Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Before the Rose Bowl, I stripped Blondie.....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Joe Bob
updates as they come up.

IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image
Brad Roberts
Nice tub.

Glad to see you figured out how to create one LARGE image and post it.

B
Joe Bob
Not hard.....

The tub seems to be VERY low miles that just sat out in the weather. Gonna do the Saturn Yellow original color from 73. Fill in the side markers, lose the vinyl on the sail panels and top, fill the dealer imposed antenna hole and windshield squirter holes.....goona leave the front fenders seperators as they ALWAYS crack no matter HOW they are filled or welded.

As soon as SOMEONE sends me some adjustable perches and springs finger.gif the ass will come down and the alignment shop will give me some negative caster while bring the front end down to match. Have to do some notching up front for the Carrera struts to get rid of the + caster.......
Brad Roberts
finger.gif That would be NEGATIVE camber DUMASS...LOL

Caster only effects turn in.

B
Joe Bob
Fat fingers.....where are my perches weasel dick......
Brad Roberts
Everyone (accept me and you) took two weeks OFF. Nobody could get me pricing or parts until Monday.

Sucky.. but what can I do confused24.gif I'm sure GPR has them on the shelf..LOL

B
Joe Bob
HE bailed too.....
seanery
how come dave's not a member?
should we invite him?
LS6/914
RS/SS languishing in the background?
Joe Bob
Yeah that's the paint shop owners kid's SS.....67 I think. Has more rust than Blondie does.....four on the floor and a big block. The owner also has a white 51 vette with red leather interior.
seanery
61 vette?
51 would be rarer than rare!
Brad Roberts
I have spoken to Dave. He knows we exist and offered to hold an event at his place. I plan to inlude him in the WCC.. if we can get it off the ground.

b
Eddie Williams
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Jan 1 2004, 09:28 PM)
I have spoken to Dave. He knows we exist and offered to hold an event at his place. I plan to inlude him in the WCC.. if we can get it off the ground.

b

A club discount would rule. Whats the prevailing attitude on their upper strut mounts?
redshift
My brother has a 67 Camaro with 560+ wheel hp, with Tri-power.

Ouch.

M
Brad Roberts
I personally dont like their upper strut mounts.. but it is because I use the real deal. Smart Camber has a screw in one that is 100% heim joint. My dislike is simple: why install plastic when a bearing assembly will work better ??

B
Eddie Williams
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Jan 2 2004, 01:16 AM)
I personally dont like their upper strut mounts.. but it is because I use the real deal. Smart Camber has a screw in one that is 100% heim joint. My dislike is simple: why install plastic when a bearing assembly will work better ??

B

I understand, but what about a street car? Wouldn't the ride with Smart Camber be a little harsh?
seanery
Eddie, I think (no experience on this one) that it would feel more precise, but not necessarily more harsh.
rhodyguy
how does one create one LARGE image to post? would the 30 second load limit prevent dial-up users from doing this? i tried a short video when i got my 73 running, i was zipping up and down the street, but no go.

kevin
Brad Roberts
Eddie, those upper mounts have nothing to do with the way your car rides. A bearing allows the car to turn with no bind. If you use plastic or rubber.. the shock shaft tends to turn in the shock and top tries to stay put. All the bearing does is give the shock a solid foundation to function from. When you hit a bump with a rubber mount... the shock pushes on the rubber mount and deflects it up prior to the shock actually doing its job. If you go solid/bearing the shock imediately starts working when you hit a bump.

I could take you for a ride in a roller bearing'd solid upper mounts car with Koni's set on soft and you would think we where in a stock 71 1.7 on 165 tires. All this race type stuff you hear us talking about make the car ride better than ever.

B
Eddie Williams
Makes sense, I'm also trying to learn all this suspension stuff. I assumed that the rubber bushings also absorbed some of the road vibrations, etc. By using ball bearings the shock and spring are doing all of the work, like they should be. I'm trying to build a decent daily driver, I was thinking the bushings would be a good compromise, better than the deteriorating rubber in the car now, but not as "racey" (or expensive) as the bearing setups.
Brad Roberts
Save the money and look for a used pair of stock 911 uppers that are not worn out (from a 88 Carrera or something). Your thoughts are correct.. you dont need the upper bearing pieces. Honestly.. I have installed quite few of the upper bearings into stock plates and the stock rubber doesnt seem to be wearing out.

Kevin,

You probably wont be able to upload a pic that size from dialup. If you want to email it to me or another admin we can put it on the server for you and you can link to it.

B
Aaron Cox
Hey B, are the tarret monoball strut mounts anygood?
Brad Roberts
They are very good. Only small issue is the upper bearing he uses is quite large. The bearing size itself limits the amount of neg. camber you can get before the portion of the mount that holds the bearing hits the tub. They are a work of art and basically number 2 on the market in my book.

Number 1 and the most expensive are the WEVO uppers. They are very thin and very light stainless cast pieces with a tiny tiny upper bearing that allows a TON of neg. camber before it hits the tub. It essentially requires NO hacking of the tub to get the neg. that some of these new race tires require.

B
rhodyguy
that's ok brad. i was just hoping avoid taking up the whole screen to post a picture.

kevin
campbellcj
Z - I have some extra Bilstein lower perches here if you need 'em. No springs or top hats though.

I will have some threaded collars and hats available soon. I ordered some "better" versions from Coleman. They are for 2.5x10" coilovers.
Joe Bob
Will they fit on Konis? That's what's under Blondie right now....
campbellcj
QUOTE(mikez @ Jan 2 2004, 12:21 PM)
Will they fit on Konis? That's what's under Blondie right now....

I dunno if the diameter is the same. I have the yellow Bilsteins. I think Mueller posted some shock tube measurements a while back?
Eric_Shea
Z... don't feel bad. He hasn't shipped my parts either lol3.gif

chair.gif
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Jan 2 2004, 11:03 AM)
Number 1 and the most expensive are the WEVO uppers. They are very thin and very light stainless cast pieces...

can we get a link to those, please ?

i need to replace all the 911's suspension parts and need to start making my wish list of whose parts go where...

(i hope to keep the A-arms but i don't recall them having antiroll bar U-tabs so they might go too...)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.