Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: '76 key woes
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
WyKev
Well, now that I have a title, I thought I would get a key. aktion035.gif

Three locks later, I have 3 Different keys! Both doors and the trunk now have keys but none work the Ign. chair.gif What a life this car must have had screwy.gif

So how do you pull a 76 914 ign? The search didn't help much. I swore I've read one but I've been doing lots of lurking and now I'm confused.

And no I don't have any books yet. sad.gif

Oh, and should the same key( in a less screwed up 914)work the hood and glove box lock?
markb
Check out my sig for the how-to-re-key thread. Unfortunately, the 76 is the hardest ignition to remove. If you have AAA, call them. If you don't have AAA get it. Believe me, you'll use it.
TheCabinetmaker
76 ain't so hard to pull. Remove steering wheel, remove signal/wiper stalk, remove screw that holds the switch cover piece. Now, there will be a small hole on the left side of the switch. Place small pointed object in hole and depress the spring that holds it in. Insert key in switch, turn to on position, and pull. Its been a while, so I could be off on one of the steps, but after the wheel and stalks are out it will be clearer for you.
rhodyguy
check with mobile locksmiths in your area. one should be able to come to your house, read the the ignition switch with a soft blank, and cut you 2 new keys while he's there. you can rekey the rest of the tumblers or just live with the multi-key situation.
Thack
QUOTE(vsg914 @ Nov 23 2007, 06:52 AM) *

76 ain't so hard to pull... Insert key in switch, turn to on position, and pull.

I don't think he'll be able to turn the switch because his key doesn't work the ignition. Some people put in VW switches because they are cheap and easy to get.
We can talk you through it if you decide to tackle it. It could take an afternoon or weekend to do it if you have little experience with steering columns. A locksmith might be a good idea.
markb
QUOTE(Thack @ Nov 23 2007, 11:48 AM) *

QUOTE(vsg914 @ Nov 23 2007, 06:52 AM) *

76 ain't so hard to pull... Insert key in switch, turn to on position, and pull.

I don't think he'll be able to turn the switch because his key doesn't work the ignition. Some people put in VW switches because they are cheap and easy to get.
We can talk you through it if you decide to tackle it. It could take an afternoon or weekend to do it if you have little experience with steering columns. A locksmith might be a good idea.

Yep, if you can't turn the switch, you can't get it out without breaking it. That's why it's so hard to pull. Call AAA & have them make a key on the spot, and then re-key everything else to match the ignition switch.
WyKev
Yea, the process is called impressioning. Basically filing a key to fit. However, not every locksmith is competant in it. I know, 'cause I IS one.

Looks like I'm pulling a wheel on Sat and learning a new column ar15.gif sawzall-smiley.gif

Just for grins, I'm going to check and see if they make the Porcha biggrin.gif blank in the soft metal. Doubt it though. Great stuff in that link Mark! aktion035.gif aktion035.gif I think I'll give the glovebox lock a shot first.

Thanks guys, probably hear from me tommorow.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.