Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT - Computer Video Card comparison
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Scott Carlberg
I was looking at the Specials at Fry's Electronics and saw that they had a Video Card for $29.99 (After the Rebate) It's a XFX 8600GS.

I then happen to go to the Newegg site and noticed two different XFX 8600GS' Video Cards. While I can *read* the differences at the link below, I'm Not sure what those differences mean! confused24.gif biggrin.gif

IF anyone has the time, could you look at the link below and share your thoughts on the 2 Video Cards in the 'comparison'.
Thanks for the time.

Video Card Comparison
roadster fan
Hey Scott,

I don't know alot about video cards but by reading the comparison, looks like you get a fan, and a little better max resolution.

If you will notice a difference depends on what your main purpose for the card is.

Jim
Scott Carlberg
Thanks Jim,
I noticed those 2 facts as well.

Todd Enlund
The main difference is that the more expensive card has 512 MB of RAM on the card, while the less expensive card has 256 MB on the card, and will use another 256 MB of your system RAM to reach 512 MB.

Do you use your computer for gaming?
Scott Carlberg
No I don't use my computer for Gaming.

But I figured the more RAM the card brought to the mix, the better off it would perform.

One of the other things I noticed - something else that I NEED, is that the more expensive Card also has the S-Video line Out.
Todd Enlund
QUOTE(Scott Carlberg @ Nov 23 2007, 11:30 AM) *

No I don't use my computer for Gaming.

But I figured the more RAM the card brought to the mix, the better off it would perform.

One of the other things I noticed - something else that I NEED, is that the more expensive Card also has the S-Video line Out.

They both have S-Video out, the specs just don't mention it. Almost all cards have S-video these days. The cheaper one does not have a fan, which will make it much quieter, although it will run hotter.

More RAM does two things... it gives you higher resolution at a given color depth, and it accelerates 3D performance. If you are not gaming, then as long as you have enough RAM to run the resolution that you want, you are good. I'm running two monitors at 1280x1024 on a 7300GS w/256MB under Vista with Aero turned on, and it performs just dandy. On my old system, I ran the same monitors on 32MB with Win2K. Users that don't game tend to buy more than they really need.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.