Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New to the Board
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Sleepin
Many of us have one of these stories, and I realize many of you will see the Newbie posting on different topics and wonder who it is and where he came from so on that note, I have a story.

After graduating high school in 1992 I decided to move up to Alaska to work in the fishing industry for a summer. After doing that I moved back to Cali and spent most of my earnings on a '71 1.7L 914. It was a bright red car with all the vinyl removed from the sails and roof. Shortly after I bought it I had a job offer here in Colorado and after a quick clutch change, I drove it to Colorado. Turns out I would find quite the 914 guru working in a little shop right here in Grand Junction....I am trying to remember his name...I think his last name was Jackson (I know some of his race prepped 914's had Zuffinhaulin decals on them)...but anyway..
I had the car here for a while, had to replace the ECU and move the fuel pump due to the vapor lock issue. (unbeknownst to me I also had given my future wife a ride in my car...although at the time I was 19 and she was 14....so that sounds perverted...but she was one of my cousins friends...an entirely different story)
I then got a job offer in Wisconsin that was too good to pass up, so I decided to drive the little red car to Wisconsin. Somewhere in Kansas the alternator gave out....then in Omaha I pulled into a gas station to fill up, went to leave and the car would not move. I could not get any gear whatsoever (I can hear the veteran 914'ers groaning now)... I had it put on a lift and checked out, turns out that some if the internal linkage on my rearshifter transaxle had broken. So being the young hotheaded kid that I was, I had enough! I told the guy that was checking out my car that I would trade him (if you really love 914's you should stop reading now....) for a ride to the airport and a plane ticket to Wisconsin! (I warned you did'nt I?)

So I had made his day....and made myself a memory that I would kick myself for years to come! Since then I have built a few different cars that were fast and fun, I did a 330whp Civic, helped build a 10 second CRX, rebuilt a 71 Midget, and built (my current car) a '72 SBC supercharged Nova (which I may be selling to buy another 914 to relive the memories of yesteryear.)

On that note, and at this time I am only a wannabe.... thank you for listen to me ramble! If you know if any decent 914 for sale in the Colorado/Utah/Arizona area for under $6k please let me know!

Eric
markb
welcome.png
I think there's quite the Colorado contingent out there.
Sleepin
QUOTE(markb @ Nov 22 2007, 10:36 PM) *

welcome.png

I know the scene used to be fairly big out here, something to do with the desert and air cooled engines, I imagine. One of the sparks to my re-intrest was seeing about 30 914's blow past me on I-70 this summer!
TINCAN914
welcome.png
Eric there are a bunch of us in Colorado, some not as active as others.
check www.clubnarp.com. Started by a Colo guy and many of us post there.
Not to take from here, there is a wealth of knoowledge here.

Oh and check the classifides here I saw a few nice ones in your price range here last week.

Brian
Gint
QUOTE(Sleepin @ Nov 22 2007, 10:41 PM) *

QUOTE(markb @ Nov 22 2007, 10:36 PM) *

welcome.png

I know the scene used to be fairly big out here, something to do with the desert and air cooled engines, I imagine. One of the sparks to my re-intrest was seeing about 30 914's blow past me on I-70 this summer!

That very well could have been us on the way to or back from Moab and the RRC.

By the way, it's Alan Johnson.
Sleepin
QUOTE(Gint @ Nov 23 2007, 09:31 AM) *

That very well could have been us on the way to or back from Moab and the RRC.

By the way, it's Alan Johnson.

Could have been you guys then, it made me ninefourteensick! Yes and that was his name, Alan Johnson! Is he still around? Still in the business? I know he knew within 2 minutes of me bringing the car in, exactly what was wrong with it, and some of his racecars were amazing!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.