.
GaroldShaffer
Guys, he bought a 70-71 set of seats AND backpad. The backpad for a 70-71 if I remember correctly doesn't break down in three sections, only two. Hence the extra wide box needed to ship it.

I know I sent a sent seats & backpad to Bruce via greyhound and it wasn't all that expensive, $40 if I remember correctly.
Snafu
$300 seem like its way too high. He must be taking them to a shipping company like Mail boxes etc.

He did take them there. A UPS store IIRC.

I know I sent a sent seats & backpad to Bruce via greyhound and it wasn't all that expensive, $40 if I remember correctly.

I'd like to find a box. I did ask him about Greyhound but he hasn't responded yet. headbang.gif
rhodyguy
see if the seller will check local bicyle shops for boxes. you may need 2 for the length. open one end on each box and slide them together. i think you're going to be stuck oversize on this one. keep excess length and width to a minimum.
boxstr
The backpad will separate by unscrewing the screws so that you are left with the two side pieces and the center section.
I shipped one from Oregon to Fla. $45. USPS.
CCL
Dr. Roger
I'm with Bruce on this one. Greyhound. If you've never tried them before, maybe it's a good time to give them a try. UPS and FedEx will gouge you on "over size" charges... BTDT
shelby/914
I just used bike boxes to ship a fender and a door. Worked great and they were free. Cost was $25-30 ea DHL with the glass and winder removed from the door. i would think a backpad fit easily. Golf club boxees an small wardrobes work great for "spooned"seats and door panels. It was a couple years ago but shipping wasn't much.
Dr Evil
Is this the same set you were asking me to pickup? If So I have time to get them and am willing to drive to the GH station or what ever. Let me know and I will try to get them Mon or Tues.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.